The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 2, 2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Pointshoot

Pro Ears versus other electronic ear muffs

Hi guys. I own several Pro Ears electronic ear muffs (and a couple of their passive ear muffs). I use them when hunting, target shooting, and for use in a potential self defense situation. I like just about everything about the product - - except the high price !
For others that own Pro Ears electronic ear muffs - - - have you found another high quality product at a lower price ? (By 'quality' I mean something durable that will do the job of protecting your hearing.) I like the Pro Ears sound quality when hunting - - but have you found other products which work well - perhaps in other types of situations ?
I'd like to hear from everyone (pardon the pun) - - but particularly from those that have experience with Pro Ears and also other brands of electronic muffs which they have compared in actual use. Thank you - -

P.S. - - I searched this topic, and wanted to get up to date info from those that own Pro Ears electronic muffs.
Old September 2, 2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Creeper

You don't state the specific model of Pro Ear... so I don't know what you mean by "expensive".

I currently use Peltor TacSport muffs, which run around $110 give or take. Pro Ear makes muffs in that price range... and substantially more.
I've used the Pro Ear Tekt 300 model, which are a little under $200, and found those to have a small "sound quality" advantage over less costly muffs.

C
Old September 2, 2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Pointshoot

I meant the Pro Ears gold series. They run about $289.
Old September 3, 2012, 04:45 PM   #4
johnbt

I can't help, the only electronic muffs I've ever owned are my Pro Tac Mag Golds that run on cr123s. In addition to the sound handling capability, I really like the fact that when the volume is turned off they're still 33db passive muffs.
Old September 3, 2012, 11:42 PM   #5
Pointshoot

Thanks anyway John. I also have a pair of the Mag Gold 33db electronic muffs. I like them for handgun use.

I ordered a pair of the Pro Ears Gold Slim Tactical 28dB electronic muffs on Labor Day special today. I find that the Mag muffs interfere with mounting to shoulder with some rifles & shotguns. I think this new pair should take care of that. I lose a little sound protection in order to reduce the bulk, but that shouldnt be a factor with the long gun barrels versus the shorter barrel handguns. Regards
Old September 15, 2012, 10:12 AM   #6
dmazur

Just a thought on electronic muffs -

For me, even the cheaper ($100) Pro Ears work well when doubled up with foam plugs. The amplification is just enough to hear range commands through the 32dB ear plugs (when there isn't any shooting occurring...)

And they are small enough to not interfere with cheek weld.