The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 13, 2020, 10:13 PM   #26
jsflagstad

I have a 12 inch Grendel upper and it likes ELDM's over SST's. Shot 2 northern white tail bucks with it this year, one at 60 yards and one at 130 yards. Both were downed relatively quickly although the ELDM's indeed worked there are better bullets out there. I pushed the 123 grain ELDM's with H4198 and it was THE BEST powder out of Varget, CFE 223, and some others. As of late, I worked up some loads with the new Sierra 130 grain Game Changers and they were amazing in terms of accuracy and I can only imaging that they should perform better on deer as well. I started with my H4198 charge lever from the 123 grain ELDM load and it was a real good match as it shot Sub MOA on the first loading. I loaded up some variants with lighter charges and it did not get any better so I think I may slowly go the other direction to see if it gets better although it is pretty great already for a 12" barrel.

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield