The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 16, 2019, 03:15 AM   #26
Old Stony

I don't think I would necessarily call it experimentation....I'd call it more like maybe "playing with fire"
Old January 16, 2019, 03:13 PM   #27
Pahoo

If you walk on ice, make sure it's thick enough

Some of you can remember and possibly own on of the Savage 10-ML. I have shot this one and it's a real killer. Whether true or not, there was a big stink about them blowing up. As I recall, they listed about four different smokeless powder that they recommended be used. This is the only firearm that I have shot, using smokeless powder. ……

When I was younger, I played around with cannons, smokeless powders and even made my own M/L's and zip-guns. I got a lot of free passes as the big guy upstairs was/is looking out for fools. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old January 16, 2019, 03:14 PM   #28
woodnbow

Even as a young man, enough people issued warnings about this... when I was young it was primarily Elmer Keith whose voice and opinions I heard. Nothing I’ve heard since convinces me to try it.
Old January 16, 2019, 05:28 PM   #29
deerslayer303

Quote:
Deerslayer303, the cyl clearance in your open top should be fine and help with efficiency just as with the cap cyl. If it needs fitting, I'd do that for you since I've already set the revolver up. Give me a call if you want to discuss.
Mike, if I do this it will be a Brand new '58 5.5" that will come to ya with the Konverter. I don't think I want to fool with the others they shoot so dang good with black. That open top is the cats meow. Even if she is not historically accurate.

Last edited by deerslayer303; January 16, 2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old January 16, 2019, 05:35 PM   #30
deerslayer303

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think my OP was taken the wrong way or maybe I should try to better write my thoughts. This thread helped me understand the difference in pressure the two propellants make and how they differ. As for the guy in the video, well someone said it best "ONE BIG DARWIN AWARD". Not only that, in the video hes measuring the clays WITH A TEASPOOON!! SMH. I reload smokeless cartridges, and shot shells, and I'm very anal about it. I measure every charge right down to the tenth. As I don't really trust a powder thrower. But mainly I love playing with B.P. as its so hard to screw up. With my biggest screw up being a dry ball in a GPR, and getting a dang cleaning jag stuck LOL. I even LOVE loading black powder shot shells, and even using my old H&R Topper as a ML. Too much Fun. Many will remember a young and dumb deerslayer that came here to learn this craft. And it was ALL OF YOU who helped me to keep my fingers, eyebrows, face, arms, eyesight, etc. etc. to this day. SO for that I THANK YOU ALL!