The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 1, 2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Deja vu

So the wife wants to go goose hunting...

For years I have been trying to get the wife to go hunting. Other than a few coyotes and squirrels she has never enjoyed hunting.

Well this time I want to make it different! One of her girl friends went goose hunting and said how much fun it was so not the Mrs wants to go. She knows that it is mostly a game of sit and wait. But I got a good blind and bought a small heater to help with the cold. I will also bring some hot water for Coco. I also have access to a fair amount of decoys. I have seen geese on this field every morning and evening.

Now for the down side. She likes my Lever action Chiappa 1887. I feel it is a good gun but it is only chambered in 2 3/4 inch rounds. Is there a good 2 3/4 inch round? Remember this is migratory birds so no lead is allowed. Though I am more than willing to use premium ammo such as heavy shot or black cloud to make her hunt better.

Any other advise to make the hunt more enjoyable for the Mrs.?

p.s. I have invited the wife's friend and husband to come along as well.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old December 2, 2013, 02:21 PM   #2
Buzzcook

iirc Federal has 2 3/4 goose shot.
Old December 2, 2013, 03:15 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Any other advise to make the hunt more enjoyable for the Mrs.?
By all means take her along. I wouldn't worry about shell length. But I would be concerned about a shells shot material. {You would want your Mrs. to be legal in the field.} No harm in shooting holes in the sky with 2-3/4s #4s or 6s. And praising her for a good hit {on one of yours occasionally falling} is likely to keep things interesting for her. Who knows your wife'ee may come home with a wanting need from Santa to leave her a new Citori Feather Lightning under dat tree. Enjoy your hunt together.
Old December 4, 2013, 12:42 PM   #4
SPEMack618

Make sure she is dressed for the cold. That's a big one. My little sister really took to waterfowl hunting after we invested in good base layers for her.

Quality gloves and a nice warm hat that covers the ears.

Also, hand warmers are convient.

Blackcloud, Remington Hyper Sonic, and Winchester Blind Side all make 2 3/4 steel BB loads, which should work for geese.
Old December 4, 2013, 06:12 PM   #5
TJH3781

Based on your OP, I would guess that you will be hunting birds that are decoying. The 4's are probably adequate, but a larger shot, 2's would be more appropriate. A lot depends on your ability to call & judge range.

Also, I have hunted Geese with a female partner & recommend that you also take along something for her to relieve herself in. A 5 Gal. bucket with an appropriate seat should do. It can be outside the blind for privacy, but make sure it cannot be seen by any other hunters in your area.