The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 12, 2011, 07:45 PM   #26
shortwave

QUOTE]Y would one want to carry a firearm anyhow?[/QUOTE]

(10) In case some sneaky,pesky other country would ever decide to invade our country.
Old September 13, 2011, 05:13 PM   #27
winkytink

I'm in Tennessee, and the last handgun I bought was a stainless S&W 1911. I bought it on impulse and it took longer to pick out just the right one than it did to do the paperwork. I was literally in and out of the shop with a new gun and two boxes of ammo in under an hour, including the NICS background check (form 4473).

They jokingly call Tennessee the "patron state of shootin' stuff". As long as you have the proper ID as a resident alien I think you'd be OK.
Old September 14, 2011, 10:30 AM   #28
bikerbill

Here in texas, you don't need any sort of license to own any kind of legal firearm ... to carry it concealed, you need a Concealed Handgun License, which you get after about a 12-hour day of classroom work (easy written test afterwards) and a live fire session of about 50 rounds from various distances. I don't recall the cost, but I think the whole mess cost about $140 or so ... you can also carry a weapon concealed in your vehicle without a license, a fairly new addition to the law ... sorry to hear about the hoops you have to jump through ...
Old September 14, 2011, 10:51 AM   #29
jimbob86

Quote:
Y would one want to carry a firearm anyhow?
Because the cost of really needing oneand not having one far exceeds the minor inconveniences of having one and never needing it.

That Cost= All you have and ever will have. Spendy.

An 8 hour class, a couple hundred bucks, and totin' around 30 0z. of enginneering everywhere? That's nothing.
Old September 14, 2011, 11:37 AM   #30
hermannr

In Washington state, a non-immigrant alien can carry without a license if it is for sporting purposes or hunting...but you have to be here legally (visa and passport, and have a hunting license when hunting) Special provisions for Canadian Citizens. (I live 11 miles from the Canadian Border)

As a Non-immigrant alien you can also obtan a license that is good for up to two years, again, you have to be here legally.

A immigrent (green card) alien has a different license to carry, that may take up to 60 days to obtain (they check the country you came from) but other than that, you are treated the same as everyone else.

You can open carry without a license, or you can conceal with one.

Why carry a gun? In my case 95% for 4 legged preditors (bears and cougars) and 5% for two legged preditors. The Sheriff is a minimum of 30 minutes away, we have to be able to fend for ourselves. We also have a range on our property, we live in the mountains. I open carry almost exclusively. The holster is usually covered by my coat in winter, so I do have a concealed permit for when it is covered.

Last edited by hermannr; September 14, 2011 at 11:42 AM.