The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 25, 2019, 04:05 PM   #1
Nick S.

Cowboy Action-getting started

Thinking of joining a local cowboy action. So far I have a Taylor Cattleman in .45 LC, Charles Daly double bbl 12 g. Looking for a lever action also in .45lc. What should I be looking for ; make, barrel length, D shape lever, etc? Still need a 2 holster rig too. Already have the hat & boots.
Old September 25, 2019, 06:57 PM   #2
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

My advice is to go to the SASS Wire and ask. You will get lots and lots of advice.

https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php.../12-sass-wire/

By the way, I'm not sure what you mean by a D shaped lever, but if you mean the big John Wayne style lever loop, forget it. Not very practical.
Old September 25, 2019, 10:30 PM   #3
DockRock

Agree with Driftwood. If there's a local shoot near you, attend before buying anything. See what folks are usung. Ask questions. There are a lot of folks in CAS that would like nothing more than spending a morning sharing their "wisdom" with a greenhorn. ;-) Make sure to get multiple opinuins. Between SASS Wire and the local shoot, you should get all the info you need and more. You may also get good leads on folks aging out of the game that have good rigs to sell.
Old September 26, 2019, 09:13 AM   #4
Oliver Sudden

Yep, go to that local shoot and in my experience people there will offen let you try their guns and do everything to lead you a stray, I mean help you get started.
Old September 26, 2019, 10:29 AM   #5
Nick S.

Thanks guys. It's just that there's 3 local gun shows this weekend & I was hoping to score a deal on a lever action or rig (used). Sometimes there's a table set up by one of the 2 cowboy action groups in my area. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to pick their brain. Last time I remember one of them saying stay away from Henry & go with one of the Italian companies. He also said you don't need the "D" shaped handle on the lever. But they look so cool. So I get it if you don't "need" one, but is there a major negative issue with them?
Old September 26, 2019, 04:26 PM   #6
Hawg

Most CAS shooters don't like the Henry because of the way they try to make an association with their company to the original Henry. Plus it has no historical counterpart but then neither do Rugers.
Old September 26, 2019, 05:51 PM   #7
Oliver Sudden

The Henry company rifle doesn’t run as fast by some people’s opinion. Many like the 1873 copy Winchester. I run one of them and the wife likes her 1894cb Marlin rifle. I lightened the action a bit on the Marlin but the Winchester needed nothing.
Old September 26, 2019, 06:59 PM   #8
Nick S.

So who makes a good 1873 Winchester clone?
Old September 26, 2019, 08:18 PM   #9
Oliver Sudden

Uberti
Old September 26, 2019, 08:37 PM   #10
Hawg

Uberti. Miroku makes a better one but it's priced accordingly.
Old September 27, 2019, 02:50 PM   #11
44 Dave

If you are into .44-40 or .38-40 an original was my choice.
Old September 30, 2019, 12:21 PM   #12
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy Again

I hope you did not run out and buy something before visiting a match or two.

We always advise against buying any equipment before attending a match and trying out some guns. It can save a lot of heartache if you run out and buy something before you have had a chance to handle some guns and ask CAS shooters questions.

Count me as one who does not care for the way the modern Henry company tries to associate their company with the original guns made by the New Haven Arms Company, the original maker of the Henry rifle. Also, the Big Boy and many other rifles made by HRAC do not work out very well in CAS.

As for 44-40 or 38-40, I have both replicas and originals chambered for 44-40. I do have an original Winchester Model 1873 chambered for 38-40.
Old October 1, 2019, 09:06 AM   #13
Trum4n1208

There's no practical advantage to the big "D" ring lever, but the difference in speed between it and a standard lever would probably only be noticeable to people who are really into it. If you're just there to have fun, then go for it, get what makes you happy.

Plus, it makes your rifle easier to operate with gloves. So if you use this rifle for anything else, that's an added benefit.
Old October 1, 2019, 07:24 PM   #14
Nick S.

I plan on attending a match as soon as I can. In the mean time I'm talking to as many as I can at gun shops & my local shooting range. One guy was singing the praises of a Winchester even though they're made in Japan now.
Old October 1, 2019, 09:04 PM   #15
DockRock

That's because Miroku makes a nicer rifle than anything that Winchester made in New Haven from the mid 1960s until its effective demise 20 odd years later.

You kind of need to decide what you want out of CAS. Do you want to win matches? Because that generally means tuned short-stroked 1873 Win clones, race-tuned SAA, and and a short stroke 1887, for example. Do you want authenticity? Because you get into five figures immediately with a full suite of original firearms. Do you want the fun of shooting black powder? Because that's really a Marlin and double-barreled proposition. Are you into the costume side? Batwing chaps and a diamante 20 gallon hat? Not my sort of thing but if so, go for it.

Going to matches reading about matches in the Cowboy Chronicle, surfing SASSwire are all ways to help you decide how to spend money efficiently before you get spending.