The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

View Poll Results: How do you identify yourself politically?
Republican - right wing conservative 3 30.00%
Republican - moderate/centrist 1 10.00%
Democrat - moderate/centrist 0 0%
Democrat - left wing progressive 2 20.00%
Independent - conservative leaning 1 10.00%
Independent - liberal leaning 1 10.00%
None of the above - other 2 20.00%
[N/A] Prefer not to say 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 4, 2020, 05:24 PM   #1
Pistoler0

How do you identify yourself politically?

Dear forum members and forum moderators.

I don't know if this thread runs afoul of Forum Rules of conduct #5d:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/faq...aq_forum_rules
5. Topics and conduct that will not be tolerated:
d. Political Advocacy posts, or any purely political topic. However, some very few exceptions may be made.

I am hoping that you will allow an exception based on public interest.

You see, like most people, my life alternates between different social circles.

When I hang out with my group of firearm friends or hunting friends, conversations tend to veer in a direction in which everybody seems to assume that we are all of a certain political persuasion. And when I hang out with my friends from work at the university or with people from my bicycle riding club, the conversations tend to develop with the assumption that we all belong to another political persuasion.

I have always wondered how the universe of firearms owning people in the USA is distributed along political/philosophical lines. We all know how the media on both sides tend to portray firearm enthusiasts in a stereotypical way and so I thought that this poll, if allowed, would help us learn a little more about our community.

I am mindful that membership on The Firing Line forum is probably not representative of the firearms owning population at large. But rather, I think it probably accurately represents the population of "firearm enthusiasts" in America: there are many people that own firearms, or even people who have to use them for work (LE and military) and yet they are not "gun people". I can assume that we at The Firing Line are all "gun people".

So with that in mind, it would be interesting to know how the population of "gun enthusiasts" leans politically wise.

Please if you'd like, and if this post is allowed, answer the poll above, and lets try to remain civil so maybe the moderators will let the thread fly? It could give us real insight into our community.

"How do you identify yourself politically"?

Please no repeat votes as it defeats the purpose of the poll.
Answers to the poll remain anonymous.

NOTE: I did not include a category for "Libertarian" because libertarians are not homogeneous and can have many different views, I'd ask that if you are in this category you choose one of the "Independent" or the "None of the Above" as they best suit you.

Last edited by Pistoler0; December 4, 2020 at 08:19 PM.
Old December 4, 2020, 05:31 PM   #2
gunsrtools

I identify as Disgusted.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old December 4, 2020, 05:33 PM   #3
Pistoler0

I should have included that one
Old December 4, 2020, 05:34 PM   #4
skywag

I just say "Merry Christmas!"
Old December 4, 2020, 06:26 PM   #5
FITASC

Other - Libertarian - with Freedom comes Responsibility, (and smaller, less intrusive government) - to keep this on track about guns - and that ESPECIALLY means the 2A!

(See my SIG line below)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 4, 2020, 06:34 PM   #6
rc

That's a loaded questions for sure....
Old December 4, 2020, 07:34 PM   #7
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc View Post
That's a loaded questions for sure....
Straight shooter....
Old December 4, 2020, 07:42 PM   #8
pete2

I'm a republican, conservative. Independent and none of the above-other are just cop outs. How can you not know what you believe?????
Old December 4, 2020, 07:49 PM   #9
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete2 View Post
I'm a republican, conservative. Independent and none of the above-other are just cop outs. How can you not know what you believe?????
It is possible that one's beliefs do not exactly fit one of those molds.
Old December 4, 2020, 07:51 PM   #10
Pahoo

Pro-2A

Pro-2A

Be Safe !!!
Old December 4, 2020, 08:16 PM   #11
zxcvbob

I'm a Ron Paul republican. I have a libertarian bent. I tell people "I'm an independent but I caucus with the Republicans." (that's true, I was a county delegate for Ron Paul in 2012)

I usually vote straight ticket Republican, because whenever I've voted for a conservative Democrat (even ones 'A' rated by the NRA) as soon as they get to Washington they join the hive and vote however the party leader tells them to.
Old December 4, 2020, 08:40 PM   #12
jmr40

Quote:
How can you not know what you believe?????
I consider myself an independent and know exactly what I believe. I USUALLY vote Republican. But there are dozens of issues to consider. Sometimes the Democrat's views on most of the issues are more in line with mine. I won't vote for a Republican just because I agree with them on 1 or 2 issues and disagree on 8-9 others.

And this isn't just Washington politics. When you get down to state and local elections it gets even more complex. If the guy running for county commissioner is an idiot I'm not going to vote for him just because he has an "R" beside his name.

There is an old saying; Politicians and diapers need to be changed regularly... And for the same reasons. Sometimes both parties get way too far out of line and need to put in their place so they remember why they are there. Blindly supporting only 1 party and not holding them accountable is a mistake.

Winston Churchill
Old December 4, 2020, 08:47 PM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I am hoping that you will allow an exception based on public interest.
I see no public interest served by asking people their personal private political affiliation. Therefore, no exception.
Not suited to L&CR forum under existing forum rules.
Closed

without penalty...