The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 1, 2021, 12:03 PM   #1
CP93

Where are they?

Given the rolling 50 year window, the Cruffler market ought to be doing well. And yet it seems like there's hardly anything out there now compared to say, 10-15 years ago. Where'd they all go?
Old March 1, 2021, 02:34 PM   #2
SIGSHR

Regarding milsurps, since practically all adopted since WWII are selective fire, they are classified as "machine guns" and are not available.
Old March 1, 2021, 07:31 PM   #3
OneFreeTexan

I have found quite a few C&R eligible guns on GB,,, all I have to do is ask...Some sellers will and some won’t..
Old March 2, 2021, 09:33 AM   #4
CP93

Just seems like not that long ago that you couldn't move without tripping over CMP Garands and Springfields, freshly imported Mausers, Nagants, K-31s, Enfields, SKSs, semiauto AKs, FNs and CETMEs, etc... Now? Not so much.

Am I wrong? Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places?
Old March 3, 2021, 02:59 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Governments, assorted, have stopped surplussing anything. Most have, at the urging of the Third World Debating Club, stopped importing and exporting milsurp rifles as well.
The days of there being warehouses full of milsurp rifles are long gone too.
Old March 4, 2021, 11:17 PM   #6
5whiskey

So to keep this in perspective, no new Mosins, Enfields, K31s, Springfields, Type 99s, Mausers, etc. are being produced. I do understand us collectors aren’t all that common, but with an ever increasing population we collectors increase as well. Add in that there is no new supply, and we are all competing with each other for a few rifles here and there. It’s not that no one surpluses anything anymore. It’s that most of the firearms that are legally owned by civilians have largely all been surplussed and are in the civilian market now. Prices will continue to increase. The heyday of $79 mosins et al are over.

Now there are other opportunities. Manufacturers increased their production to meet demand a good bit in the 70s. You will see a lot of fine revolvers come into play for a C&R license in the coming years. Most of them won’t be that inexpensive though, unfortunately.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old March 5, 2021, 05:22 PM   #7
Jim Watson

"How about selling me that Mauser you haven't shot in 53 years."

"Well, I guess I better keep it."