The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 14, 2019, 07:23 PM   #1

Looking into a cap and ball

I've been thinking of possibly getting my first cap and ball revolver. I like the .36 caliber (don't want a .44) but I need some recommendations/ideas on make, model, etc. There are some out there with a 5.5" barrel which caught my eye (I already have a 7.5" Redhawk.)

A buddy of mine has a Pietta .44 of some sort that I have shot. It was fun but my goodness the cylinder sure gummed up fast. After twice around it won't index w/o removing the thing and cleaning it. I'm familiar enuf with the cleaning process of these guns but is it normal to only get 12 shots from the cylinder before having to remove it and clean it? That seems to be the only real drawback to me. I'm not sure but we may have been using real BP instead of a substitute. BTW, I'm kinda looking for an entry level gun like a Pietta or Uberti or something like those. Any thoughts on this would really help. Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

Last edited by 5150; December 14, 2019 at 07:59 PM.
Old December 14, 2019, 07:29 PM   #2
woodnbow

The Remington fanboys will have methods for better success in extending the usefulness of the pistol.

The Colts don’t have this problem by and large, I grease the arbor with white lithium and they will run virtually forever. Use Remington #10 caps on the stock uberti nipples and your gun will run. The 1861 Navy is the second most beautiful revolver ever made. The 1860 Colt Army is obviously the most beautiful revolver ever made.
Old December 14, 2019, 08:08 PM   #3
Hawg

Remingtons are more beginner friendly but I like Colt's better. Pietta and Uberti are the only choices now unless you want to pay a lot of money for one. Pietta is the best bang for the buck but they are a tad larger than originals and they make a lot of oddball stuff that never existed back in the day like the aforementioned 5.5 inch barrel. You don't have to take one down when it starts to gum up. Just spray a little Windex(without ammonia)on the cylinder face and you're good to go.
Old December 14, 2019, 08:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
Remingtons are more beginner friendly but I like Colt's better. Pietta and Uberti are the only choices now unless you want to pay a lot of money for one. Pietta is the best bang for the buck but they are a tad larger than originals and they make a lot of oddball stuff that never existed back in the day like the aforementioned 5.5 inch barrel. You don't have to take one down when it starts to gum up. Just spray a little Windex(without ammonia)on the cylinder face and you're good to go.
Thanx for the Windex tip. For now I'm looking in the $300 (mas o menos) range. Hopefully I can get some more good feedback from those who know more than me (which is pretty much everyone).

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95
Old December 14, 2019, 09:13 PM   #5
Hawg

Cabela's is probably the best price on Pietta. Don't let the prices on the brass frames sway you, they won't hold up under full loads.
Old December 14, 2019, 09:23 PM   #6
Fingers McGee

What Woodbbow said +1
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 15, 2019, 03:35 PM   #7
rodwhaincamo

I use Ballistol oil on the cylinder pin of my Remington and can just keep on shooting. Otherwise it binds up on the 3rd cylinder.

All the time I see the Colt 1851 Navy said to be the best pointer. It’s because of this that I think I’ll have to get one one of these days. But I’d ream it to .40 cal. As for a .36 I really like the idea of the Colt 1862 Pocket Police.

From what I read Uberti Colts have issues with arbor length. I’d opt for a Pietta I think. But it seems Uberti tends to make a better Remington. If you don’t mind working on them I suppose it doesn’t really matter.
Old December 15, 2019, 04:22 PM   #8
44 Dave

Ran 42 paper cartridges (bullet dip lubed) through my Remington the other day. Had no problem with the cylinder binding but needed to Balistol the pin to get it out, should have given it a spray and a wiggle 1/2 way through.
Old December 15, 2019, 07:16 PM   #9
woodnbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwhaincamo View Post
I use Ballistol oil on the cylinder pin of my Remington and can just keep on shooting. Otherwise it binds up on the 3rd cylinder.

All the time I see the Colt 1851 Navy said to be the best pointer. It’s because of this that I think I’ll have to get one one of these days. But I’d ream it to .40 cal. As for a .36 I really like the idea of the Colt 1862 Pocket Police.

From what I read Uberti Colts have issues with arbor length. I’d opt for a Pietta I think. But it seems Uberti tends to make a better Remington. If you don’t mind working on them I suppose it doesn’t really matter.
The Uberti consistently has the short arbor issue. It’s very easily rectified if it seems to be a problem. I’ve run these guns for years with zero issues related to the arbor. But many guys “fix” this straight off. Uberti is in all other respects the better revolver, IMO, closer to the real thing dimensionally and the chambers are usually closer to bore diameter. As well they are usually well timed, have fewer defects as sold, and the fit and finish is better. Again, this is my opinion only. Many people feel the same way about Pietta products. You pays your money and you takes your chances...
Old December 15, 2019, 08:06 PM   #10
Hawg

Uberti Colt's do have short arbors. It is an easy fix. If you don't fix it wedge depth will change cylinder clearance to the point if you drive it in too deep it will bind the cylinder face against the forcing cone. Pietta you can drive the wedge in as hard as you want and not change cylinder clearance. Uberti's are closer to originals in size but they are still a tad bigger. Uberti hides the Italian markings where Pietta plasters them on the side of the barrel. Pietta has big fat grips with a lot of proud wood where Uberti grips are more slender and a better fit. Pietta Remington front sights are extremely tall which makes for better shooting but look ridiculous. Uberti Remington front sights are shorter but still taller than original and look out of place. Mechanically they're about the same. Uberti's usually have less tooling marks inside. Uberti's cost more.
Old December 16, 2019, 01:01 AM   #11
Hellgate

To control cylinder binding from fouling I just put a single drop of oil at the front of the cylinder where it rubs on the frame. I put the oil drop on just after ramming the last ball before capping. I hold the barrel up so the oil works down onto the cylinder pin as I twirl the cylinder a few times. Takes just a few seconds and keeps the cylinder turning easily all day.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old December 16, 2019, 02:34 PM   #12
.44 Associate

IMO, 1858s are better revolvers out of the box. Colts from either Uberti or Pietta almost always need some degree (often quite a bit) of "fixing" before they are reliable and fully enjoyable. (I prefer Colts myself, but really do consider them "pre-assembled kits" as another poster enjoys calling them.)

The only real downside with the Remingtons (personal considerations like appearance, grip shape, etc. aside) is the center pin. I've tried all the tricks and ultimately decided I prefer to just pull the pin and wipe it down whenever it starts to bind.

My first percussion revolver was a Pietta 1858 in stainless, and even though today I don't care for Pietta, 1858s, or stainless, it was a very good first gun and I would recommend it to anyone just starting out.
Old January 28, 2020, 11:54 PM   #13
Perldog007

First .36?

I took the standard advice and started with an 1858 .44. Still happy I did. Got an 1851 steel frame Navy .36 from Dixie on sale and think it would be a fine first C&B or 1861 in whatever bbl length you like. Very fun to shoot, can load it from .22 short to about .380 energy levels (longer barrels especially) and the soft ball expands reliably past 900 fps, the Conicals penetrate very well for such low velocity.
Having said that, for hard nosed versatility the 1858 .36 from Pietta with the 6.5" bbl or the Uberti 1858 Navy with the 7.5 " bbl. A conversion cylinder will chamber .38 special too as opposed to .38 Colt only for the 1851/61 models.
Ironically, digging up this old thread as it caught my eye. I don't have a Remington Navy replica, only a Colt 1851 Pietta, I want another .36 and I'm seriously considering a brass frame as I want it for light load plinking, self defense against squirrels that won't turn the hindquarters to soup meat with a bad hit, and 'curb appeal'.
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...+Burr+Revolver
Also too, as well for those interested in a smaller black powder revovler the pocket police Colt replica in .36 with a 6.5" bbl looks like a fine 'kit gun' and range toy. Gets good reviews AFAIK?
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...VER+6.5%22+BBR

Personally have no interest in conversion cylinders. I'm a strong fan of the Navy replica in .36 as a first gun for people who don't want a .44 but it all depends on what you want it for.
A brassy .36 1851? Sure I'd buy one on sale, already having a steel frame that I like. Can always use a beater with 20 grains behind an 80grain ball for a finishing pistol and other small jobs when you do't want to unload your rifle or use a more powerful side arm if you like to carry two.
A ".22" you could hog load now and then? Carry under a poncho in the wet? Why not if you have the means and inclination?
Don't recommned a brass frame as your first one if you primarily want to shoot, I shook the arbor pin on my 1860 steel frame a wee bit loose with an early loading 'experience' in pyrodex compression. First cylinder. After adjusting it, no problems since.
For shooting a couple of times a year or even 18 rounds a month or so with recommended loads? Don't fear it is my advice knowing folks that have had them for years and are happy with them.