The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 14, 2019, 07:51 AM   #1
Gulfcowboy

Ruger lcrx 327 federal magnum

I've been tossing the idea of purchasing a ruger lcrx in 327 magnum around for awhile. My main carry is a s&w 638. I love that thing. I take it everywhere. I pocket carry it, and on Occasion a seecamp 380 in its place. So any owners of the ruger lcrx, or lcr in 327 magnum let me know how you like it. I would like the extra round, and ability to fire the 32 family of Cartridges thought the same revolver. Thanks for any input given.
Old November 14, 2019, 08:04 AM   #2
Wishoot

I'd love one.

But the retail prices are very high ($500 +) and nobody seems to want to sell theirs.
Old November 14, 2019, 08:18 AM   #3
JERRYS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishoot View Post
I'd love one.

But the retail prices are very high ($500 +) and nobody seems to want to sell theirs.
yep.
Old November 14, 2019, 08:43 AM   #4
Real Gun

It's not a pocket gun.
Old November 14, 2019, 08:58 AM   #5
Gulfcowboy

So its bigger than a lcr in 38?
Old November 14, 2019, 10:35 AM   #6
HighValleyRanch

No it is the same size, just that Real Gun has very small pockets!
Old November 14, 2019, 10:38 AM   #7
Gulfcowboy

Lol!!!
Old November 14, 2019, 10:41 AM   #8
HighValleyRanch

I can pocket carry my 6 shot Kimber K6 without any problems in my usual bootcut levi jeans. You can download it to the same as .327
Old November 14, 2019, 11:39 AM   #9
reteach

I carry my LCRX .327 in my pocket almost every day, in a Mika holster. I found an iwb holster for it just the other day, and with winter clothes I will carry it with that sometimes. But it's mostly a pocket gun.

I like the gun a lot. With .32 H&R mags the gun is accurate and I can get follow-up shots a lot faster than with a .38 in 2". Shooting .327 in that light gun is OK but gets to be punishing pretty quick. For range time, you have another ammo option with .32 S&W Long. I've found Fiocchi fmj for around $16 a box.

The oem grips are fine. Pachmayr makes a grip that adds a little length and feels very good. The gun fits in my pants pockets with the longer grip.

There are no aftermarket options [that I have found] for a front sight upgrade. Any tritium or similar front sight will be too tall and result in a poi 4-5" low.

I think you would be pleased with a .327 LCRX. It's at least as good as any other 2" revolver out there and offers a lot of advantages over most.
Old November 14, 2019, 12:56 PM   #10
Real Gun

A shrouded hammer or bobbed hammer is a pocket gun (DAO). LCR would be a better choice than LCRx. I believe the Smith 638 is the hybrid DA/SA.

Also a rubber grip is too tacky for a pocket gun, so nylon would be the better choice.

One might fit a gun in a pocket, but what if it needed to be drawn ASAP?

The 327 Federal will only begin to perform in a snub nose barrel. It really is a 32 capable of firing 327 Federal Magnum (better hold on tight).

Last edited by Real Gun; November 14, 2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old November 14, 2019, 10:18 PM   #11
Gulfcowboy

I like revolvers with some type of hammer. A company called leo makes a Pocket-Safe hammer shroud. Whether or not it works is yet to be seen, but if the case comes to where doesn't work I would just have the hammer bobbed. As for pocket carry at this point in time that's what I like, and that's how I carry. It may not be a quick draw, but it works for me. I've carried a glock 19, and a commander sized 1911 in the past. It's not for me at this point in time. As for getting the most velocity with barrel length. I already fall short of that with a 38 in a snub nose, as I'm sure many do with Micro compact 9 mm or a sub compact 1911 in 45, and all the tiny 380s out there. I'm not keen on trying to Conceal a handgun on me with a 4 or 5 inch barrel.
Old November 14, 2019, 10:50 PM   #12
WheelGunMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gun View Post
A shrouded hammer or bobbed hammer is a pocket gun (DAO). LCR would be a better choice than LCRx.
The nice thing about a LCRx is how low the hammer is set to the frame. When you pull it from your pocket holster the web between your thumb and your index finger covers the hammer making it virtually snag free.
Old November 17, 2019, 09:40 PM   #13
tallball

I like my 38 special LCR a lot. I carry it more often than anything else. For me, DAO or a shrouded hammer are a must for pocket pistols. I couldn't control it well with the tiny factory grips (the 38 special version is very light), so I put the longer LCRx grips on it. It fits into my cargo pocket very well (in a pocket holster, of course), and with my long ape arms, my hand dangles down right next to it. The DA trigger is excellent.

I would enjoy having a 327 version also, but the one I have is what happened to turn up used at the LGS for a good price. The previous owner was even kind enough to put a fiber optic front sight on it.
Old November 17, 2019, 10:46 PM   #14
zoo

Only way you're going to be able to scratch that itch is to bite the bullet and make the purchase!
Old November 23, 2019, 08:48 AM   #15
smee78

Don't feel bad OP, I'm is the same boat as you and have been looking for a good priced LCRX 327 or even a used one as well. I believe I will find one and will keep looking until I do. Keep up the hunt.
Old November 23, 2019, 11:14 AM   #16
WheelGunMan

Quote:
A shrouded hammer or bobbed hammer is a pocket gun (DAO). LCR would be a better choice than LCRx.
I have both an LCR.357 and an LCRx.357. I carry the LCR in a IWB Kydex holster from "Just Holster It" and the LCRx in a leather Azula IWB. I don't have any issues drawing either one. I like the Azula holster as it has a flap of leather covering the hammer.

Quote:
I like my 38 special LCR a lot. I carry it more often than anything else.
I like both...it's hard to pick a favorite so I alternate between the two for my EDC.

I installed the same small Hogue Tamer Monogrip the LCRx which makes it handle the same as the LCR.

I've had my LCR far longer than my LCRx. While both have great triggers out of the box, the trigger on the LCR has become glass smooth. I'm sure my LCRx is not far behind.
Old November 24, 2019, 03:03 PM   #17
Cosmodragoon

The regular LCR 327 has been my EDC since they first came out. It effectively retired my LCR 38 for pocket carry. I had carried the LCR 38 (and a 442 before that) during summers when heat and humidity limited clothing and made it more difficult to comfortably conceal larger guns. I had previously settled on .38 +p because I considered it better than .380 but less punishing than .357 magnum for the size and weight.

Firing them back to back, felt recoil is negligible between the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in .327 Federal and most of the .38 +p I had been using in the LCR 38. Of course, those .327 Hydra-Shoks looked a lot more impressive against water jugs (etc.). It's effectively the same weight projectile as a lot of .380 but with more velocity, better sectional density on the way in, and reliable expansion. Getting that plus an extra shot really sold it for me. It did a lot to improve the "compromise" of my summer carry choice.

All of a sudden, I found myself carrying the LCR 327 whenever I wasn't wearing a jacket. Now, it's gotten close to a 3-season carry. I still carry a full-sized semi-auto in 9mm or .40 S&W during the winter and colder weather in general. I'll carry bigger guns out in the woods too. I've just gotten very comfortable with a capable compact six-shooter the rest of the time.
Old November 24, 2019, 03:42 PM   #18
JERRYS.

I've been trying to find one for my daughter to replace LCR22. they are as rare as hens teeth unless you special order one, and then they are over $500. I even tried trading a Kimber compact 1911 for one. no dice.
Old December 5, 2019, 08:51 PM   #19
dgludwig

QUOTE: No it is the same size, (as the LCR chambered in .38 Special when compared to one chambered in .327 Federal Magnum)

But a bit heavier than the LCR chambered in .38 Special due to the steel frame (as found also in the .357 Magnum variant).
Old December 6, 2019, 11:12 AM   #20
dontcatchmany

I recently purchased the LCR 327. It is a pocket weapon.

I have shot 271 rounds through it of 327 Magnum, 32 H&R and some S&W long. I put a Pachmayr grip on it and it fits my hand better than the original. The grip helps me to be quite a bit more accurate with it.

Do not know if the LCRX hammer will conceal in a pocket very well without the hammer snagging. Also a 3" would be a tad too long for most pockets, IMHO.

I also have a Kimber K6S 2". After adapting a Pachmayr J frame grip to it, it handles full load 357 magnum very well. Had it in my pocket yesterday. A bit heavier than the LCR.

I also have a SP101 2.25". From the Git Go 20 plus years ago it has been an exceptional weapon. I have pocket carried it many times. It is also a bit heavier than the LCR.

If I didn't already have too many guns (not that that is the case...lol) I might investigate the LCRx. I am pleased with the LCR.
Old December 6, 2019, 05:57 PM   #21
Real Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
The regular LCR 327 has been my EDC since they first came out. It effectively retired my LCR 38 for pocket carry. I had carried the LCR 38 (and a 442 before that) during summers when heat and humidity limited clothing and made it more difficult to comfortably conceal larger guns. I had previously settled on .38 +p because I considered it better than .380 but less punishing than .357 magnum for the size and weight.

Firing them back to back, felt recoil is negligible between the 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in .327 Federal and most of the .38 +p I had been using in the LCR 38. Of course, those .327 Hydra-Shoks looked a lot more impressive against water jugs (etc.). It's effectively the same weight projectile as a lot of .380 but with more velocity, better sectional density on the way in, and reliable expansion. Getting that plus an extra shot really sold it for me. It did a lot to improve the "compromise" of my summer carry choice.

All of a sudden, I found myself carrying the LCR 327 whenever I wasn't wearing a jacket. Now, it's gotten close to a 3-season carry. I still carry a full-sized semi-auto in 9mm or .40 S&W during the winter and colder weather in general. I'll carry bigger guns out in the woods too. I've just gotten very comfortable with a capable compact six-shooter the rest of the time.
I carry an SP101 in 327 Federal Magnum also, but it is loaded with subsonic lead reloads. My speed strip though is your 85 grain Hydra-Shoks. I think you should consider how the report of the 327 differs from 38 Special and what you could stand without hearing protection.
Old December 6, 2019, 11:04 PM   #22
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gun View Post
I carry an SP101 in 327 Federal Magnum also, but it is loaded with subsonic lead reloads. My speed strip though is your 85 grain Hydra-Shoks. I think you should consider how the report of the 327 differs from 38 Special and what you could stand without hearing protection.
A while back, I got together with some friends to try different commercial loads in .327 versus .38 +p in the LCR 327 and LCR 38 respectively. As far as felt recoil, the 85-grain Hydrashoks in .327 Federal were indistinguishable from midweight .38 +p. The two main differences were "sound" and "effect on water jugs". The .327 made a "crack" that echoed out over the hills. The HDPE gallon and PET 3L jugs met a much more dramatic end.

The 100 and 115-grain loads we tried in .327 had a little more recoil in the LCR. The 100-grain American Eagles were both the hottest and most affordable. Most of us found them uncomfortable and opinion was split on the Gold Dots. Consensus favored 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in the LCR.

While maybe not as offensive as .357 magnum, the .327 is very loud and will certainly be bad for your hearing. My issue here is that any defensive ammo in a tiny CCW is going to be dangerously loud. Defending life with a firearm means taking a hit on hearing. Whether .327 around town or .357 in the woods, I wonder just how much bigger of a hit.

For something quieter, there's always .32 H&R Magnum. The two loads we tried in .32 H&R Magnum had felt recoil on par with standard-pressure .38 special. The effect on water jugs wasn't much different. You could feel a little more recoil with the .38 +p but the improvement on jugs wasn't huge. That's sort of what hooked me on .327 with the Hydra-Shoks. It had recoil down in this ballpark but consistently hit it out of the park on jug damage.
Old December 28, 2019, 06:11 PM   #23
JERRYS.

I brought home an LCR .327 today. it came with an XS tritium green dot front sight (used gun). haven't shot it yet but the trigger is a little better than my LCR .22lr. no idea how off the poa and poi will be. I don't foresee using .327s in it as I got it for my daughter.

Last edited by JERRYS.; December 28, 2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old December 28, 2019, 07:23 PM   #24
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishoot View Post
I'd love one.

That's because few have bought one and those that have and didn't like the ammo price/availability issues wanted to sell theirs, but the LGS looked at the caliber and said that because it's not 9mm, .38, or .357 he could only give them $250 for it and they figured they'd just keep it.

I gave up last year waiting for used .327's to show up and bought an SP101 brand new. Lost interest in the .327 after seeing how oversize Ruger makes the throats and if I ever buy another .327 revolver it will only be a used LCR/LCRx.

The good thing is that the LCR seems to be the most popular .327 revolver Ruger makes, so as time goes on there's a better chance of seeing used ones.
Old December 28, 2019, 09:23 PM   #25
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
That's because few have bought one and those that have and didn't like the ammo price/availability issues wanted to sell theirs, but the LGS looked at the caliber and said that because it's not 9mm, .38, or .357 he could only give them $250 for it and they figured they'd just keep it.
How many instances of this do you personally know of?