The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 10, 2020, 11:55 AM   #1
Grant 14

Winchester Low Wall parts?

Any recommendations on locating early Low Wall parts. I need a flat main spring and tenon and forearm tenon. I have tried Numrich and Jack First with no luck. Any other suppliers out there? Thanks, Grant.
Old September 10, 2020, 12:13 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Wyoming Armory. Parts are expensive but what are you going to do?
http://www.wyomingarmory.com/gun-parts.html

C. Sharps makes a leaf spring Single Shot, you might ask them for parts.
http://csharpsarms.com/catalog-detai...e-Actions.html
Old September 12, 2020, 08:05 PM   #3
Grant 14

Jim, thank you, I almost missed your post. I am only in need of a flat main spring and the tenons for it and the forearm. I just ordered a .357 barrel liner to have installed in my shot out 22 barrel. Gun was originally a 25-20 SS, with single set trigger, so it is set up for center fire. I am going to go with 38 special rather than the 357 mag that the owner of Midway did with his lowwall. I will get on the phone Monday and see what Sharps has for parts, compared to Wyomingarmory. I tend to gulp at prices, but it is just old metal unless I finish it. Thanks again. Grant.
Old September 12, 2020, 09:41 PM   #4
51cskipper

http://homesteadparts.com/shop/winch...885-c-1_6.html

You might check with Dixie Gun Works, too. They might have the spring.

Last edited by 51cskipper; September 12, 2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old September 13, 2020, 09:38 AM   #5
Grant 14

Skipper, thanks for the links. homesteadparts may have what I need, so I will get on the phone tomorrow and check all three of the links that folks have listed. Dixie didnt have anything for the Low wall. I have had this project sitting for many years and I used to have a list of parts suppliers but lost the list in a wildland fire (welcome to California) along with drawers full of 1894 and 1886 Winchester parts. The Low Wall project was in another building that survived so I have decided to get on with it and make a useful gun out of it. Grant.
Old September 13, 2020, 10:30 AM   #6
Jim Watson

I have a couple of extra trigger springs, I don't even remember where they came from, I will see if the baggie is labeled.

ETA: All the baggie has is a part number.

Another source, MVA
https://montanavintagearms.com/winchester-parts/

Think you could make a Uberti part fit? Much less expensive.
https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/hi...ts-uberti.html

Last edited by Jim Watson; September 13, 2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old September 14, 2020, 10:06 AM   #7
Grant 14

Hi Jim, my trigger set up is complete and is a single set. There is not too much that I really need other than the previous mentioned parts. The next big expense will be getting the liner installed in the barrel and getting the rimfire extractor groove welded up because the center fire extractor is much smaller. I know a very good machinist that will do that part for me. I have Fagen semi inletted/semi fancy wood for it, so there will be lot of hand work, but that is fine. If you happen to run across other parts, I might be interested, just for spares. Thanks, Grant.
Old September 14, 2020, 10:12 AM   #8
Grant 14

I just checked the links that you listed and I didnt know that the replicas used the early flat spring. I will check my books to see if the highwall and lowwall take the same main spring. I will be checking with Cimmaron today. Thanks again.
Old September 14, 2020, 11:00 AM   #9
jcj54

The high wall and low wall

Both take the same spring
Old September 14, 2020, 09:54 PM   #10
Grant 14

My .357 barrel liner arrived today and looks real good. It was supposed to be 28 inches but actually measures 30.5 inches. With shipping it was only about $80 from Chaszel.com. I just sent an email to Cimarron arms for the price of the main spring and tenon and screw. Their prices seem much better than the few other places that had any of the parts in stock. JCJ54, thanks about the spring. I have several Winchester books, but none were clear on them being the same. Now I need to buy a new wet stone and start polishing the pits out of the 120+ year old barrel before I get the liner installed. Its all fun. Grant.
Old September 14, 2020, 11:54 PM   #11
Jim Watson

Found it. My trigger springs are Ubertis from VTI.
Mainsprings and other parts there. Only question is whether they can be made to work in real Winchester.
https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/sh...+1885+Low+Wall
Old September 15, 2020, 11:16 AM   #12
Grant 14

I had previously read that Uberti parts were interchangable with original Winchester parts, but in reading John Campbells book "The Winchester Single-Shot", it seems there are far more variations to the 1885 than Madis indicates. I think it is all going to be a bit of custom fitting. I had not seen the vintage gun parts web site before. It is basically the same as Cimarron. In looking at Cimarron online, the diagram they show for the low wall has the wrong part numbers listed. I spoke to a sales rep and he emailed me the correct diagram and parts list. It was a bit confusing. I am just waiting for a quote on price and shipping, and will then order what I think I need. When I get further along on the project, I may order a .357 extractor from Cimarron, since that might be easier than modifying my 25-20 S.S. extractor.
Finding the 38 barrel liner at a reasonable price is what got me going again on this project. I wanted a caliber that was available and compatible with my and my sons 38 revolvers. Thanks Jim and others for the advice. Grant.
Old September 15, 2020, 04:30 PM   #13
Scorch

Early 1885s used a flat mainspring. Ubertis and Pedersolis use coil springs. The original 1885 was a very simple design but required a lot of parts to do something simple. So people thought they could improve it . . .

Last edited by Scorch; September 15, 2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old September 15, 2020, 04:56 PM   #14
Jim Watson

VTI and Cimarron parts diagram shows a flat mainspring for Uberti.
The coil spring came in to make a takedown model possible, then just kind of stuck around.
Old September 15, 2020, 06:16 PM   #15
Grant 14

Cimarron seems to sell both flat and coil springs for the 1885. Their diagram on their web site shows a flat spring low wall but the number for the main spring is for a coil spring. I called and talked to a good rep and he emailed me the diagram for the actual flat spring model and very different part numbers. I ordered the spring, tenon and forearm tenon this morning, so in a few days I will be happy or cursing. I just located a facebook forum for single shots and saw a posting of very good diagrams of 1885 parts. I think I will join and find out what book they came from. I have seen diagrams and photos of a flat spring takedown model 1885. As much as I like my "Madis Book", the John Campbell book seems more informative. I will let you know when the parts arrive. Grant.
Old September 21, 2020, 07:47 PM   #16
Grant 14

The main spring and tenons arrived today. I sort of dry fitted the main spring and it seems to work just fine. I did not put the tenons in, but the main spring length looks correct. Now comes the tedious work of polishing out enough of the barrel pitting, so it doesnt look awful. It is going to be a shooter, not a collector gun so I wont get carried away. Thank you all for the advice. Grant.