The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 22, 2011, 08:30 PM   #51
Flatfoot 1

I'm 6'0 205lbs large hands live in the north...Sig 226 9mm or S&W 2" .38 ! There ya go!
Old May 22, 2011, 08:33 PM   #52
Flatfoot 1

I'm 6'0 205 lbs. live in the north....Sig 226....9mm or S&W mod.36 2" .38 ! There ya go!
Old May 22, 2011, 08:33 PM   #53
paladin-34

Reliability – it has to be able to eat everything I feed it without balking once. Then when I find a round I plan to use in it, it has to have over 1000 of those rounds through it before ill carry it.

Ease of use – I have a Ruger P-89, it’s a great gun, but I would never carry it. Part of the reasons are the grips slip in my hand at times, it had a lot of sharp edges / needed deburring. Cetched coming out and into my holster than my other guns.

Weight – put 6 roles of quarters (3#) in your pocket ALL DAY. The next day put 4 roles in.

No safety – I was in an incident that caused me to reach for my gun and get it ready, push the safety off. For the eon it took for the situation to play out the only thing I could think of was: did I push the safety off, or on? Well I’m betting my life on it! The safety was off but a very, most, important lesson was learned.

Decocker – Cocked and Locked is no way to carry a gun!

Joe
Old May 22, 2011, 08:54 PM   #54
C0untZer0

There is a version of the Kahr PM9 with external safety:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PM9safety.jpg (10.2 KB, 787 views)
File Type: jpg rugvKar.jpg (10.8 KB, 44 views)
Old May 22, 2011, 09:20 PM   #55
checkmyswag

That Kahr looks like an excellent option. Will add that to my matrix.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:16 PM   #56
checkmyswag

Here is the matrix attached. Whittled it down to the following.

Some of the details are lacking, but mostly complete.

Let me know if I'm missing anything in the final consideration process.

ruger lc9
kahr pm9 w safety
kimber solo
sig 238

Things could change with more information or consideration, but you all have helped me navigate the overwhelming number of options. Thanks and let me know what you think of these four and now, what are some good 9mm/.380 rounds. Thanks again.
Attached Images
File Type: png ccw_guns.png (17.9 KB, 47 views)
Old May 23, 2011, 08:59 AM   #57
oboe

First, thank you your service to our country. I know that never can thank veterans and active service enough for what their service - but I try!

Like you, I am looking for a concealed carry weapon. The .380 I have is WWII vintage and not something upon which I want my life to depend. If you saw it and used it, you'd understand.

Like you, I sought and continue to seek advice and acquire experience actually shooting those weapons I'm considering. Unfortunately, what finds it's way onto our spread sheets and paper lists doesn't measure up when shot. Here's how I found out:

I had narrowed down my choices to three guns. Generous friends allowed me to try their personal weapons at a range. Much to my surprise, the one that was at the top of my list felt and shot the worst in my hands. Works great for other folks and has a great reputation. The one that felt best in my hands was a big surprise. And I shot most accurately with it. I settled on that as THE best gun for me. It was a DA/SA. Some time later, after reading the difference between the first DA shot and the following SA shots, I went to a range and rented that gun. I shot it in DA as much as possible to see how it worked out. Bad news! Although my abilities allowed me to shoot it with reasonable practical accuracy in SA, I could not even hit the paper in DA. Yes, I know that one can conquer the first DA with sound instruction and amlot of practice - but I am not now inclined to go that route for a number of reasons.

My next test at the range will be with a striker fired gun. They have the same trigger pull from first shot to last. Some can even be had with a safety, which at first was important to me - but now I don't want one
Old May 28, 2011, 05:00 PM   #58
C0untZer0

A 9mm comparison chart:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9mmchart.jpg (95.3 KB, 210 views)
Old May 30, 2011, 12:58 PM   #59
rodwhaincamo

Bad things typically happen suddenly, and if you carry unloaded it will require both hands to make it capable. It would be a mistake to believe you will always have the time or ability to chamber your weapon.
In my opinion it would be wise to consider the cartridges that LE use as these are what have been tested/used and found to be competant. Only foreign countries with super restrictive gun laws carried 380 ACP or similar since the bad guys typically wouldn't be armed, and if they were, usually didn't outgun them as I understand it I found out I was not allknowing though). Do not read that as it's incapable. It's just not as potent. Not to mention a subcompact 9mm is nearly the size/weight of typical 380's (non-micro), recoil is similar, and ammo costs are similar. MHO
Chime in those in-the-know, but the way I hear it is it's not uncommon for the 3-3.5" compact 1911's to have feeding issues. Are these easily fixed, typically not an issue, or does it become ammo finicky or such? How about the 4" versions, such as those by Kimber or Olympic Arms (Safari Arms)?
I am a small guy that carried a full size/weight 1911, and though it was noticeable (to me), it never felt a real burden. Lighter would have been nicer though. The light short trigger made me a lover of the 1911. It shoots so nicely especially in fast fire drills. Others may get different results. I beg you give one a try.
NEED another 1911, but am looking mostly at the Kahr CW9/40 for CC/HD due to price, size, and reputation.

Last edited by rodwhaincamo; May 30, 2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old June 5, 2011, 07:36 AM   #60
Garycw

Easy CCW carry

I have the Tarus 738 w/CT option. I was also considering the SW Bodyguard 380. Both seem to have the best features for the $. However , I've never had the DAO trigger and it diffinetly takes getting used too. I did not care for the features and feel of Ruger LCP or KelTec, also DAO. I know there's better guns out there, but these are best for the $.
TCP=$259. S&W=$3.37 if you look around.
Old June 5, 2011, 07:52 AM   #61
JustThisGuy

I have several firearms, but my favorite by far is my Sig Sauer P229 with four (count em' 4) 18 round magazines.

I am about the same size as you and this gun fits my hands beautifully. It is deadly accurate (typically all rounds in a 2" center at 25 yards). Plus, it has three extra 18 round magazines.

Not all P229s are available this way. You may have to special order it.

Mediocrity dominates over excellence in all things... except excellence.
Old June 5, 2011, 08:51 AM   #62
dean1818

Many good points but I would second a few.

1) A pistol with nothing in the chamber is nicknamed "suicide carry" for a reason. An instructor told me to have someone 10 feet away run at you and see if you can draw the pistol, chamber a round, (And click the safety if you have one), and then resonably aim. (Remember....... shot placement is KEY)

The fact is...... you are going to have someone that will kill you in that case if you are attacked. Why not just leave the gun at home? A big thug will take your half-loaded gun and then shoot you with it.

2) A safety. When I first got into guns I absolutely wanted a manual safety. no one could tell me different, I had ALL the answers.

After thinking about it, seeing that almost 100% of all cops carry a pistol without a manual safety, listening to others that carried, and shooting many DA/SA pistols and some smooth DAO triggers. I FINALLY came to the conclusion that the REAL safety is my brain. If I need a pistol quick, I dont want to have to be fiddling with a manual switch (Is it on, is it off?). I want/need to use the pistol NOW.

I also took a SIG226, with a good DA/SA trigger (unloaded of course) and saw exactly how much effort it took to pull the trigger.... If my holster covers the trigger, and my finger isnt in the trigger guard.... the GUN ISNT GOING OFF.

3) Go for THIN as you can and enjoyably shoot. I now carry a Kahr K9,
which to me is the perfect carry pistol, in a good crossbreed holster.

4) If you are carrying SPEND GOOD MONEY ON A HOLSTER. Dont scrimp.
The cheapy specials typically pinch and jab. BE COMFORTABLE. (or you wont carry)

5) A rock is better than nothing, a 32 is much better than a rock, a 380 is much better than a 32, a 9mm is much better than a 380, ...... get the picture? To me, the 9mm is the absolute minimum to have. (but this point is debatable)

Good luck !

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old June 5, 2011, 11:42 AM   #63
Deja vu

as far as design I like the sig P238 but the one my wife carries has been crap so far.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old June 5, 2011, 08:07 PM   #64
Yung.gunr

I recently got a Taurus TCP and love it. Reasonable cost for what it is, I don't ever see myself getting a Rohrbaugh, no matter how wealthy I ever get. My TCP conceals in everything I wear. I literally forget I am carrying it. Yes it is not a range gun but it is still fun to shoot. I do decent with it and I have had 0 reliability issues with it. I especially like the lack of a safety but a very long and somewhat heavy trigger. Makes it safe to pocket carry with one in the chamber and no safety.

My cousin bought a Sig 238 and loves it too. I have not yet had the chance to shoot his, but it feels good and is very concealable as well. That LC9 seems a lot bugger then the LCP for not much firepower increase.

Just my .02..
Old June 6, 2011, 11:51 AM   #65
pilpens

1. reliability -- stay with well known brands, HK, Sig, Glock, S&W, Walther.
2. easy to use -- no external safety or thumb safety like HK usp
3. size - small to medium (kahr CM9 to Sig 228/229)

I would stay with 9mm for less recoil in smaller pistols and for capacity given the size.
Old June 6, 2011, 02:33 PM   #66
Carry_24/7

My best "everyday I don't have to think about it" carry gun is the Ruger LCP .380 ACP. I load it with Hornady Critical Defense rounds. Yes, it's 380, but I am always armed. I don't care that " Clint" says a gun should not be comfortable; bull. Get a gun you are comfortable/good at shooting, carrying and concealing. In the end, you have to carry it, no one else.
Old June 7, 2011, 10:46 PM   #67
Rembart

SIG P238 is my choice

I love it. Mine has been flawless. Great night sights, very accurate and runs like a sewing machine. Easiest gun to double or triple tap that I have ever fired. It is my EDC. I have about 850 rounds of all types of hollow points including some junk bulk. Shoots them all...
Old June 8, 2011, 07:09 AM   #68
P97

I prefer the DA/SA Decocking Pistols. Works like a double action Revolver. Point and pull trigger. No safeties to have to bother with, and maybe forget to flip on or off.
Old June 8, 2011, 08:00 AM   #69
skoro

Concealed carry auto choice? features, not caliber

My normal auto CC is a KelTec PF-9. Compact, lightweight, and in an effective caliber. I've carried it for nearly three years and feel it's a fine carry weapon. I also have a tiny lil' P3AT for those days when I just can't conceal the PF-9. I prefer the PF-9, but there are times it just won't fit and the P3AT substitutes.
Old June 8, 2011, 09:02 AM   #70
BGutzman

P220 Carry with Crimson trace grips, no external safetys, all safetys are under the control of the trigger. To me the best part of this for CCW is the fact that in a self defens situation you have so many less things to think about because your not forgetting to turn off the external safety in a high pressure situation and the laser comes on automatically when you grip the pistol.

Tags
carry , concealed , pistol