The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2008, 09:45 AM   #1
PetreTG

I'm interested in learning to reload and have a few questions about possible purchase

I found this reloading kit for sale on a close out deal and I'm considering purchasing it for trying to reload. It's not very expensive especially with the huge discount.

Lyman - T-Mag II complete kit
INCLUDES:
# T-Mag II Turret Press
# Universal Trimmer with Expanded Pilot Multi-pack
# Pro 500 Reloading Scale
# #55 Powder Measure
# Universal Priming Arm
# Primer Tray
# Auto Primer Feed
# Extra Decapping Pins
# 48th Edition Reloading Handbook
# Primer Catcher
# Deburring Tool
# Powder Funnel
# Quick Release Turret System (T-Mag Kit)
# Case Lube Kit
# 7/8" x 14 Adapter (mounts #55 powder measure in press turret)
# Die Set & Shellholder (see below)

Is this a good kit ? ... I can get a heck of a deal on it.

Is that basically everything you need except the brass , primers , powder and projectile ?

Is it cheaper to reload than to just buy the good but affordable factory ammo? (I notice some of the supplies can be pretty pricey !

Thanks!
Old February 16, 2008, 10:03 AM   #2
WESHOOT2

good stuff

What's "a heck of a deal"?

Lyman offers quality gear.

Reloading is one third the cost of 'factory' ammo once certain costs get absorbed.....but then you spend those savings on more shootin'.

So, define "deal"?
Old February 16, 2008, 10:36 AM   #3
PetreTG

$299 minus 40%

I believe they call it the "Expert Kit" if I remember correctly.
Old February 16, 2008, 10:44 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

buy for $180

(you can sell the pieces separate for more....)
Old February 16, 2008, 11:29 AM   #5
PetreTG

Thanks Weshoot2 ... if I buy it I'd keep it.

Is this an easy set up to use ? I know very little about reloading at this point , but think it's a good Idea to learn .

Do I need anything else to get started besides what's in this kit ?

A tumbler maybe ?
Old February 16, 2008, 11:39 AM   #6
CrustyFN

I have never used one but I know a few people that do. All of them have said that the priming system doesn't work very good so they all hand prime. A lot of them went to a Lee Classic Turret because the Lyman turret isn't much faster than a single stage press. The classic turret is at least twice as fast. You can get setup with the classic turret for under $200. I think it's a great press and if you are going to load rifle ammo then you will be happy but if you are looking for any quantity of pistol ammo then you would want something faster.
Rusty
Old February 16, 2008, 12:58 PM   #7
TexasSeaRay

$180 sounds like a fair deal

I'd probably buy it if I were you.

Don't know much about the Lyman press, but I'll echo what I've heard about it not being as fast as some of the other turret presses.

That means it's perfect for you as a novice/beginning reloader. Speed is the LAST thing you want.

Just remember the cardinal rule in reloading: It's better to be slow and right, than fast and wrong."

Grab the kit and come back here with pics and questions.

Jeff

So to those of you who are members of neither, thanks for nothing.
Old February 16, 2008, 01:45 PM   #8
PetreTG

Thanks for all the advice guys ... I'm gonna get it!

Do I need anything else ?
Old February 16, 2008, 01:48 PM   #9
DaveInGA

I agree with CrustyFN and I owned a Lyman T-Mag press. Slower than molasses to load on. For the same money, you could buy a Lee Classic Turret setup and be loading 200 rounds an hour instead of 50 (very experienced reloader) or less (new reloader).

Sometimes a bargain ain't a bargain. The Lyman T-mag isn't much more than a mediocre single stage with a lousy priming system. The Lee Classic Turret, on the other hand, is a darn nice press with a lot of wonderful innovative features.

Regards,

Dave
Old February 16, 2008, 01:52 PM   #10
WESHOOT2

tons of stuff more

>Safety glasses; wear them without exception if touching anything other than paper

>more...which you'll discover after buying the kit and starting....

And I suggest the Lyman manual offers a great beginner's 'How-to' on reloading.

It is fairly straightforward: First resize the clean case (or size if new), also removing the old primer (or ensuring a hole in a new case); seat a new primer; flare the case mouth to ease seating a bullet; add powder; seat bullet; crimp in some fashion; shoot.
There are some nuances you might want to bone up on (hint: Primers can explode).
Old February 16, 2008, 01:57 PM   #11
PetreTG

Quote:
I agree with CrustyFN and I owned a Lyman T-Mag press. Slower than molasses to load on. For the same money, you could buy a Lee Classic Turret setup and be loading 200 rounds an hour instead of 50 (very experienced reloader) or less (new reloader).

Sometimes a bargain ain't a bargain. The Lyman T-mag isn't much more than a mediocre single stage with a lousy priming system. The Lee Classic Turret, on the other hand, is a darn nice press with a lot of wonderful innovative features.

Regards,

Dave
This is a T-MAG II is that any better ???

Here's a picture and description ... THEY CLAIM it's "America's FASTEST TURRET PRESS"

Lyman's TMAG II Expert Kit
Lyman
There is no better way to get started in reloading than with Lyman's popular "Expert Kit". It is the one kit that offers a complete selection of top quality equipment. All you need to add is your reloading components and you are ready to load ammunition of the highest quality. The Expert Kit starts with a choice of the new T-Mag II Turret Press or New Crusher II Single Station Press. After you pick your press you get a complete selection of all the best Lyman tools in one package. For powder handling, there's our high quality 500 scale and famous number55 Powder Measure. When it comes to case trimming, there is no better product than our efficient Universal Case Trimmer with universal chuckhead. No collets required! To complete this fine package are most of the small, but necessary, accessories that add speed and versatility. This may be your first purchase of reloading equipment. Make it the best. The Lyman Expert Kit makes you an expert right out of the box!
Old February 16, 2008, 01:58 PM   #12
PetreTG

I checked CABELA's ... they want $325 for this kit!

Old February 16, 2008, 02:02 PM   #13
WESHOOT2

fast enough

Relax; it's an excellent durable lifetime-service press.

When you're comfy we can teach "faster".
Old February 16, 2008, 03:42 PM   #14
CrustyFN

The Lyman press is a fine press and looks like you found a great price. Again it depends on your needs. It will still only be half as fast as the Classic Turret. If you don't need much ammo I would say go for it. If you will be reloading a few hundred rounds a week or more I would look into something else. Just my $.02
Rusty
Old February 16, 2008, 06:41 PM   #15
PetreTG

Well ... I bought it as well as a bunch of different die sets in the calibers I own.

With all the dies and holders and this set , out the door I was at $400. Carbide die sets add up fast!!!

The guy there that I dealt with is a reloader and he said this set up is as fast as you want it to be , because you don't have to switch the dies between operations. He had one there he said was faster made by Horndady that had an automatic powder feed mechanism , but it was nearly $200 more without all the other stuff that this set came with.

I bought all carbide die sets except for 30-06 and .223 .... was that wise?

I was told the rifle cartridges didn't really need the carbide , but the straight walled handgun casings , carbide was better (And a lot more money)

Thanks for all the advice !
Old February 16, 2008, 08:06 PM   #16
Shane Tuttle
Staff

The Hornady the salesman was talking about was probably the Lock 'N' Load AP. Yes, in a general statement, it will produce ammo faster. However, I must REALLY emphasize that speed is the last thing you should be concerned. I honestly don't know much about the Lyman press you bought. But, I do know the Lyman products I've bought in the past are good quality and never had any issues on warranty claims.

Quote:
I bought all carbide die sets except for 30-06 and .223 .... was that wise?

I was told the rifle cartridges didn't really need the carbide , but the straight walled handgun casings , carbide was better (And a lot more money)
Yes, a good decision if you're on a budget. However, there's a catch. On the rifle brass, you'll need to lube all the cases if you full length size. If you are neck sizing only, then the neck is all you'll need to do. Be sure to be very careful not to use too much, especially on the shoulder.
On carbide dies for pistol straight wall brass, you don't necessarily need to lube the cases before sizing. I lube about 1/3 of the brass just to make it easier on the sizing process. I haven't seen any accelerated wear not lubing straight wall cases for carbide dies.

You did well, my young friend...

Quote:
A tumbler maybe ?
You'll get many different opinions on this, but I like to tumble my brass. www.midwayusa.com will be you best friend when buying reloading stuff. Their Frankford Arsenal tumbler set and media polish will serve you well. I bought their walnut and corn media in big buckets and it'll last until kingdom come. If you're on a budget, your local pet store should have "lizard litter". It's basically crushed walnut. It's a few bucks cheaper, but I don't like it because it's ground up too fine and produces more dust than normal. To counter this, I cut up used dryer sheets in 2x2 inch squares and place a couple in the tumbler. It helps to keep the dust down to a minimum.

The last, yet most important advice that I can give you is this:
1. Read the reloading manual thoroughly and be sure that you understand the process before jumping in.
2. If you get stuck, STOP. Fire a thread out here, PM one of us, or use the search function on the toolbar on this board. We're here to help out. Just don't assume. This can and will hurt you....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old February 16, 2008, 08:23 PM   #17
CrustyFN

Congrats on the new press. I hope you enjoy it and at least you are getting started.
Rusty