The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 11, 2011, 12:59 PM   #1
jclayto

CVA Kentucky Pistol

I have a CVA Kentucky kit pistol arriving today - percussion. It will probably be over the summer before I get around to actually building this thing, but does anyone have any tips or tricks once I get it built?

1. .440 round ball ok?

2. What size patch works best?

3. I will use Pyrodex P, what is a good min/max load range for this gun?

Looking forward to trying this out one day. I have a pietta revolver that I enjoy so this should be a blast.
Old April 11, 2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Shotput79

.45 Cal Single Shot Pistol

Sounds like you don't have time to work on the pistol
when it get's to you. I don't know if what I say will help you or not , but 440 is .45 Cal. I just made some today for the first time, but that's for another thread. Look pistol up online, keep all parts in there right order. Check to see what fits, and what needs to be fitted. From everyone I've talked to, has told me they don't just go together. 1, 2, 3. When I'm not messing with my black powder rifles, and revolvers. I use to build model Semi Truck's. I have a love for those big rigs. I look for the real trucks, then take pictures. It take's sometime 2 months, to a full year to build one tractor, then post them on the internet, and take them to model shows. One of them did end up, in a model magazine. That made my day. I don't know why I told you all this. If for know other reason. you have to be commited, put everything out of your way, can't get mad, and throw things, up and down. Take your time with it. You will have something that's a part of you, when your finished. People may have one of them. They'll not be another like yours.

45 Cal Single Shot Pistol 8" Barrel 1-30" Twist.

Pyrodex P FFF

.440 RD Ball.

Ox-yoke .010". Believe Dixie, or Cabela's brand will save you money, they come 100 per pack, Pre Lubed.
At the same time you could use patch rd ball, like loading a rd ball in a rifle. Look them up, you'll find the right size listed. Dixie or Cabela's.

Starting load.
20gr M/V 756 fps. M/E 162 ft/lbs @25 yrds 718 fps, 146 ft/lbs.

25gr M/V 930 fps. M/E 246 ft/lbs @25 yrds 872 fps, 216 ft/lbs.

MAX LOAD.
30gr M/V 1003 fps. M/E 286 ft/lbs @25 yrds 930 fps, 246 ft/lbs.

They do have a 200gr Buffalo ball-et listed, but they don't make those any more. I'm sure there are sabot out there for the .45 Cal rifles, that can be used. you might want to check those out. You could hunt small game with it, or just keep it simple, and out shoot everyone a the range.

I started using a bullet mold today, and the first 3 came out looking like crap, after that, the next 25 rd balls came out looking better than the ones I buy at the store. that's my new hobby. Only thing is the rd balls are .440s, I need .454, for .44 cal revolvers, and .457s for my walker. I need molds for .50 rd ball, and Lyman maxi bullets for hawken rifle. Hack, all I'll have to go to the store for is powder and caps.

I'm sure they keep the Max at 30grs, cause the inletting for the lock work can split if over loaded.

Hope this helps you out and, all the best in your new build, and a life time of fun shooting. I'll be rooten for you.

The load data came from, Lyman Black Powder Handbook & Loading Manual. 2nd Edition. By Sam Fadala.

Last edited by Shotput79; April 11, 2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Add Infomation
Old April 11, 2011, 09:01 PM   #3
jclayto

I'll have my life back come May 2nd I had this really stupid idea to earn my masters degree in the evening with a full time job, a wife, a house and a side business! This will be a little present to myself.

The manual came included but did not mention load data, suggestions anyone?

I was expecting to have a to do a good bit of inletting around the lock and barrel channel, but it actually looks like it's going to be a real nice fit without much work.

Thank you for taking time to respond, I will definitely build it start to finish when I start.
Old April 11, 2011, 10:25 PM   #4
RwBeV

The first ML I owned was a CVA kit way back before Disco:barf:. I used a .440 RB and a pillow ticking patch lubed with just a little soap and water, I think I shot about 30grs. FFFg, I think that 35 or 40grs. are the max load on those guns. I found it was a bit easier to control with a little less powder, but it shot really well, I won lots of match's with it.

Bob
Old April 12, 2011, 12:22 AM   #5
arcticap

I think that a .440 ball will shoot well with a lubed .015 patch. That may be a little more difficult of a combination to get started at the muzzle but not prohibitively so. A loading stand to keep the pistol upright during loading would be helpful no matter which ball & patch is chosen.
And I believe that even more than 50 grains of powder would be safe to load in it but most folks probably wouldn't want or need to. That is unless someone wanted to use it for hunting.
Old April 12, 2011, 06:42 AM   #6
jclayto

Thank you for the info! Glad to hear that I might be able to load this one up a little more than my Pietta. I won't run more than 20 grains or so in the brass frame Pietta because I don't want to risk damaging the frame. It shoots well but sometimes I would like a little more 'umph.

I am going to go ahead and order up a .440 mold since that seems to be the consensus. Will let you know how she shoots one day.