The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 25, 2012, 11:01 AM   #1
CommonSense

.17hmr scope suggestions

I'm looking for a scope for my savage 93 bolt action .17HMR. I have always had a great desire to learn how to fully utilize a mildot reticle and want this rifle to be what I learn it on. I figure the cost of .17 ammunition will allow me to learn with greater experience and not break the bank doing so. Now, Since this rimfire will be capable of 170+ meter shots and be primarily used for varmints and small game, I want to have a higher magnification than say on my deer rifle. Any suggestions on a budget scope with better than BSA glass? I spent 200$ on the rifle and will not be spending more on a scope for it. All input / suggestions welcome
Old August 25, 2012, 11:38 AM   #2
big al hunter

Better glass=more$. If you are planning to upgrade your rifle for long range shooting in the future, spend more on the scope now. When you upgrade and take advantage of the skills you will learn shooting the 17 with a new rifle you can swap the scope. Then you will already be familiar with the scope. You will also be able to spend more $ on the new rifle because you will already have the optics.
Also decide if you want first focal plane or second focal plane reticle. On second focal plane reticle in variable power scopes the mil dot only works on one power setting.

Last edited by big al hunter; August 25, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old August 25, 2012, 01:01 PM   #3
SSA

Bushnell Elite 10X40. There's a rebate.
Old August 26, 2012, 06:58 AM   #4
joshobrien77

I have the Nikon Pro staff rim fire 150 bdc on mine. Super clear glass, locked parallax at 50yds. Its. 3-9 and that's the only down side. I have taken pdogs out to 200 with it but its not great for precision paper work past 75.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old August 26, 2012, 02:47 PM   #5
CommonSense

Thanks for the feedback gang. Big Al, I understand how you justify your decision making process as I own a Zeiss and felt I could just put it on any rifle in the future. for this Rimfire, it is not going to wear ANYTHING over 200$. I am going to paint the rifle,rings, scope and all once I decide on a scope. Looking at Mullers and Bushnells at the moment... any focal plane I'm ok with. any worthy scopes in this price range??
Old August 27, 2012, 09:00 PM   #6
big al hunter

With that plan and budget I would go with the Mueller tactical. All the companies i have checked only offer mil dot in their high end tactical lines. Post a new thread with your choice and see what reviews you get.
Old August 30, 2012, 12:16 AM   #7
rimshooter

I have the Nikon Pro staff Rimfire 150 BDC on my 77/17. I think it is a great scope and there was a $50 rebate when I got mine so if I recall correctly I'm into it for less than $100...
Old September 2, 2012, 06:11 AM   #8
CommonSense

Thanks for the feedback so far gang. I'm currently looking at the Mueller tactical APT in 4.5-14x40 with the 30mm main tube. Its $169.00 or so from where Ive been looking. For the (lower) price, I think it very well may be a decent scope. Nikons are nice, I havent really looked into em though, I'm pretty darn set on the Mil-dot reticle. I live in Michigan and will be doing equal amounts of unknown distance training on paper as well as unknown distance squirrel, woodchuck and chipmunk. I do intend on the rare predator hunt and am limited to rimfire and shotgun due to the zone laws Michigan has. Will 14x be a decent magnification for 200 meter paper work? Any other sub 200$ suggestions? How about scope rings too?? Thanks again guys.

Last edited by CommonSense; September 2, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old September 2, 2012, 03:35 PM   #9
CommonSense

Hey SSA, I just looked into your suggestion on the Bushnell Elite 3200 and now I'm torn between the Mueller APT and that. Ha! Good problems to say the least