The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 24, 2004, 01:40 AM   #1
hemisporty

Knee injury brace

Greetings
I have been a lurker off and on for a while and just signed up today.

I am wondering what sort of knee brace/support trainers have seen being used or anybody thats worn one before feels/ works better than others.

I sprained my left MCL last week and have been wearing one of those braces with the aluminum strips on the sides and the hinge that squeaks and annoys the wife Now she wants me to sell the bike This is my first knee injury (but I can tell you all about herniated discs though!) I don't wear the brace around the house, but I find that I need some support still as any twisting will get me a popping noise.

I tried searching for "knee injury" and got tons of posts with knee and injury, but nothing about braces/supports.

Anyway, there are lots of supports for sale, I'd just rather not buy 5 or 6 to see which one is better, holds up better, lasts longer etc. I don't want to ace wrap it all the time either. I'm sure I don't need my knee magnetised.

Tia

Hemi
Old September 24, 2004, 07:37 AM   #2
dfaugh

Well..

I tore up my knees at an early age, had multiple surgeries, and am now facing total knee replacement(at 49)....So my first word of advice is to not continue to abuse it (as I did)....In other words, take it easy and let it heal, be very careful of exercise(some of these doctors are a little gung-ho when it comes to recovery)...Over the years I've worn a variety of different braces, with mixed results...Finally a couple years ago I had a custom made brace fitted (to put off the knee replacement as long as possible). Its made out of aluminum with multiple velcro straps, and various pads(Think "Road Warrior", but black). Helps keep my knee from twisting (which makes what's left of the bones grind together)...Reasonably comfortable considering...Cost about $900, though, although health insurance paid for most of it.

Unfortunately, and speaking from my and others experience, knee injuries are a b**ch...At best, it'll never quite be 100% again, and always prone to further injury.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old September 25, 2004, 10:42 PM   #3
paul salchow

i have a don-joy,big damm red one.alu core wraped in fiberglass w/ velcro wraps.hot,bulky and uncomfortable.but it keeps it from twisting.i am in therapy now for a shoulder rebuild,there are about 20 kids in there for knee injures,most of them have newer braces that are smaller and lighter and don't squeek like ours do.if yours is a lap joint pivot,use wd-40 on the joint,mine is a double cam joint with a lock so it dosen't over bend,i have to use axl grease on it.smells a little bad.check with your doctor or a sports med. company.even your local football team,thats where i got the information on mine.
Old September 26, 2004, 07:20 AM   #4
E36M3

Sounds like you have the right type of brace for an MCL sprain. www.eortho.com seems to have the better quality ones if you need another.
Old September 26, 2004, 08:41 PM   #5
hemisporty

re: knee brace

Thanks for the assistance, I went to the eortho.com, they have what looks like they will work, but I should be able to find some around here. I could have gone looking for one today, but I went to the range instead

The M1 was ejecting the last 2 rounds with the clip, so I put new springs. works great now, and I had to go through a couple o' boxes of .45 through the 1911.

I used chain wax on the joints of my brace, quieted them down. I can get on the bike, but I have to reach down and pull down the kickstand with my hand.

Hemi