The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 19, 2005, 07:19 AM   #1
bclark1

Powder Recall -- Any type, any size.

Well, I don't reload, but I got this in my box this morning so I figured I'd pass it along. I did do a quick forum search to make sure it's not a repost and it doesn't appear to be.

Quote:
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2005 9:36 AM
Subject: A L E R T!!! 'Unique' Powder Recall by Alliant

FYI..Recall . . . Please disemminate to any and all that you can and in
order to help prevent any damage or injury:

http://alliantpowder.com/recall.php

Product Recall

July 6, 2005

Product description: Unique(r) smokeless powder, LOT numbers 850, 859,
861, 868, 872, 876, 890, 898 and 907.

Warning:
Alliant Powder has determined a very small number of eight pound (8 lb.)
Alliant Powder Unique" smokeless powder containers may contain Alliant
Powder Bullseye" smokeless powder.

LOADING BULLSEYE" SMOKELESS POWDER INTO ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION IN WHICH
THE RECIPE CALLS FOR UNIQUE" SMOKELESS POWDER MAY RESULT IN HIGH
PRESSURE LOADS AND SUBSEQUENT GUN DAMAGE OR PERSONAL INJURY.

If you are in possession of an eight pound (8 lb.) bottle of Alliant
Powder Unique" with any of the above noted lot numbers, please
immediately cease use of this product and notify Alliant Powder by
calling 800-276-9337 or emailing [email protected]

Lot numbers are located on the bottom of each bottle.
Old July 19, 2005, 09:19 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

Thanks, bclark1, very good info. I think this needs to be stuck at the top for a while.
Old July 19, 2005, 09:50 AM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Another thank you note - - -

We're all obliged to you for passing it along, bclark1. This valuable information has already been re-posted on the H&R Forum at The High Road, with proper credit to you.

Mal, you apparently made your post on THR, referencing this thread while I was composing mine off line. Hey, a double tap sure beats not relaying the caution, huh?

Best,
Johnny
Old July 19, 2005, 11:34 AM   #4
bclark1

Just so I give proper credit as well, it was forwarded to me by a police instructor from the U of Illinois police training institute. I just included the generic mailing list reference in the quote, though, because I worry about posting people's private contact info and whatnot. Glad to be of help passing it on.
Old May 25, 2006, 07:34 AM   #5
redhawk41

Hodgdon Powder issues H-4227 Recall

Just read this in the latest issue of Rifle's Handloader magazine.

Recall affects one pound containers of H-4227 of lot number 10328054230, packaged on March 31, 2005 a small number of which may contain H-4198 instead of H-4227.
Old May 25, 2006, 12:22 PM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Confirmed.

PRODUCT RECALL

June 7, 2005

HODGDON POWDER COMPANY, INC.
SMOKELESS POWDER

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: H4227 SMOKELESS POWDER – 1 LB. CONTAINER, LOT NUMBER: 10328054230

WARNING: Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc. has determined that a small number of one pound (1 lb.) containers of a small lot number of Hodgdon’s H4227 smokeless powder canned on March 31, 2005 contains Hodgdon H4198 powder instead of H4227 powder.

Use of this product when loaded in cartridges and/or shotshells using standard loading data can cause a low pressure, unsafe condition, which could cause a projectile to become lodged in a firearm barrel, which upon the firing of a subsequent load, may cause personal injury to the user and/or bystander and damage to the firearm.

Users should immediately cease using this product and return it to Hodgdon Powder Co., Inc. as indicated below:

RETURN OF PRODUCT AND REPLACEMENT:
All persons in possession of Lot #10328054230 of Hodgdon’s H4227– 1 lb. containers of smokeless powder should immediately call 1-800-622-4366 (toll free) for instructions from Hodgdon’s Customer Service Dept. as to the return of this product.

Hodgdon will send you a D.O.T. approved return shipping carton at no cost to you for use in returning the product. We will also send you a replacement product at no charge.
Old August 26, 2006, 09:45 PM   #7
alan

Check the lot numberds on 8 # containers, and if there is ANY QUESTION AT ALL, call Alliant.

If the guy isn't there when you call, leave a call back number. They do get back to callers. From what I've heard, call anyhow, 800 series lot numbers, see underside of the plastic containers, are potential problems.
Old September 19, 2006, 05:14 PM   #8
Bill T

It seems there is a lot of this kind of stuff happening lately. I would think something like that would so controlled a mistake like that could never happen. Wrong powder, bad or overloaded ammo, gun recalls. You don't hear of drug companies putting the wrong pills in the wrong bottles. It's almost as if Mr. MaGoo was put in charge of QC at these places. Bill T.
Old November 8, 2006, 08:55 PM   #9
flutedchamber

Bill T,

I worked for a major pharmaceutical company for over 20 years. You would be amazed by the mistakes that are made and corners that are cut in that industry. I think the pharmaceutical industry has the ability to keep things quiet as long as the mistake is not life threatening. As far as FDA inspections go, we were always given at least 3 days notice before any FDA "surprise" inspections so we could make sure everything was tidy and we were doing everything according to GMP.
Old February 18, 2007, 11:33 PM   #10
armedak

Wow, thanks for the info!
Old March 20, 2007, 10:57 PM   #11
FM12

So THATS where i'm getting the extra 1200 fps!!(just spoofing) I do loves me some unique, though! THANKS for the update, FM12
Old April 30, 2007, 10:17 PM   #12
cop-out

cop-out

Watch loads using unique powder if they have been carried where they are subject to a shaking motion. I loaded 125 gr. .357 that were warm, but not hot. They were carried for several months in a briefcase and a glove compartment. I decided to shoot then up and reuse the brass. On the third round it finally dawned on me that the loads seemed awfully hot. I opened the cylinder of my N frame Smith to find that all 3 primers were flattened, pierced, and had flowed into the firing pin hole. It took a rap on the ejector rod to clear the empties. I pulled the bullets from the remaining rounds to find that the flakes of the unique had broken down to a fine talcum type powder. When I poured it out to burn off, it flashed like black powder. Three rounds headspaced my N frame Smith .006. I believe that a K frame would have distructed
Old July 2, 2007, 06:19 PM   #13
Sigma 40 Blaster

bclark 1, thanks for the info...I just loaded 800 rounds of .40 using Unique and have another 500 to go, thankfully I have a few 1 pound cans.

Question though, wouldn't you be able to visually tell the difference between Unique and Bullseye (this is a ball powder correct). I'm very new to reloading but have ran through a few pounds of Unique...I couldn't distinguish it from another flake powder obviously but if memory serves the two just look different...

cop-out - That's an interesting observation. I try to keep about 200-300 rounds in the back of my SUV just in case I decide to go to the range from somewhere else. Those cartridges usually don't last very long back there (I've been shooting 200-500/week since I discovered reloading) but the ones that have been back there for a month to two months do seem a little peppier than those fresh off of the press...

Anyone else noticed something like that.
Old August 28, 2007, 09:19 AM   #14
Gunner4570

Thanks for the Warning !

Thanks for the warning! I am in Onterio Canada, and I will pass this warning to others. ~ Gunner
Old October 27, 2007, 07:41 AM   #15
Red_Eagle

Lil' Gun

PRODUCT RECALL

April 11, 2003

HODGDON POWDER COMPANY, INC.
SMOKELESS POWDER

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION: LIL' GUN® SMOKELESS POWDER – 1 LB. CONTAINER, LOT NUMBER: 103080221

WARNING: Hodgdon Powder Company, Inc. has determined that a small number of one pound (1 lb.) containers of Hodgdon’s LIL' GUN smokeless powder may create excessive pressures in firearms when loaded in cartridges and/or shotshells using standard loading data. Such a condition, if present, may cause personal injury to the user and/or bystander and damage to the firearm. Users should immediately cease using this product and return it to Hodgdon Powder Co. as instructed below:

RETURN OF PRODUCT AND REPLACEMENT:
All persons in possession of Lot #103080221 of Hodgdon’s LIL’ GUN – 1 lb. containers of smokeless powder should immediately call 1-800-622-4366 (toll free) for instructions from Hodgdon’s Customer Service Dept. as to the return of this product.

Hodgdon will send you a D.O.T. approved return shipping carton at no cost to you for use in returning the product. We will also send you a replacement product at no charge.

You may find the lot number on the sticker on the bottom of the powder bottle.
Old October 27, 2007, 07:49 AM   #16
Red_Eagle

Accurate arms powder recalls

a) Powder Type: AA-3100

Lot Number: 12002 (lot number on bottom of can)

If you have this lot number, please call

b) Powder Type: AA 4064

Lot Number: 14202 (lot number on bottom of can)

If you have this lot number, please call:

1 800 497 1007 or 1 800 416 3006
Old February 12, 2008, 05:18 PM   #17
williamd

Wonder if this will help my trap scores????

Hey, Gunner4570, I know Ontario is bigger than, say Rhode Island , since my daughter lives in Toronto. Question ... if you are in that area. Several years ago I worked an engineering project near there and there was a trap range on the property at YYZ. Still there????

UofT also had a shooting range. Indoor, 22rf only I think.