The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 19, 2011, 05:59 PM   #1
junker

High Standard Double Nine Revolver Ejector Spring Woes

The ejector is binding and will not return by spring tension. Upon disassembly I found the ejector return spring was mangled and binding up.

I found the part online at the URL below and ordered it.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog...2860E+&catid=0

It appears to be too big. if you see my picture below I believe that the spring should seat on the ejector rod lip "A" but should slide within the clearance "B" when the ejector rod is pressed.

If it is not allowed to pass within "B" then then the spring remains full compressed and doesn't allow it to pull the ejector back in. I know this because I tried various springs I found around the house. The initial binding problem is a result of the mangled original spring getting jammed in clearance "B".

I have analyzed this for a long time and see this as the only possible way it can work. In the picture, on the far right, the original spring is top and new one bottom.

I am seeking any helpful advice. Thanks!

Last edited by junker; September 19, 2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old September 19, 2011, 07:46 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Does your gun have the little washer and C ring shown in that diagram (15 and 16)? If not you have an earlier gun that did not have an ejector rod spring. The one you took out could have been a previous owner's attempt to put one in.

If you do have the later model, and the spring won't fit, I can only suggest returning it to GPC and ask for the correct one.

Jim
Old September 20, 2011, 05:23 AM   #3
junker

Yes, my gun has all of the parts in the diagram. Thanks for looking.
Old September 20, 2011, 04:04 PM   #4
mkk41

GPC can and often does screw up even the simplist order. I always deal with Bob's Gun Parts. www.gun-parts.com.
Old September 26, 2011, 07:22 PM   #5
junker

UPDATE: Numrich gun parts is a bunch of punks, they wouldn't make any effort to find the correct part. They did offer to refund the $2 spring if I ship it back... I'll get right on that.

I called the manufacturer and they couldn't help either, but they were friendly and at least they made an effort.

Last resort, I only had to take apart 2 ballpoint pens before I found the perfect size spring. I realize it's probably a poor quality spring but at the ejector works fantastic... for now.
Old September 27, 2011, 02:01 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Ball pen makers routinely test their springs to 100,000 cycles and they seldom fail.

And to think the nut-case gurus say we have to change all of the "high quality" springs in our guns once a day and twice on Sundays! (Seriously, one "expert" advised changing all the springs in a 1911 type every 100 rounds!!!! I hope the spring makers pay him well.)

Jim
Old October 1, 2011, 07:49 PM   #7
22FOREVER

I have the same problem. Got so mad just sacked up gun in safe. Will have to get it out now. thanks