The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2008, 10:03 AM   #1
patkinson

Reloading die question

Do most bench shooters use full length or neck sizing dies and is there any difference between neck sizing dies? Thanks.
Old February 14, 2008, 10:41 AM   #2
Sevens

Not being an actual competitive BR shooter, I can't truthfully answer that question. I do know that Lee has run a series of ads depicting a bench rest record holder that uses their collet neck sizing die.

As for whether there is a difference between manufacturer's-- yes. Only Lee uses the collet & mandrel design because they have a patent on it for the time being. Whether or not that makes it better is certainly up to debate. I can tell you that I bought one in 8x57 and I'm disappointed because it doesn't give me enough neck tension to hold a bullet. Apparently, this is a common occurrence and everyone tells me I need to chuck the mandrel in to a drill press and turn it a down a tad... which I cannot see possibly see me doing accurately. Lee even says this much in the instructions, and wants me to send it back to them with $5 to turn it down for me, which still has me baffled.

I'm a Lee guy but wholly disappointed with this scenario. Others have terrific results with the collet neck sizing die.

One thing for sure-- if you have a rifle that can get by with only neck sizing (bolt action, single shot) and the die works for you, you'll not only lengthen the life of your brass, but you'll cut your reloading time in half or more because you don't need to lube or full-length size cases. It'll save a heap of wear and tear on your arm, too.
Old February 14, 2008, 10:47 AM   #3
TNFrank

As a general rule if the loads will be used in the same gun all the time you can get away with neck sizing only. It'll be less ware and tear on the brass and since the brass is fire formed to the chamber you might see a bit better accuracy too. If your handloads will be used in a couple different rifles then full length sizing is the only way to go.
Old February 14, 2008, 06:24 PM   #4
wncchester

"Do most bench shooters use full length or neck sizing dies"

Neck sizers. But, serious competetors don't routinely use OUR dies. Ours are threaded 7/8" x 14 for use in a press, theirs are "hand dies", made without threads. They use a small arbor press to push the cases in and out and they have no shell holders to grasp the case.

It's often mentioned that BR shooters don't weigh individual charges, they just drop powder from their measure and shoot. That's true but deceptive; they don't use the inexpensive measures we use!

Unless we have tightly fitted rifles with minimal chambers, high grade barrels and expert bedding, trying to use intense BR methods for our reloading is a fruitless pursuit. It isn't twice as hard to reduce a 1" group to 1/2", it is four times as hard and few of us can attain that with factory rifles!