The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 2, 2021, 05:25 PM   #1
Tom Servo
Staff

H.R.1446 - Enhanced Background Checks Act of 2021

This is the one they've been gearing up for. It currently has 60 cosponsors, and the NSSF says they're going to bypass the committee process and bring it straight to a floor vote.

This is the relevant language:

Quote:
not fewer than 10 business days (meaning a day on which State offices are open) has elapsed since the licensee contacted the system, and the system has not notified the licensee that the receipt of a firearm by such other person would violate subsection (g) or (n) of this section, and the other person has submitted, electronically through a website established by the Attorney General or by first-class mail, a petition for review
Right now, if your background check gets delayed, the government has 3 business days to review it. If they haven't found anything and contacted the FFL, he can choose to transfer the gun to you. This was explicitly included in the Brady Act so the FBI couldn't put people on indefinite delay.

(Frankly, if they can't determine you're disqualified within three days, that's their problem.)

This law changes that in two ways. First off, you have to wait 10 business days to even get the ball rolling. After that period, they still can't release the gun to you. You would have to petition (through some undefined website, apparently) for review, and who knows how long that will take.

What this means is, the FBI can decide they're too busy to run the checks and put everyone on delayed status. It would be up to us to prove we're not disqualified.

Start writing your legislators now, folks. Popvox has a page that makes it easy.
Old March 5, 2021, 01:10 AM   #2
5whiskey

Yeah this is a big deal. This is a bill I could actually see passing the senate, as there will pressure for one party to “compromise” at least some unless they want the other party to go nuclear and threaten the filibuster. We know 15 an hour minimum wage is dead in the water, along with the new election integrity bill. There will be pressure. “You can’t say no to everything, or we have to rethink the filibuster.” This bill could look just barely benign enough to have a few senators say “we have to give them something, and this doesn’t look so bad.”

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old March 5, 2021, 06:34 AM   #3
Brit

I am so happy I have all the firearms I need! The non-competition status I now enjoy means the ammunition I posses, is fine. Getting old is a status I enjoy!
Old March 13, 2021, 09:40 AM   #4
DMK

So this passed in the house.

There were 20 GOP traitors who betrayed gun owners and everyone should know who they are:

Roy Blunt (R-MO)
Richard Burr (R-NC)
Shelley Capito (R-WV)
Bill Cassidy (R-LA)
Susan Collins (R-ME)
John Cornyn (R-TX)
Joni Ernst (R-IA)
Lindsey Graham (R-SC)
Chuck Grassley (R-IA)
Jim Inhofe (R-OK)
Ron Johnson (R-WI)
James Lankford (R-OK)
Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
Jerry Moran (R-KS)
Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
Rob Portman (R-OH)
Mitt Romney (R-UT)
Mike Rounds (R-SD)
John Thune (R-SD)
Thom Tillis (R-NC)

Last edited by DMK; March 13, 2021 at 11:14 AM.
Old March 13, 2021, 10:06 AM   #5
s3779m

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
So this passed in the house.

There were 20 GOP traitors who betrayed gun owners on this and HR 8. And everyone should know who they are:

Roy Blunt (R-MO)
Richard Burr (R-NC)
Shelley Capito (R-WV)
Bill Cassidy (R-LA)
Susan Collins (R-ME)
John Cornyn (R-TX)
Joni Ernst (R-IA)
Lindsey Graham (R-SC)
Chuck Grassley (R-IA)
Jim Inhofe (R-OK)
Ron Johnson (R-WI)
James Lankford (R-OK)
Mitch McConnell (R-KY)
Jerry Moran (R-KS)
Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
Rob Portman (R-OH)
Mitt Romney (R-UT)
Mike Rounds (R-SD)
John Thune (R-SD)
Thom Tillis (R-NC)
I can not find where the senate has voted on either bills yet.
Old March 13, 2021, 11:14 AM   #6
DMK

Quote:
I can not find where the senate has voted on either bills yet.
I'm sorry, I got my issues confused. The blood is in the water and there has been a lot of anti-2nd activity lately in congress.

These were the (so called) Republicans who voted for the virulently anti-gun Attorney General Merrick Garland.

So either way, they voted against us once already, and we need to put pressure on them to not betray us again in these issues.

The Senate is our last stand now, before these bad legislations are passed. Lose there and then we'll need to go to the Supreme Court. If the court will even choose to listen.
Old March 13, 2021, 12:38 PM   #7
s3779m

The senate will have to kill the filibusterer before it will pass. If that does happen, we will have little choices. As they say, pray, but keep it loaded.
Old March 13, 2021, 08:53 PM   #8
heyjoe

they dont have to kill the filibuster they could change the rules for the filibuster and that would decrease the use of the filibuster. two changes they are talking about making is going back to making the senator who invokes the filibuster to keep talking, that senator could pass the podium off to someone else but a senator has to keep talking or the filibuster is closed. Another change being talked about is that instead of needing 60 votes to kill the filibuster, forcing the party using the filibuster to keep 41 senators there at all times available to vote or the filibuster can be voted on to close. if there arent 41 votes there to keep the filibuster open then it will be closed to debate.
Old March 15, 2021, 06:55 PM   #9
KyJim

Quote:
I'm sorry, I got my issues confused. The blood is in the water and there has been a lot of anti-2nd activity lately in congress.

These were the (so called) Republicans who voted for the virulently anti-gun Attorney General Merrick Garland.

So either way, they voted against us once already, and we need to put pressure on them to not betray us again in these issues.
There's a big difference, IMO, in approving a president's selection of a cabinet secretary, which is inherently a political position, and voting for universal background checks.

As the saying went on a particular late term SCOTUS appointment: "Elections have consequences."
Old March 15, 2021, 08:19 PM   #10
44 AMP
Staff

It might be worth mentioning to our officials to ask the question, WHY in the age of computers, with all the world's information virtually instantly available do they need TEN DAYS when before computers and the information age, the law allowed them THREE DAYS and they seemed to manage to do it, then...
Old March 16, 2021, 06:30 AM   #11
Spats McGee
Staff

Time to hit popvox and contact our Senators and Representatives, if you haven't already done so.

https://www.popvox.com/
Old March 17, 2021, 09:47 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

The NRA used to have a web page that allowed you to find/email your elected officials. It made it very easy.
I can find no such page now.
Old March 18, 2021, 12:59 AM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
The NRA used to have a web page that allowed you to find/email your elected officials. It made it very easy.
I can find no such page now.
https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials
Jeepaholic