The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2021, 05:52 AM   #51
stuckinthe60s

still no answer as to why the browning o&u was invented.............
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner

Last edited by stuckinthe60s; March 1, 2021 at 06:17 AM.
Old February 27, 2021, 08:36 AM   #52
FITASC

You'll have to ask BOSS or Beretta who had semblances of them prior to JMB's Superposed
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 27, 2021, 10:40 AM   #53
Doyle

Quote:
still no answer as to why the o&u was invented.............
Old February 27, 2021, 01:12 PM   #54
bladesmith 1

Post 31 was NOT polite. Even after that you refer to tape or a Magic Dots as crap, which is a poor term if you're being polite. You can convey your method without having to criticize someones else's method just because it's not the same as yours. Or you could just state you feel your method is better, but instead it was, what I use is crap. There are Olympic shooters who use a Dot, so it can't be all bad.

My master eye will unexpectedly shift and I fell the tape is my best solution.

I apologize for the manly statement. Your saying you got ill just struck me as being funny.

I did not refer to you in my post, and still haven't, but if the shoe fits wear it.

Maybe " What I don't get is not one person so far seems to have comprehended using the thumb as I described " would tell you something. If you want to do it that's fine with me, I have no problem with it or nothing bad to say about it. And I never did. Once again, please show my post the same respect. Thank you. Paul
Old February 27, 2021, 01:54 PM   #55
stuckinthe60s

doyle, a sbs has 1 sighting plane too.

as to my question, I didn't ask who made the first o&u, I asked why john b' made HIS o&u and why REMINGTON made theirs.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old February 27, 2021, 03:26 PM   #56
wild cat mccane

It isn’t known. Probably to make more money.

https://www.clay-shooting.com/featur...ver-and-under/
Old February 27, 2021, 04:29 PM   #57
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
If you're closing an eye shooting any type of firearm you're doing it wrong.
If you hit your target there is no "wrong".

period.

There are methods that work better for some people, some that work better for most people, and some of those don't work well for some people.

No matter what style they use, if it works, its not wrong. Telling people they are wrong when they aren't is what's "wrong".

I close my left eye when shooting. EVERY TIME, no matter what I'm shooting. And it works for me. Shooting with both eyes open screws things up for me. Apparently, I'm not the same as "most people" and I don't try to be. I'm me, and I do what works, for me. I generally hit what I aim at, using my right eye, shooting right handed. If I'm "wrong" in your opinion, so be it, but I'm not wrong in my opinion, my method has been working for me for over half a century and I'm not going to be changing it because someone else thinks I'm "wrong".

I've never had an O/U, primarily due to their high cost. They feel like a 2x4 on edge in my hands, so I've never had any real desire for one. SxS feel different, and ok for me, so I use them and enjoy them.
Old February 28, 2021, 02:35 PM   #58
Willie Lowman

I prefer the look of a sxs but I shoot clays with a superposed.
Old March 1, 2021, 08:58 AM   #59
bladesmith 1

I've know some very good one eyed shooters. It seems like at the distances we shoot it doesn't make a real big difference. Maybe if you were a competitor on national sporting clays events where a lot of birds were thrown over 40 yards two eyes would help. But most local courses and normal hunting takes place at closer distances. To each their own.

Darn it Willie, I learned it isn't how good you shoot, but how good you look doing it. Wouldn't you really look better with a SxS in your hands ?