The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 18, 2021, 08:11 PM   #1
Grouser1865

Old school blue and walnut o/u?

Just an old salt looking for a traditional deep blued and walnut, small gauge over under for upland birds. I am relying on my 1928 VH which should tell you the era that I come from. I’d like a small gauge o/u but will not buy the finish or horrible machine engraving that B and B offer as standard on their field guns. The closest I’ve found is the current Winchester 101 but it is available only in 12 gauge. If it were available in a 20 or 28 it would be perfectly fine. I’m not averse to spending money but it would need to be a manufacturer with a strong presence in the USA for parts and service. I’m asking her because I’d prefer not to go swim in the used swamp if I can avoid it. If it must be used, there are plenty of options (Superposed, Charles Daly, Beretta BL…, blued Red Label, original 101,…) but I’d like to first ask if I am unaware of any new models.
Thanks everyone,
Ed
Old December 18, 2021, 08:29 PM   #2
HKFanNC

Old school blue and walnut o/u?

I own a CZ, 20ga, OU.

It’s Made in Turkey but supported by CZ. I got my model, which I don’t remember, for just under $1K OTD.

EDIT: It was the Wingshooter Elite

As for support…my neighbor bought the same gun 2 weeks before I did. He got it home and while showing it to me, we noticed a small flaw in the bluing. He contact CZ customer support, got a RMA, sent it in and got a new gun within 10 days.

That impressed me enough to buy my own CZ.

Hope that helps you in some way. Good Luck in your search!!

Steve

Last edited by HKFanNC; December 18, 2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old December 18, 2021, 09:44 PM   #3
JasoninSD

Grouser,

I'm like you, I like the classics too. My favorite pheasant gun is a 1910 LC Smith in 16. But last year I bought a Franchi Instinct SL in 16 and it serves well on the days I don't want to take the LC. It has an aluminum receiver but if you want blue steel, they have the Instinct L version.

If you are looking for an older gun, they can often be had in decent shape. The Weatherby Orion is a good option as well as the SKBs and the Charles Daly or Brownings. The Winchester 101 is nice but they are generally on the heavy side.

Jason
Old December 20, 2021, 07:10 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

Just as one guy says on another board.
"Life is too short to hunt with a ugly gun."
Better wood and great bluing go a long way
to making a hunt enjoyable.
Old December 20, 2021, 08:07 PM   #5
hammie

@Grouser: I know this is a stupid question, but who is "B and B" (whom you abhor)?

Second: What is your budget? How much are you willing to spend?
Old December 21, 2021, 10:08 AM   #6
stinkeypete

If I had $4,000 that I could justify spending on a shotgun, the Fabarms Autumn would be high (very high) on my list.
Old December 21, 2021, 10:15 AM   #7
Ricklin

Beretta and Browning are B and B in shotgun circles.

Darn few serious clay shooters dislike both.
Old December 21, 2021, 11:05 AM   #8
bamaranger

Ruger

Didn't Ruger make blued versions of the Red Label? I think the Rugers are plain sided, some of them anyhow. I've heard complaints on the Red Label from high volume clay bird shooters, but I'd think one would hold up just fine as a bird gun.
Old December 21, 2021, 03:14 PM   #9
FITASC

A lot depends on your budget; CSMC makes a very nice O/U, but it is a tad pricey. Both Browning and Beretta make versions that are plain with minimal engraving. Personally, I had a Ruger in 28; I wouldn't touch one of those at all; there is NO support from Ruger for them and frankly, the quality sucks.
B Rizzini makes some some round body O/Us as does Ceasar Guerini - both have excellent support here in the US
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 22, 2021, 11:41 AM   #10
bamaranger

surprise

With no personal experience on the Red Label I will thus moderate my previous endorsement. My pal that did stock work for years for clay bird shooters had made the comment regards durability and high round counts, but we both speculated that a Red Label would hold up with average field use. I have a couple of Ruger rifles that Ruger no longer supports and that has been a disappointment, I was not aware they had relegated their O/U to the same fate.

I've wanted a 20 ga Red Label since they first came out (and were less than $500).