The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 9, 2021, 08:57 AM   #26
stagpanther

I'm not positive, and this obviously doesn't apply to the OP's receiver, but Savage I believe does in fact make single-shot target receivers that do have 3 receiver screws since there is no machined magazine slot.
Old February 9, 2021, 08:57 AM   #27
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Redneck View Post
PistolerO
Do you have the tool required to adjust the Accutrigger? It requires a little gizmo to do that.
Colorado Redneck I don't think I do, but apparently one can do it with fingers?

I called the smith yesterday and he confirmed what you said, that it was probably the trigger being adjusted too light (from the symptoms).

I am waiting for a torque wrench to show up from Amazon and I will tackle the project then.
Old February 9, 2021, 08:59 AM   #28
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Here's one you can do without any worries or tools--can you easily remove the bolt--and does the bolt release go all the way down when pressing without any binding?
The bolt release does not appear to bind.

Quote:
Savage I believe does in fact make single-shot target receivers that do have 3 receiver screws
The smith told me that the forward most and the middle screw are the ones that hold the action (picture in the OP), and that the screw at the rear of the trigger guard is just a wood holding screw that is not relevant for accuracy.

I will come back to this thread when I the torque wrenches get here and I get started with the project. Maybe I'll make a video to show how the safety is locking up so we can have it for reference in the forum.

Is there a way to post video here btw? Its a little antiquated that it only allows us to post pictures.

Last edited by Pistoler0; February 9, 2021 at 09:05 AM.
Old February 9, 2021, 09:08 AM   #29
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
This has been said twice now and is not accurate.

The bolt on each side of the magazine is to be torqued to 35 in lbs.

The rear tapping screw is to be just tightened secure.....I run down to no looseness and give it just 1/16 to 1/8 turn to secure.
Yep that's what the smith said.
Although he recommended 22 to 25 for the front screw and
up to 20 for the one in the back.
Old February 9, 2021, 11:23 AM   #30
stagpanther

So pistoler--did your smith essentially say you personally adjust the trigger that he worked on rather than send the rifle back to him? Nothing wrong with that--as long as you are pretty familiar with all the adjustments and how to test for complete and proper functioning--which should be easy to follow in your owner's manual. I would verify from your smith if there was anything he did to the trigger assembly beyond simply turning down the triggerpull weight.

I still say the best way to check the functioning is to first pull the action from the stock and test it. You're not risking anything by doing so.

Last edited by stagpanther; February 9, 2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old February 9, 2021, 11:31 AM   #31
Marco Califo

The picture above shows the Accutrigger, two bolts through the stock. The back third wood screw, into the stock, is to hold the rear of the trigger guard
Old February 9, 2021, 11:49 AM   #32
Pistoler0

Quote:
So pistoler--did your smith essentially say you personally adjust the trigger that he worked on rather than send the rifle back to him?
I would verify from your smith if there was anything he did to the trigger assembly beyond simply turning down the triggerpull weight.

I still say the best way to check the functioning is to first pull the action from the stock and test it. You're not risking anything by doing so.
He gave me the option to send it back, but I'm going to try to adjust it myself.
He didn't do anything to the trigger assembly.
Old February 9, 2021, 12:07 PM   #33
stagpanther

Quote:
He gave me the option to send it back, but I'm going to try to adjust it myself.
He didn't do anything to the trigger assembly.
That's good, hopefully it truly is nothing more than the triggerpull adjustment--and this will be a great way to learn about your rifle.
Old February 9, 2021, 09:15 PM   #34
Scorch

A few tips-
* There are two screws at the back of the trigger. One is for over travel and the other is for the safety.
* You set the safety with the rifle cocked so that the trigger does not move, but not too tight or the safety will not go on either. Work the safety several times to make sure it engages and disengages.
* Overtravel is set so that the sear releases AND clears the trigger nose.. If you set it too tight the sear will hang up on the front screw when you pull the trigger.
* The screw at the front of the trigger is for sear engagement. If you are running a Savage factory trigger, set plenty of engagement as the trigger bar is a casting and will wear rapidly, giving you the issue described above, the sear will release when the rifle is cocked by just jarring the rifle.
* The other screw on the side at the front is for weight of pull, set it above 3 lbs for a Savage because the sear spring is heavier than 2-1/2 lbs and will push the trigger off if it is set too low.

All these are a good reason to go to a Timney or Rifle Basix.
Old February 10, 2021, 06:00 AM   #35
stagpanther

Excellent points Scorch--easy, succinct bullets (as opposed to my ramblings ; ) ). I looked around on the net for a diagram of the trigger so the OP could visually match up those points but couldn't find one with all of them.
Old February 11, 2021, 02:49 PM   #36
Pistoler0

Finally reporting back, problem solved!:

Hello all, I finally got my wheeler set of torque wrenches and went to work on my Savage.

The smith that serviced it told me that of the three screws visible in the OP, I only needed to bother with the two forward most ones; the rearmost just holds the trigger guard in place.

So I disassembled the action which was straight forward and went to work on the trigger. I do not have a Savage accutrigger tool, but a very small screw driver bit (the size used for small computer or smarphone screws) did the job. I turned the screw clock-wise 1-1/2 full turn and tested the trigger pull with a trigger scale: A little over 2 lbs.

I retested trigger pull about 10 times and the trigger pull is consistent at around 2lbs. But most importantly: no problems with the safety binding or the trigger firing upon closing the action. So the trigger had been set too light and it was definitely what caused the original problem.

Increasing the accutrigger weight completely solved the issue.

To reassemble the rifle, I found conflicting instructions as to how much to torque the two action screws: Savage recommends 25 to 35 inch-lbs for laminate stocks. Most advice suggests that it is the tension in the back action screw (would be the center screw in the OP photo) that affects accuracy. But also that this screw is the one who has a tendency to get untightened with rifle use.

so following instruction I proceeded as follows:
- tightened both action screws by hand so they hold the action.
- rest rifle vertically on its butt and gently tap it on the floor so the action and recoil lug gets seated.
- tighten the front most screw to 20 inch-lbs, then tighten the back action screw to 12 inch-lbs.
- un-tighten the front screw slightly, then tighten the back action screw to 20 inch-lbs, and bring the front screw up to 25 inch lbs.
- Lastly tighten the back screw to 25 inch-lbs and bring the front screw up to 30 inch lbs.

Thats where I left the screws: Front action screw tightened to 30 inch-lbs. Back action screw tightened to 25 inch-lbs. Both are in spec with Savage's recommendations of 25-35 inch lbs.

Some including my smith suggested to leave the back screw at around 20 inch-lbs then maybe play up with its tension little by little to see how the rifle groups its shots, but I resolved to follow the manufacturer's indications and leave the back action screw at 25 inch - lbs which is the lowest they recommend.

I have not shot the rifle but I have been dry-firing it and the trigger and safety work as they are supposed to, cleanly firing at 2 lbs of finger pressure.

Thank you everyone for your replies, they really helped.

Last edited by Pistoler0; February 11, 2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old February 11, 2021, 04:05 PM   #37
stagpanther

Yay! Now all you need to do is find a carrier for your AR 47.
Old February 11, 2021, 09:04 PM   #38
Pistoler0

Quote:
Yay! Now all you need to do is find a carrier for your AR 47.
I did! : ) (I had to pay $200 for it, I feel stoopid)

and I went through an ordeal installing an extra power extractor spring and an enhanced firing pin. It was really really difficult getting the retaining pins in. I am posting another thread about it.

Now I have to go shoot them both, probably tomorrow Friday : )
Old February 11, 2021, 10:33 PM   #39
Marco Califo

Savage Accutrigger Tool

The adjustment tool comes with the rifle. 1" long with a yellow knob. Its in the box in a packet with the manual and cable lock.

I have changed stocks back and forth on Savage rifles, and unscrewed and then tightened when reassembling. I never used a torque wrench. I also never had any problem. Boyds says to hold the barrel in the center of the channel. I just tighten by feel, just past serious resistance. You could also use Lok-tite. Glad everything is OK.

Last edited by Marco Califo; February 11, 2021 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Savage Accutrigger Tool