The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2008, 08:36 PM   #1
skydiver3346

What do you think is the best?

Am 100% comitted to learning how to reload my rifle own hunting bullets. Can someone share their expertise with me and recommend the best starting system I could buy? I want to get a pretty good system (complete with everthing I could need to begin reloading) and don't know if RCBS, Lee, Hornady,etc is the one I should start with and why? Thank you for any support you can offer. Rick
Old January 15, 2008, 09:11 PM   #2
billindenver

Can't go far wrong with the rockchucker supreme by rcbs. It has most of what you will need to get started. I don't much like the powder measure and have switched to a chargemaster combo that I think is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Loading goes way faster with one of those if precision rifle ammo is what you are making. I use the 555 scale once in a while to check the loaders measurements so that scale is not useless.
Old January 15, 2008, 11:12 PM   #3
rwilson452

For a guy starting out I would suggest the Lee system for trimming cases. this assumes your loading some kind of bottle neck rifle cartridge. you will need to trim the brass. the Lee system is about as fool proof as you can get. the down side is it only trims to SAMMI spec. For hunting load this should be just fine. I would also suggest you spend the few extra bucks and get the ball handle for the trimer set up. I chuck the thing up in my cordless drill motor I makes trimming an effortless job.

All the press setups are good. All of them will do what you want to do. I would also suggest you get a set of calipers as I don't know any starter set that includes one.
Old January 16, 2008, 02:03 AM   #4
joneb

Most of my stuff is old, simple and well made. The best System will be between your ears
Old January 16, 2008, 06:27 AM   #5
Red_Eagle

I got this off Midway USA's website

RCBS Rock chucker supreme single stage press kit
Kit includes press, 505 scale, Uniflow Powder Measure, Speer Reloading Manual, hand priming tool, hex key set, case loading block, case lube kit, powder funnel and deburring tool. Dies and shellholders sold separately.

In addition you'll need some way to clean your brass. You could use liquid to start out with and get a tumbler later. You need some way to trim your brass. I use the Lee system. The lock stud not the "zip trim". The cutter/lock stud and the case length guage/shell holder will only put you back about $10.
Dies and shell holders for the caliber your loading for. A set of calipers to measure the cartridge over all length. I use the Frankfurt arsenal digital calipers. They cost about $32.
Old January 16, 2008, 05:16 PM   #6
flashhole

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/49

Are you ready for civil war?
Old January 16, 2008, 08:32 PM   #7
BigJakeJ1s

There are good starter kits from Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, and Redding. But none of them can beat a "system" put together with the best products from individual manufacturers.

Press: Forster Co-Ax or Redding Ultramag (budget: Lee classic cast)
Powder Measure/scale: RCBS 1500 electronic dispenser (budget: Lee Perfect PM and RCBS 505 mechanical scale)
Case Trimmer: Forster (budget: Lee trimmers)
Priming tool: RCBS Universal Hand Primer (budget: Lee autoprime + shellholders)
Dies: that's a whole thread in itself!

Andy
Old January 17, 2008, 12:10 AM   #8
Red_Eagle

The reason I recommended the RCBS Rock chucker kit was mainly because of the scales. I've been using the RCBS 505 or about a year and I'm very satisfied with it. I think the scale is pretty much the heart of the reloading bench. The Rock Chucker press it's self is one of the better single stage presses. Better than a lee classic cast or Lyman Crusher 2? Probably about the same, to be honest. Dont know about the hand prime because I dont use one. I just use the priming arms on my presses. The lube pad is nice to have. The Speer manual it comes with is okay, but if you messing with max loads you should compare them to the load data on the powder companies web sites. The Speer data is a little bit on the warm side. The Lyman 48th edition would be a good investment.

Last edited by Red_Eagle; January 17, 2008 at 06:17 AM.
Old January 17, 2008, 03:16 AM   #9
multistage

Have never had trouble with my RCBS setup, other than the scale started acting squirrely on me last year. Sent it to where RCBS told me (Ohaus) and they replaced it for free. I do prefer Redding and Forster dies, though.
Old January 17, 2008, 09:01 AM   #10
WESHOOT2

I use: Dillon, LEE, Hornady, Redding, Lyman, RCBS (who am I forgetting?)

When in doubt buy RCBS, simply because they offer good-to-great products backed by a sensational warranty.

But without question buy Forster/Bonanza die-locking rings; trust me.......

Scale: RCBS 505, but ADD a Scale Weight Check set, and use it EVERY TIME you set up your scale.

And safety glasses; the most important piece of reloading equipment.

Last edited by WESHOOT2; January 17, 2008 at 09:03 AM. Reason: missed a 'd'
Old January 17, 2008, 10:13 PM   #11
BigJakeJ1s

+1 for clamp-action lock rings, including Forster. Actually I like the Hornady lock rings a smidgen better, for their wrench flats, allen head clamp screw, and all-steel construction. Both have clamping action to lock them in place, which is very secure, without buggering the die threads like set screws can (if tight enough to hold securely). I think Lyman made/makes a clamp-action lock ring too (though the one included with their dies is set screw type).

Andy
Old January 17, 2008, 10:25 PM   #12
Red_Eagle

I almost forgot one other important item. A primer pocket cleaner. I use the RCBS. Looks like a small round brush that threads into a screw driver handle. Most of your misfires will be because of improperly seated primers.
Old January 23, 2008, 10:03 AM   #13
skydiver3346

Thanks for the advice

Thanks Red Eagle and everyone else for the reloading advice. Rick
Old January 23, 2008, 04:13 PM   #14
dssajj

If money is not a problem start with the RBCS set If you need to save a little $ try the Lee set. Lee is were I started and have little to complaine about.
Old January 24, 2008, 04:58 PM   #15
thekyrifleman

If you are going to be in this for the long haul, put out a little extra money. I bought a RCBS Rockchuker in 1965 and it's still going strong..started weighing charges on a Lyman single pan balance and it is also right on my bench. Use it to check charges either thrown or weighed on my Lyman electronic scale. Got it when they first came out...late 80's?? Take care of your stuff, and they will last a loooong time!!! All comments re: pullers, trimming equipment, calipers, etc. will help you for sure.
Old January 24, 2008, 08:56 PM   #16
craigcolorado

Skydiver3346

Remember this. If you buy from a gun shop/sports shop...they will sell you what will make them the most $$$. Hope that does not offend anyone...but that tends to be the norm.

Make it simple since you stated that you want to reload for your hunting rifle. I would say that with a hunting rifle..you're not going to burn 400 to 500 rounds per month ever month of the year. I'm speaking of a hunting rifle here.

Keep it simple...buy the Lee reloading kit and dies needed for your rilfe. You'll load fine ammo without spending a weeks wages just to get started. You'll find that Lee will fill every need for this task...but...reloading can be addicting!

Don't get caught up in hype that you just gotta have every new gismo that comes around. Stick to the basics...be prepared to experiment with several powder types and bullets. Again...it can be addicting this reloading game. But God is it great!! Saves money to in the long run plus accurate ammo made for "YOUR rifle!!!

One more thought...if you are going to reload for a bolt action rifle...buy the Lee Collet die...this neck sizes only and use the Lee case trimmers...very simple and precise they are.

Have fun.

Last edited by craigcolorado; January 24, 2008 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 24, 2008, 09:42 PM   #17
KeithB78

The Lee Classic Turret is a great way to start. The Lee pro powder measure isn't to to bad either, get the adjustable powder bar for it.

MidwayUSA has good prices and great service
Old February 10, 2008, 09:00 PM   #18
fredneck

Redding has the best powder measures bar none. RCBS makes the 10-10 scale which is good also. Presses I don't worry about too much, but the powder handling equipment is another matter.
Old February 11, 2008, 07:24 AM   #19
ldv444

Kit

The Rockchucker kit is hard to beat......just having a hard time getting around the made in China part on the Rockchucker.

A guy, without a lot of knowledge, could piece together a pretty good kit with some of the mentioned suggestions on this thread. But, if you want to keep it simple and just pull everything out of one box-then the RCBS or Lyman kits are hard to beat.

Hope all is well with everyone.......
Old February 11, 2008, 10:19 AM   #20
TNFrank

I've had an RCBS 505 and Partner press for years and they've both held up fine for loading everything from 30-06 and 45-70 down to asorted pistol rounds. I've used Lee dies for years, I like it that you get a shell holder, scoop and loading date with their die sets. A decent powder measure(I have a Lee "Perfect Powder Measure") makes it much faster to load since you won't have to weigh out each and every load. I can't say enough about getting books. I've got the Lee, Speer and Lyman so I can cross refference loads to make sure things are kosher plus there's lots of good info on "how to" for loading in em'.

BIG FAT +1 for Midway U.S.A., been buying from them for years, great prices and excellent service.
Old February 11, 2008, 10:43 PM   #21
tbtrout

I started with the Rock chucker kit 14 yrs ago. Still use it today. If I had to choose today I might go with a Lee Classic Turet for more volume.