The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: How often do you clean your 22s?
After every range session 39 54.17%
At a certain round count 5 6.94%
At a certain time frame (monthly, bi-annually etc.) 6 8.33%
When it stops running right. 22 30.56%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 1, 2021, 07:20 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

How do you maintain your 22s?

Just got a Browning 1911-22, have not had a fun gun 22 pistol in a while. 22s run dirty, and in my experience 22 pistols tend to be more finicky than rifles in my experience.

How do you guys maintain yours to keep them running. Currently cleaning after each range session, usually 100-500rnds.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; March 1, 2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old March 1, 2021, 07:32 PM   #2
AzShooter

I clean after every range session. I do a complete takedown of my pistols to make sure even the firing pin is clean and oil free. Before I started doing this I started having Failure-To-Fires. Now my guns run flawlessly.
Old March 1, 2021, 07:38 PM   #3
Alan0354

I clean all my pistols EXCEPT the Ruger Mark II. I literally let that go for long time. I thought I shot it loose, but lately, I found out the crap buildup was so bad the bolt won't even close and it sticks. I gave it a good cleaning now, I am waiting for the range to open to try it out again. I am surprised it even shot, never mind accuracy.
Old March 1, 2021, 07:48 PM   #4
cslinger

All my firearms are cleaned after every range session NORMALLY. I mean there have been times where I was too busy or had several range sessions back to back but my norm is clean after use.

This does not mean scrub the bejezzus out of them or the barrel. The vast majority of cleaning I do uses only patches unless a need is indicated otherwise.
Old March 1, 2021, 07:57 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslinger View Post
All my firearms are cleaned after every range session NORMALLY. I mean there have been times where I was too busy or had several range sessions back to back but my norm is clean after use.

This does not mean scrub the bejezzus out of them or the barrel. The vast majority of cleaning I do uses only patches unless a need is indicated otherwise.
Barrel- I have found for 22s they generally take care of themselves. I generally just run a lightly oiled patch or bore snake, and only do a deep cleaning about once a year.

Action- I generally deep clean after every time. I use a gun cleaner and nylon brush to lightly scrub every surface. Have brass picks for carbon buildup scraping. Then I wipe down with large patches before oiling and reassembly.
Old March 1, 2021, 08:45 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post

How do you guys maintain yours to keep them running. Currently cleaning after each range session, usually 100-500rnds.
I clean it "every once in a while".
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 1, 2021, 09:06 PM   #7
bamaranger

fail to fire

One hears a lot about failures to fire in the .22 lr, in both handguns and rifles.
I often wonder how much of this issue is related to dirty guns? The failure to fire problem is often directed at certain brands of bulk ammo. Most all of my .22's will discharge bulk ammo pretty reliably.....I clean after every session, but go lightly on the bores most of the time.
Old March 1, 2021, 09:13 PM   #8
chris downs

The is a far stronger correlation of misfires with ammo brand than the correlation of misfires with cleaning.
Old March 1, 2021, 09:50 PM   #9
FunGramps

I not only clean after every use, I clean them every few months, give them the CLP treatment, and put it back.

No rust on my guns, ever!
Old March 1, 2021, 11:33 PM   #10
jrothWA

Have revolver and Woodsman .22, normally after each range for hunting trip to clean the bore and chamber / cylinder.

Once a year detail to clean and relube, works for me.
Old March 2, 2021, 01:11 AM   #11
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
One hears a lot about failures to fire in the .22 lr, in both handguns and rifles.
I often wonder how much of this issue is related to dirty guns? The failure to fire problem is often directed at certain brands of bulk ammo. Most all of my .22's will discharge bulk ammo pretty reliably.....I clean after every session, but go lightly on the bores most of the time.
I never have a miss fire ever with 22LR, I shot the most on 22LR. In fact, the only miss fire I ever have is with a 25ACP, that was a dead round, I kept snapping a few time until the firing pin hit a big dent on the primer and still won't fire. It's just dead.

I did not know how long had I not clean my Ruger Mark II 22LR, I even had a thread talking about it and had pictures on how much crap in the chamber. The bolt won't even close unless I push it in. It never miss fired.

I have a Ruger 1020 rifle in 22LR, never have problem miss firing.

I don't think my wife ever had a miss fire either, I would have know as she'd tell me in the range, we go together every weekend for a few years.
Old March 2, 2021, 01:50 PM   #12
stinkeypete

You’ll notice an appreciable degradation in accuracy after running a brush down the barrel until you re-season with about 30 rounds. At least that’s what I observe and a lot of fellas that shoot in higher class than me.

I always wipe finger marks with a soft cloth and break free.

Maybe every couple hundred rounds blow out the chamber/extractor area and any loose crud out of the barrel.

Every year (or brick, which ever comes first) I like Hornady one shot and a tooth brush for cleaning the extractor and then a good bronze brushing from the breach.

One shot flushes out the firing pin and nook/spring of the extractor without disassembly.

The old Rugers are a test of your manhood to reassemble, but like manual transmission, are really easy once you remember or learn the hang of it. Then you’re a pistolero. Do it three times and it’s easy peasy.

That said, I use a store bought boresnake with the bronze bristles on the guns that are hard to get at the breech end of the barrel and carefully PULL a short .22 brush breech to muzzle esp for my TT Olympia clone which needs the Ultradot removed to take off the slide.

Don’t shoot competitively until you’ve put 50 down the pipe and your group size settles back in.

If you’re shooting club league, go ahead, clean every session. I told ya, and if you don’t believe me I’ll take every point I can to place ahead of you!
Old March 2, 2021, 01:56 PM   #13
bamaranger

fail to fire

I didn't intend to take this thread down the wrong path, it started concerning cleaning practices, now we are discussing .22 ammo reliability. In my mind the two are related, perhaps more than others may think, and that's fine by me. Believe what you want, clean (or not) your guns they way you choose.

I would agree that certain brands of bulk .22 have a higher rate of failure to fire than others. There is a certain brand/label that I will not buy, for that very reason. However, another certain brand/label functions very well and provides good accuracy in all my .22's, yet is frequently condemned by others. Go figure. I suspect dirty guns with the naysayers.

I see a lot of really nasty .22's. Fellow dropped off a 1960-70's era Win 190 .22 SA rifle back during deer season, "won't chamber a round, won't run." I ran a cleaning rod with patch down the bore, and out of the chamber pops the front half of a .22 case. Case head separation. I pulled the trigger group and buried up in the gunk was the rear portion/rim of that case. I literally had to scrape the gook from the trigger group and receiver, I doubt the rifle had EVER been cleaned.

If one's never had a failure to fire with a .22,...NEVER.... , I'll go out on a limb and say, you will, eventually. I've got to wonder how much .22 shooting one has done to make such a claim?

On .22's in general, there is a school of thought that the bore does not need as much attention as other firearms and I agree, to a certain extent. Guard against rust, but don't overdo it and damage bore or crown by overcleaning, especially with a cheap, dirty aluminum rod. Semiauto guns actions get a good deal more attention, "clean machines run better" so my Dad said.
Old March 2, 2021, 01:58 PM   #14
FITASC

Choice #5 - when I have time and remember to do so.............
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 2, 2021, 02:33 PM   #15
Richard b

My Ruger SP101 in 22LR taught me 20 years ago to clean out under the ejecter regularly or it can get so crudded up that the cylinder may not close. Very embarrassing to have the guy running the range to point it out to me . Lesson learned.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old March 2, 2021, 03:17 PM   #16
Pahoo

One size does not fit all

Quote:
How do you maintain your 22s?
I listen to the firearm and address what it needs at the moment. There are many factors to consider. There are times when I even do a light cleaning after extended storage. This question has been beat to death and by now, we have all developed our own techniques and schedules. Of all the choices listed, round-count seldom comes into play, for me. ....

Used;
Almost always need cleaning. I also clean for other folks.

New;
Always do a light cleaning. Once found a dirty bore from a Factory-Shipped and called them on it. Turns out it was from them test firing it. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 2, 2021, 03:39 PM   #17
Alan0354

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
If one's never had a failure to fire with a .22,...NEVER.... , I'll go out on a limb and say, you will, eventually. I've got to wonder how much .22 shooting one has done to make such a claim?
About 7000 to 8000 rounds.

I actually had a thread about my Ruger Mark II how dirty it was with pictures in post #19.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=610541
Never failed. I just never have a failure to fire in 22LR. I just lost accuracy.

I shot two mini Freedom Arm revolvers, never had a problem.

Last edited by Alan0354; March 2, 2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old March 2, 2021, 06:26 PM   #18
sigarms228

After each range tip I use Q-Tips to clean off barrel feed ramp, barrel end, and bolt face and sometimes a toothpick or plastic pick if I see some build up that needs help being removed . If needed a little Breakfree CLP on the Q-Tip. Bore gets cleaned maybe three times a year.
Old March 2, 2021, 06:29 PM   #19
FITASC

One type of gun I have that does need regular cleaning are my S&W K-22s as the cheap ammo tends to build up gunk in the cylinder making rounds hard to push in after a while.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 3, 2021, 08:17 AM   #20
Adventurer 2

I own a tight chamber 10/22 that chokes on bulk 22 ammo if not cleaned - started using a synthetic safe gun scrubber to blow the crud out on this rifle. Also started using the gun scrubber on my Ruger Mark pistols as it was easier than taking them apart.
Old March 4, 2021, 10:20 AM   #21
Willie Lowman

I have a MK II Ruger 22/45. I take it apart once a year to clean.
Old March 4, 2021, 01:12 PM   #22
John D

Really don't look forward to cleaning guns, although, once I'm into it, it's fine. Some people are really fastidious; ok, but that's not me. My carry pistols are always in good shape. My 22's get cleaned only when they need it or I'm already in a "mass cleaning session".
Old March 4, 2021, 02:16 PM   #23
GarandTd

My 22s will get a wipedown after use, but I don't thoroughly clean them until I can start to notice heavy build-up or operational differences(not necessarily malfunctions).
Old March 6, 2021, 12:10 AM   #24
Ignition Override

Internally, approx. every 200-400 rds. Externally wiped- also with Ballistol -within about 3-7 days.

I'm not gonna lie OP, as I Should say after each shooting session, inside and outside.

But none of us will ever meet each other in person, will we? Might as well be honest, but as tactful as we would be drinking Smithwick's side-by-side.
Old March 6, 2021, 06:22 AM   #25
Hawg

I give all my new or new to me guns a deep cleaning as soon as I get them home no matter what caliber. I used to be one of those that wouldn't clean a .22 until it "needed it." I clean them more often now except for bores. I won't touch a .22 bore until it affects accuracy. As for the Browning 1911 .22, I love mine. It's my favorite .22 handgun to shoot. It's not a target gun by any stretch of the imagination but it's a hella fun little gun to plink with.