The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 6, 2021, 07:22 PM   #1
TXAZ

Recommend a Suppressor for a 300 BO pistol

My 7” .300 Blackout Daniel Defense pistol arrives within the week.
I want to run it subsonic, with as quiet report as possible.

If you have experience with a suppressed pistol, I’d appreciate your recommendation on a can and any particular ammo for as quiet report as possible.
Thanks!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 6, 2021, 07:49 PM   #2
Txhillbilly

Just about any good name 30 caliber can will serve you well.
Old July 6, 2021, 10:08 PM   #3
Sharkbite

Ive run 2 different cans on my 9” SBR and a Rem 700AAC gun

First was an AAC 762sdn6. Super quiet setup, but that can was too long and heavy for my liking on a short fast rifle.

I now run a Gemtech GMT300blk on that rifle. Its not nearly as quiet, but I cant even tell its hanging off the end of the barrel. It is quiet enough to take the edge off Supers and sounds like the bolt cycling with subs

Understand that in order to get an AR to run there must be enough gas to function. You will never get ultra quiet with a gas operated gun. I have loads for my 300blk bolt gun that are silly quiet. Those loads dont begin to cycle my AR. Same bullet weight, same velocity…different powder, much quieter.

Everything is a trade off.
Old July 7, 2021, 09:36 AM   #4
raimius

I have experience with the SIG can. It's pretty good. Waiting to see how the Dead Air can works.
I hear good things about the OSS flow through designs.
Old July 7, 2021, 11:22 AM   #5
Crankylove

We’ve got a few Harvester 300’s in my family, father in law is a Dead Air on his 300BO, they all work well. Makes for great plinkers around camp with subsonics.

One of my brothers uses a Bowers VERS .458 on his 300BO. Works well, just not quite as quiet as the .30 cal cans, and is a bit larger in size/weight.

I don’t have a 300 BO, but use a Harvester 300 on .270 Win, .223, and .22 Hornet (waiting on barrel threading for .30-30, and .243 Win use).

Bowers makes good stuff, although a little more pricey than some of the other brands. Have a .458, and .475 can in the family, and I’ve got a Dreadnaught waiting in ATF jail right now.

I’ve been happy with my Harvester, but went with Bowers for my big bores (.338 Fed, .358 Win, .375 H&H) since SilencerCo doesn’t make a can that will stand up to my .375 H&H.
Old July 9, 2021, 07:14 PM   #6
Double K

Silencerco makes good suppressors, the designer quit and started his own company Dead Air, the Silencerco Omega 300 is the one you want. I have a Harvestor as well, to big for a pistol it's designed for hunting rifles.
There are many video's on youtube where they use decibel meters and compare the reports, Silencerco models either tie or beat nearly every other manufacturer. As a plus they're usually cheaper as well. Griffin armament makes one that's on par with the Omega, other than that it's Silencerco all the way for me, I have 6 of them.
Best bang for the buck.
https://www.silencershop.com/silence...t-recce-7.html

Good suppressors
https://www.silencershop.com/silencerco-omega-300.html
Old July 10, 2021, 10:50 AM   #7
taylorce1

I'd buy a suppressor that is versatile that works on the largest variety of cartridges. When I bought my first suppressor I went with the Omega 300, full auto rated and can handle .300 Win Mag pressures. I might buy some less expensive suppressors from Witt Machine to dedicate to a couple of my AR-15's, but if this is your first go for a something that will cover more applications. I have a 7.5" .300 BO pistol and the Omega works great on it.
Old July 10, 2021, 04:33 PM   #8
dogtown tom

Quote:
Double K
There are many video's on youtube where they use decibel meters and compare the reports....
Take those videos with a grain of salt....or half a grain.
If the tests is run with anything other than a B&K 2209, Pulse or Impulse then it doesn't meet MILSTD.

Cell phone sound meter apps and consumer grade sound meters are fine for measuring continuous noise levels like a jet engine or rock concert, but aren't capable of measuring to the MILSTD standards.

Pew Science https://pewscience.com is where you want to read about accurate testing of silencers.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 10, 2021, 09:33 PM   #9
Houndog

Have recently been on something of a suppressor buying spree, so I've been trying to do a fair amount of research.

Your choice will ultimately depend on budget, intended use and priorities.

Although none of the suppressor's I've bought have cleared the ATF yet, based on my research I have a couple of suggestions.

For around $500 you can pick up a Yankee Hill Resonator. Seem to get very good reviews and it's tough to beat that price.

I've recently bought a couple of Dead Air suppressors. If you want something that can handle full auto and is built like a tank, take a look at the Dead Air Sandman S. Another option is the Dead Air Nomad, which might be a really good fit for 300 BO, particularly if you don't plan on doing repeated mag dumps. You might even take a look at the Nomad Ti. Really good sound suppression and ridiculously light. Might be the perfect fit for a very short 300 BO, where presumably you want to keep the gun as light and maneuverable as possible. Of course there's a trade off for that light weight. They're more expensive. And you really can' do repeated mag dumps. The company recommends that you wait at least three minutes after changing magazines before you commence firing again.

Of course, there are a bunch of other alternatives as well - Surefire, OSS, SilencerCo, Rugged Radian, etc.
Old July 10, 2021, 10:20 PM   #10
Double K

I shoot a 22lr tournament every monthwhere there's lots of suppressors in use, I've compared my Silencerco Spectre 2 to many of them, it's quieter than any of them and has no first round pop.
I also have a Warlock 22, it does have a slight first round pop but is super quiet after that, it's 3.0 oz, perfect for 22 pistols.
Another thing to consider is having a brake on the end, love them, they reduce the recoil down to almost nothing, on the Omega I have both the standard solid end cap and the brake.
Old July 11, 2021, 02:43 PM   #11
Double K

Dogtown tom, that is undoubtly more accurate but the results seem ambiguous to me not having a degree in acoustics, at least on youtube you get to hear the report of the guns yourself although thats undoubtly subjective to degrees of hearing loss by an individual.
I've noticed with 22 suppressors even though the db is very close the tone can be very different from one suppressor compared to another, higher pitched reports can be heard from farther away.
The science of suppressors is more complicated than it would seem.
Old July 11, 2021, 05:36 PM   #12
dogtown tom

Quote:
Double K Dogtown tom, that is undoubtly more accurate but the results seem ambiguous to me not having a degree in acoustics, at least on youtube you get to hear the report of the guns yourself although thats undoubtly subjective to degrees of hearing loss by an individual.
Give me a cellphone and a sound meter app and I can make a video of a .50bmg without silencer sound no louder than a .22 LR.

Its not just the limitations of the sound meter used, but in the case of Youtube videos the limitations of the video camera or cellphone being used.

Quote:
I've noticed with 22 suppressors even though the db is very close the tone can be very different from one suppressor compared to another, higher pitched reports can be heard from farther away.
True, tone may even be affected by the muzzle device used to attach the silencer, humidity, altitude, temperature, wind conditions and type of firearm.

Where the measurement is taken is important as well: at the ear, muzzle or a specified distance downrange. One very quiet at the ear may not be as quiet as others at the muzzle or downrange.

Quote:
The science of suppressors is more complicated than it would seem.
True. Thats why I linked to Pew. He's an expert on measuring sound, not some guy looking for likes on a video he made with his iPhone.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 11, 2021, 09:36 PM   #13
Double K

I like the video's particularly the ones from this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL2Q2DIX76o

Here's another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzpb1UTWOAI

And another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWiHk_AuOLk

Last edited by Double K; July 11, 2021 at 09:46 PM.
Old August 3, 2021, 11:42 AM   #14
MarkA

I've run a Hybrid .46, Omega 9K and Omega 300 on my 8" .300 blk. This was all in front of subsonic handloads; 220gr pills under 1000 fps. To my ears, they were all about the same. Haven't had the pistol for very long so timing and gas system adjustments might have an effect. Not sure; haven't tried. I'd give the nod to the 9K just for size advantage, even with the tri-lug adapter.