The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2008, 12:40 PM   #1
Foxbat

Magnum Primers vs regular

I have never used Magnum primers in my loads. Today I bought some primers, and noticed they gave me CCI Magnum.

Would using these in place of the regular CCI affect my loads? Should I go back and exchange these?
Old February 7, 2008, 03:14 PM   #2
AKGunner

I'm interested in this answer too. I wasn't GIVEN magnum primers. I picked them out MYSELF!! I'd kinda like to use them in my 45 acp loads. I typically use 5.6 grains of w231 with lead 200 gr swc bullet. I'm mostly shooting for up close work, double taps, etc. I'm not concerned about max accuracy at longer ranges.

Will the magnum primers be okay? Mostly concerned about safety/excess gun wear.

Thanks.
Old February 7, 2008, 03:23 PM   #3
Foxbat

I went to cci site and there, in the FAQ section, is the answer. Basically it says that the load has to be developed with a particular primer in mind... sort of what we already know... and then, that "Substituting a magnum primer for a standard one without a charge adjustment will nearly always increase pressures."

I would feel in cases when your load is well below max, you can do the sub, but in my case these particular loads are already hot, so I will definitely exchange them.

But if you are developing your load starting with low setting, then you may use the magnum primers.
Old February 7, 2008, 11:00 PM   #4
joneb

What are you loading ? We are not psychics here, please provide as much info as possible.
Old February 8, 2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Foxbat

These primers are for the .45ACP, the load is pretty hot already, so I was not willing to take chances on higher pressure, and didn't want to start developing again. If my standard load was well below max, I would not have much concern.

I exchanged the primers.
Old February 8, 2008, 10:03 AM   #6
TNFrank

As a general rule you only need a mag primer if you're loading a lot of powder or using a slow powder. In most cases what you'd be using in a 45acp round wouldn't need a mag primer.
Old February 12, 2008, 08:57 PM   #7
fredneck

I never use magnum primers unless in heavy loadings of WW296 in say a 44 magnum load. Regular primers do just fine even with large doses of 2400 in heavy revolver loads. Absolutely not necessary otherwise.
Old February 13, 2008, 11:18 PM   #8
hikingman

The guys on the other side of the counter might make a mistake once in a while, and your QC caught the potential mistake! I would stick to LP and not Magnum LP primers for 45 ACP. They should swap them when you make a trip back to the store...
Old February 14, 2008, 07:55 AM   #9
Tim R

I asked a buddy one time who was going by the White Elephant in Spokane to pick up some pistol primers for me. I told him 4 times I wanted standard primers not mags.....so what does he bring me? Mag primers. They shot fine in my not at max load.
Old February 14, 2008, 12:09 PM   #10
Smokey Joe

Returning primers...

Foxbat--You may be stuck w/the magnums. Every component store I've ever been in has a sign: "Reloading components are not returnable. All sales final." or something to the same effect.

Besides, you already opened the package and used some of the primers. Trade the rest with a buddy who does a reload that uses the magnums.

For the store, it's a CYA thing. Once the components leave the store, how do they know you didn't switch something in the packaging. Can't really blame them, although I've bought the wrong stuff once or twice myself. Well, live & learn.

The reloading manuals all warn against substituting magnum for standard primers when reloading ammunition. IMHO it's foolhardy to do so.

--Smokey Joe
Old February 15, 2008, 12:57 PM   #11
rcupka

How is that Winchester lists the primers as being for both standard and magnum loads? are the splitting the difference?
Old February 15, 2008, 01:49 PM   #12
freakshow10mm

Yes, Winchester LPs are a dual purpose primer.

Drop the load down to starting charge and work up any time you change primers. Using a magnum primer may raise the pressure and you might see pressure sign sooner. Everything else still applies.

45 Auto is the only thing that doesn't get magnum primers. Everything else I load does whether the data calls for it or not.
Old February 16, 2008, 10:50 AM   #13
WESHOOT2

I am a teste

I test different primers; I start low and work up; I rarely use Magnum primers in 45 ACP ammo (but I do).

Why?

Because doing so made for a better load; more accurate, lower velocity deviations, or certain special concerns like extreme-temperature reliable ignition.

But not often.
Old February 16, 2008, 11:01 AM   #14
Foxbat

Actually, I returned them, I did not use any, so the store guys immediately admitted their fault and exchanged. But they know me.

On subject of dual-purpose Winchester primers - I used them. The result is velocities slightly higher than with normal primers, by about 20fps. No big deal.