The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 11, 2009, 09:02 PM   #1
butch56

Remington 700 Trigger

The trigger pull on my remington is really bad. the worst part is the 3 screws to make adj I only one can free onr of them. The other two are frozen belive me I have tried almost every thing soaking in Pentrating oil to no luck. I will take any suggestion.
How hard is is to replace the hole trigger assembly and what is a good trigger to use. I do want to keep the safety on the rifle Does any one know of a good site for info thanks
Butch
Old February 11, 2009, 09:09 PM   #2
jjwestbrook

remington puts a clear sealant on the screws, you can use the tip of a soldering iron to heat them up and loosen the screws. the easiest thing to do is replace the trigger assembly with a timney trigger. it isnt too complicated. and it is safer , adjusting the factory screws isnt reccommended for the inexperienced.
Old February 11, 2009, 09:18 PM   #3
butch56

Thanks

I did think about heat but using a solding iron is a good idea I will give it a try thanks Butch
Old February 11, 2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Inspector3711

Take a look at Rifle Basix triggers as well if you can't get it to work. I have two RB triggers and they're great. Takes 15 minutes to install and 10 minutes on the phone to adjust..
Old February 11, 2009, 09:58 PM   #5
butch56

Thanks inspector I willlook into that trigger Butch
Old February 12, 2009, 11:00 AM   #6
fireroad

+1 on the rifle Basix trigger. I recently tried to adjust my stock trigger and it worked great at first...the gun stopped firing 26 shots latter. I did tons of research and got the rifle basix trigger from midwya (it was on sale, still might be). I'm installing it this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old February 12, 2009, 11:07 AM   #7
Alleykat

Quote:
+1 on the rifle Basix trigger. I recently tried to adjust my stock trigger and it worked great at first...the gun stopped firing 26 shots latter. I did tons of research and got the rifle basix trigger from midwya (it was on sale, still might be). I'm installing it this weekend, I'll let you know how it goes.
But, did you ever respond in the other thread about which screw(s) you adjusted and how??

I think Remington must be using Loctite on the engagement (rear) screw in some newer 700s. I've adjusted dozens of 700 triggers, but was unable to adjust the engagment screw on a new 700 recently.
Old February 12, 2009, 08:59 PM   #8
fireroad

I believe I replyed back in the other thread but have not had a chance to test back and report. My stock trigger had no creep or overtravel, it was just super heavy. I backed out the pull screw one half turn and had a perfect trigger (while it lasted). Backed the screw back in...still no fire. Did the complete adjustment per another posters instructions and will be field testing tomorrow...wish me luck!
Old February 13, 2009, 06:00 PM   #9
hodaka

I'm sure an aftermarket will work fine but I have had good luck adjusting the stock trigger on the ones I have played with. Yes, Remington now uses some version of locktite but I have broken it loose even without heat, although heat would surely help. You can google up the instructions, but please use care and bump test the heck out of it and don't trust the trigger or the safety for a while (even with an aftermarket).
Old February 14, 2009, 10:31 AM   #10
Alleykat

Quote:
I believe I replyed back in the other thread but have not had a chance to test back and report. My stock trigger had no creep or overtravel, it was just super heavy. I backed out the pull screw one half turn and had a perfect trigger (while it lasted). Backed the screw back in...still no fire. Did the complete adjustment per another posters instructions and will be field testing tomorrow...wish me luck!
Your post might not make it obvious to anybody except somebody who actually knows which of the screws is the "pull" screw. I'm assuming, then, that you backed out the bottom front screw? I have adjusted a bunch of 700 triggers. Have run across a few in which the trigger return spring was binding in its channel, makeing adjustment "iffy", if not impossible.