The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 8, 2006, 12:23 AM   #1
MaNiFeSt

Good Mp5, Mp5k clone?

I'm looking to buy one in the near future. the HK models are just to much money and extremely hard to find. Any recommendations? It dosn't have to be the same type of design. Anything in a similar "class" i would consider..

and no, an AR-15 does not count. I will buy one of those in the near future as well. thanks for any comments.
Old February 9, 2006, 01:44 PM   #2
dtarbox

I have a bobcat BW-89 pistol that I regestered as a SBR and added the K-grip and stock. Mine has never had any issues but YMMV.

D
Old February 9, 2006, 06:15 PM   #3
shaggy

Bobcat/Special Weapons and the other covers for Todd Bailey are really the only game in town for a 9mm HK clone.

Can you describe what you mean by anything in a "similar class" though? FWIW, I'd rate the 9mm M16 very highly.
Old February 9, 2006, 07:27 PM   #4
CypherNinja

Uzi?
Old February 14, 2006, 02:50 PM   #5
DBOUNCE1

Someone (without being a smartass) please tell me what SBR means
Old February 14, 2006, 03:48 PM   #6
CypherNinja

Short Barreled Rifle. (NFA Classification)
Old February 14, 2006, 04:01 PM   #7
shaggy

Quote:
Someone (without being a smartass) please tell me what SBR means
As CypherNinja said its a short barreled rifle - any rifle with a stock and a barrel less than 16" or an overall length of less than 26" (with any type of folding or telescoping stock extended/opened)
Old February 15, 2006, 01:09 PM   #8
Rotor Talker

I have a Vector 53, in .223, and am pleased with it, will be better when I am more sighted in, but that's another story. Point is vector is coming out with MP 5 clones, pretty well done (in my opinion), in 9mm, .40, 10mm and maybe even .357 Sig.

You might consider checking them out as an alternative.

Starting out with Short Barreled Rifle is not a bad thing, I don't think.

HTH
Old March 8, 2006, 05:52 PM   #9
mjgibbs

This is the MP5K/40 made by Vector. Its looks and runs awesome. I defiantely recommend it. I have one in 10MM as well. I am actually selling the .40. : )!
Old March 8, 2006, 08:37 PM   #10
Houndog

Manifest - how much money are you willing to spend. A few months ago there were a bunch of used HK94's (the semiauto version of the MP5) available for between $2000 and 2800. These were Cal DOJ guns. Most of them were a little banged up on the outside, but bores and internals were generally excellent. If you search the web you may still be able to find a couple of these guns.

Have heard the rumors that Vector is going to start mfg. HK94's in 10mm and .40 configuration, but I'm not sure this has been confirmed. Not so sure about the standard 9mm version. However, those guns are going to run you $1,500. Might be smarter to pony up another $600-700 for a real HK, both because you know it will run right out of the box, and because it should hold its value better if you ever decide to sell it.

The third alternative available to you is to buy a receiver from Special Weapons, and then try to find a parts kit. (POF used to have good quality ones, but they haven't had any in for over a year). You can then have a competent gunsmith build you one. Will probably cost as much, maybe a little more than getting one from Vector, but if you use a good builder (Jayson at IGF is almost universally acknowledged to be the go to guy for HK builds), you will end up with a new gun that nearly as reliable and well made an an original HK.

Oh, you could also wait for the HK clones that Ohio Rapid Fire is going to be producing. You'll know they're about to come out when you see a flock of pigs flying by your window.
Old March 13, 2006, 02:08 PM   #11
mjgibbs

I actuallu have a HK clone from Ohio Rapid Fire...oh wait...that was a dream...no, a bad dream. Wait, it was actually a nightmare!
Old March 13, 2006, 02:20 PM   #12
mjgibbs

Its not a rumor that Vector is making them in 40 and 10mm. I have them. Here is a pic of the .40 I am selling. I recommend them highly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0651.JPG (44.4 KB, 367 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0647.JPG (41.2 KB, 270 views)
Old April 21, 2006, 11:03 PM   #13
theinvisibleheart

Vector HK94 clone in .40/10mm?

who makes the mag? capacity?

how reliable are they?

Thanks.

--John