The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: AR vs AK vs SIG
AR-15 (M4 style) 43 75.44%
AK-47 (all black) 7 12.28%
SIG 556 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20, 2012, 10:02 PM   #26
tahunua001

I voted AR.
the AR vs AK argument was answered long ago for me and as a result I finaly gave up and sold my AK. sigs just never had a chance to enter the argument for me. poor reputations, lack of aftermarket options and nobody ever seems to carry them or spare parts, the sig 556 just never got a word in edgewise in this discussion.

once the surplus ammo dries up for aks, ARs are going to have a much stronger foot in the door as far as current production ammo goes. the demand for currently produced AK ammo will go up rapidly and the companies that do manufacture in large quantities will be ill equipped to handle to increased demand. also ARs have dozens of different caliber options to choose from while AKS for the most part only have two.

aks are not nearly as easy to work on for the home gunsmith as ars.
they aren't as easy to maintain.
they don't have nearly as many replacement parts readily available and thanks to good ole 922R every single one you get is like a toy car made with a combination of megabloks and legos, you just have to cross your fingers and hope that they fit each other close enough that you don't have to fix it every time you play with it.

economically the AR is starting to overtake the AK with 5.56 ammo holding steady and the price of rifles going down while the AK is rapidly costing more and more and ammo is getting more and ore scarce and expensive.

that's just my take on the matter. you can take it or leave it.

Tags
ak47 , ar15 , homedefense , sig