The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 28, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Backwoodsboy

Raccoon

Some of the years catch so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20131028_084437_223-1.jpg (196.5 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20131028_095809_215.jpg (247.2 KB, 163 views)
Old October 28, 2013, 01:27 PM   #2
BoogieMan

Always wondered do they make it to the table or hunted/trapped for skins only?
I cant see racoon as being a very good taste.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old October 28, 2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Pahoo

Not everthing, tastes like chicken !!

Nice catch and welcome aboard !!!

Quote:
Always wondered do they make it to the table or hunted/trapped for skins only? I cant see raccoon as being a very good taste.
They are good to eat, especially the young ones. There are a number of groups around here, that trap them. Although the primary reason, is not to eat, the meat does not go to waste as it is donated, to conservation groups and churches that hold yearly, wild game feeds. ....

Like most wild game, knowing how to cook them, is the secret. Now then, at one of these feeds, they had Muskrat. Had to give that one a second thought but tried it and it was good. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 28, 2013, 05:51 PM   #4
shortwave

Agree with Pahoo. The young ones are tasty. Especially when barbequed.
Old October 30, 2013, 02:33 AM   #5
Keg

Quote:
The young ones are tasty. Especially when barbequed.
Thats the only way i've had it....Not bad....
Old October 30, 2013, 06:10 AM   #6
BoogieMan

@Pahoo- I have had muskrat breaded and deep fried several times. IMO the flavor is excellent, but I dont care for how bony the little critters are.
Not many people around here seem to run hounds for coons any more. Its a shame because S. NJ has perfect areas flat and lots of swamps. I think the issue is that all the land is owned and posted.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 3, 2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Clark

Clean the blood off the concrete.

I clean raccoon blood off my shop floor with alcohol.

The wife has been watching CSI and I am afraid she will spray my floor with Luminol.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old November 4, 2013, 06:39 AM   #8
Mobuck

With the number of exotic worms and parasites showing up in omnivorous wild animals lately, I'll pass on eating any of those. I've eaten coon in the far distant past and beaver once upon a time but no more.
Old November 4, 2013, 09:16 AM   #9
kraigwy

I use to trap a lot of 'coon and hunted them with dogs in the late 90s early '70s.

I had a real nice pair of black and tans.

Didn't eat them, but I made good money with there hides. Financed my reloading equipment and got me a few guns.

I bones can't handle wading freezing water and chasing hounds all night but I have so great memories.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 4, 2013, 01:43 PM   #10
shortwave

kraigwy,

I'm very glad you didn't eat the black and tans. And wished you hadn't sold their hides either. They are nice dogs.
Old November 4, 2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Pahoo

Just tell yourself that it's all protein !!!

Quote:
With the number of exotic worms and parasites showing up in omnivorous wild animals lately, I'll pass on eating any of those. I've eaten coon in the far distant past and beaver once upon a time but no more.
Yes, I'd stick to Sushi, hamburger from China and Catfish from Vietnam. We all have choices. My wife makes the best Venison meatloaf that I have ever tasted and she won't eat any of it. ....

While in the service, I ate dog, cat and monkey. I guess I'll pass on that as well and stick to Squirrel, rabbit, ducks and other "wild" protein. .....

Bon Appétit and;
Be Safe !!!
Old November 6, 2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Picher

One time, I was hunting deer and could see some hair in the low crotch of a tree near the swamp. It was about 50 yards away and it moved a bit. I thought it was a deer lying behind the tree, so kept my distance. After about an hour, a raccoon head popped up. I was young, it was late in the morning, so I decided to shoot it. A neighbor said he'd take raccoons I'd shoot, so I fired. The coon ran up the tree with great speed, so I fired again with the '06. It was shot and fell, but came running around the tree towards me, so I fired again. Man that was some tough coon!!!

When I got to the coon, I looked around and there were THREE dead raccoons!!! My B-I-L, thinking I'd shot at a deer, yelled, "Did you get it." I yelled back, "I got THREE," realizing he thought I killed three deer. He ran through the woods so fast he sounded like a freight train coming (we didn't call him "Thrasher" for nothing). "Gotcha," I said.
Old November 6, 2013, 10:32 PM   #13
Mobuck

"Yes, I'd stick to Sushi, hamburger from China and Catfish from Vietnam"
Sorry, I don't eat any of those. 90% of the meat I eat is killed, gutted, and processed by my own hands. The remaining portion comes from the pork plant where my spouse works.
Old November 11, 2013, 12:29 PM   #14
Backwoodsboy

Here is another big boar coon, now that my truck is fixed there should be plenty more coming. As far as the table fare, as long as prepared well coons are very good eating but if prepared wrong they will make u want to run away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20131111_081726_584-1.jpg (272.2 KB, 47 views)
Old November 13, 2013, 10:18 AM   #15
MandolinMan

Backwoodsboy--

Nice looking 'coon you have there. Mind if I ask what bait your using in your DP's? I'm fairly new to trapping myself and still looking for the right 'coon bait for DP traps.
Old November 15, 2013, 04:36 PM   #16
Backwoodsboy

Mandolin man, I have tried everything from peanut butter and sardines to cherry essence, but what has worked best for me was mixing crunchy peanut butter, cherry pie filling, and bread crumbs together until the mixture is thick enough to roll into small balls. I place 2 or 3 of these around the trap and another 1 or 2 under the trigger and you can see the results.
Old November 16, 2013, 07:24 PM   #17
MandolinMan

Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely give it a try.
Old November 16, 2013, 07:54 PM   #18
Old Stony

I use those foot traps a lot to keep down the population of coons around my hog traps. I started out with marshmallows with a little fish oil on them, but it was too messy. I now use dry floating fish food and it works just fine. You can buy a 50 lb. bag for under 20 bucks and it will last most people for years of trapping.