The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 28, 2016, 03:08 PM   #26
breakthrough

what animals would lurk in woods that would pose a danger?
Old February 28, 2016, 04:58 PM   #27
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
what animals would lurk in woods that would pose a danger?
In general, animals become more dangerous when they are:

1. scared/surprised/cornered
2. injured
3. sick/rabid
4. perceiving you as a threat to their young
5. perceiving you as competition for food

People often consider larger animals like bears that could kill you in a hurry. Remember that "danger" includes any injury, especially when there is a risk of infection. Raccoons, badgers, even squirrels could be dangerous under some of the above circumstances. The bottom line is if you see a wild animal, no matter how cute, keep a safe distance and be vigilant.
Old February 28, 2016, 05:17 PM   #28
Hawg

Maybe not too likely but get too close to a wild sow with piglets and see what happens. She will run you down and rip you to shreds if she can.
Old February 28, 2016, 07:43 PM   #29
C7AR15

Pepper spray

A 40 oz. can of Pepper spray will save your butt. $40

Save the popguns for 2 legged villains.

Honest, I live in British Columbia - we can't carry handguns, so 12 gu. with slugs is standard bear medicine. But you do find in the news, articles where people have used bear spray effectively to deter an attack.
Old February 28, 2016, 07:47 PM   #30
breakthrough

what brands cans of bear spray would you recommend?
Old February 28, 2016, 08:11 PM   #31
Deaf Smith

C7,

It don't work that way. The studies on pepper spray .vs. guns, while showing more were detered by the spray, also showed only a small number of the bears detered by the spray were charging, yet virtually all the bears stopped by guns WERE charging.

So I'd still really on the gun IF you are a good shot with a steady hand.

Deaf
Old February 28, 2016, 08:14 PM   #32
P71pilot

The last thing I will use is bear spray. What if the wind is blowing, and just because the animals eyes are burning and nose is burning does not mean it will stop it. I would think the pepper spray would make it even more angry. Adrenaline especially that of a high willpower beast can completely block out pain or even non functional organs. A deer can run 200+ yards with a large hole in its heart. I wouldn't risk "burning" an animals eyes and nose as defense. I would much rather put a hole through the skull, you have to aim the gun or the spray, ID rather be sending a bullet down range than some peppery mist
Old February 28, 2016, 09:53 PM   #33
Mosin44az

The bear spray I carry is UDAP brand. Available at Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse I believe. Go to the UDAP website and read the testimonials. I suppose you can say they are all lying, but I say not likely. Being "hit" in the nose with spray is apparently a Really painful experience for a bear, they have so many sensors there...A number of the testimonials involved charging Grizzlies, and I am not aware of the study saying the spray only works on bears that are not charging.

And it's a strong spray, designed to go 20 feet. Into a strong headwind, maybe there are issues, but not otherwise. I would much rather go with spray than merely wound a big bear with a gun, and have it tear me to pieces in a rage.

P71, I suggest you read up more on spray, its effect on bears is much more powerful than you seem to think. Also, I am suggesting the spray for bears primarily. The pistol for everything else.

Last edited by Mosin44az; February 28, 2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old February 28, 2016, 10:43 PM   #34
Deaf Smith

And tell me, will this spray stop attacks on other people that are farther than 20 ft.? Like I said, the studies do not have very many charging bears stopped by the sprays. Yes, SOME were detered but most of the cases the bears were not charging all out (called bluff charging where they posture but not a full direct run at the ones being attacked.)

The sprays do have uses. If the bears are bluff charging or just close by and you want them to leave, then yes they are the best choice. But when an animal has decided to tear you, or others nearby, limb from limb, I suggest a powerful gun (preferably a rifle or shotgun.)

Deaf

Last edited by Deaf Smith; February 28, 2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old February 29, 2016, 12:20 AM   #35
C7AR15

Don't get cheap now.

from the original poster : I cannot afford a bigger more powerful handgun, and will not lug around a 7+ pound rifle 24/7 while hiking/camping

You have to bring enough gun. A used 12 Gu. for $300 is cheap insurance.

A long time contractor in Northern B.C. (out in the middle of nowhere) has Bear Spray, a 12 Gu. and a dog. The dog is tied up and used as an alarm system.

Being in Bear country, you are responsible for your own well being. Bring ALL the right tools.
Old February 29, 2016, 12:39 AM   #36
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
The last thing I will use is bear spray.
I think Deaf raises some valid concerns that should be taken into account, but just because a bear is seen does not mean it is attacking. Would you feel inclined to shoot a bear just because you saw one? In this case, it is worth noting that any shot that does not kill outright, could well encourage the very attack that one would hope to avoid.

It is also worth noting that all across the animal kingdom creatures have used their own "pepper sprays" of one sort or another to excellent affect and a bear's eyes and nose are its life, even more than its teeth. They do act to protect them.

So...it is a door that swings both ways.

All the same, if I were caught out, then I'd doubtless go for my gun, but if I have some warning (rustling in the brush), I'd draw both and probably spray first if initial contact was not enough to make a bear double back.
Old February 29, 2016, 03:26 AM   #37
Deaf Smith

I agree James.

If they are not actively attacking, sure use the spray to make them go away (and fear human contact), but if they are comming in to attack, it's deadly force time... And one had better be a good shot with a powerful gun, for its not the time for half measures or poor skills.

And this goes for any dangerous animals you might meet in the woods, not just bears.

Here in Texas, I might theoretically meet a black bear (about the same chance of seeing Big Foot), but hogs and coyotes are plentiful. Even the odd cougar is out there. Most dangerous are the mosquito and tick (and I'm not joking.) Next in danger is the various snakes.

If you guys want to hike way back here in Texas, many places with no trails and no law, go down to Sam Houston National Forrest. I hear there are dinosaurs and space aliens out there.

Deaf
Old February 29, 2016, 07:44 AM   #38
rodfac

Quote:
I cannot afford a bigger more powerful handgun, and will not lug around a 7+ pound rifle 24/7 while hiking/camping...You have to bring enough gun. A used 12 Gu. for $300 is cheap insurance.
Good practical post, C7AR, to this Walter Mitty type question. Handguns, in general, are a p...poor substitute for common sense and/or a good 12 ga. That's why Alaska State Troopers carry and use both. Their hand gun is a distant back up to the above.

Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 29, 2016, 09:55 AM   #39
P71pilot

Some posters may not realize that I will not be in big bear country , but small bear country. Tennessee, Kentucky, Pennsylvania. There is no reason to carry around a 12gauge. A shot or two to the face/skull of a black bear/ cougar should bring it down or stop it. I have seen on Alaska state troopers, an officer shot a caribou between the eyes with his carry .40, and dropped it. Now I know that a caribou skull and a black bear skull are much different and the angles would be different on a charging bear, but I am quite sure a hard, hot, heavy bullet from either a .40 or .45 could bust through what, 1/2"-1 1/2 inches of bone. I doubt I will ever get attacked, and I don't xamp very often, but more like once a year when I have my week of vacation from work. It's nice to get out of the city. I have been in spitting distance of 2 Mt. Lions and a cub, in the dark. I'd they wanted to kill me they could have easily, if it wasn't for my led light and throwing rocks they may have gotten me and I would not be here typing right now. I didn't have a weapon of any sort not even a knife, ever since then I have sworn to not enter the woods without a handgun. That was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me in my 22yrs of existence
Old February 29, 2016, 12:17 PM   #40
Toney

Sale one and get a 357mag
Old February 29, 2016, 01:41 PM   #41
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... I have been in spitting distance of 2 Mt. Lions and a cub, in the dark. I'd they wanted to kill me they could have easily, if it wasn't for my led light and throwing rocks they may have gotten me and I would not be here typing right now. I didn't have a weapon of any sort not even a knife, ever since then I have sworn to not enter the woods without a handgun. That was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me in my 22yrs of existence.
Mountain lions are definitely more dangerous than the critters I mentioned in my earlier post but this should serve as a wake-up call to the naysayers.

I once came face to face with a coyote under awkward circumstances. I had been target shooting with a big-bore handgun by myself in the woods. I had packed it up without a second thought and was walking back to my car. There is a little turn with a sort of embankment and I surprised a coyote. I had a "that's not a dog" moment and drew on him with my in-town EDC. I don't know how much was my own surprise or plain 'ol fear but my heart rate was definitely up. It probably felt like longer than it was but we both got lucky. It made a little noise as it broke eye contact and bounded up over the hill. I later realized that it might have learned to associate loud gunfire with hunting scraps and actually came towards the noise.
Old February 29, 2016, 02:40 PM   #42
breakthrough

would bear spray work on other animals like dogs, coyotes..I mean could it be carried in city parks and if a dog attacks you, how effective this would be?
Old February 29, 2016, 07:00 PM   #43
Deaf Smith

Like I said P7, your 1911, with heavier springs, can use .45 Supers (the case size is the same but pressures are about 3000 psi higher.)

230 gr at 1100 fps will lay low any black bears.

Deaf
Old February 29, 2016, 10:56 PM   #44
Buzzcook

Of the two a 1911 would be my coice because I think thet're fun to shoot.

But in real life my woods gun is a Ruger Mk II
Old March 1, 2016, 02:41 AM   #45
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I mean could it be carried in city parks and if a dog attacks you, how effective this would be?
I carry a small can of it when I'm walking my dogs.

With someone people's lack of adherence to the law by letting their dogs off-lead and being convinced that their bull-terrier can do no ill, I've come very close to using it....
Old March 2, 2016, 08:48 AM   #46
dannyb

Bear spray such as UDAP comes out in a stream, not a mist.

In cases of animal attack, the concern about capacity, 8 vs. 13 or 17 or whatever, are likely irrelevant because you are unlikely to get off more than a couple of shots if an animal is charging you. This is not a Monty Python situation where you see the charging bear, lion, or Lancelot running at you from miles away in slow motion.

The other problem is not how many shots you can take, but the time it takes to produce a fast-kill shot vs the time it takes for the animal to be on you. You should realize that the time in which you need to draw and ACCURATELY fire and hit a target the size of the X ring in a B27 target that is moving up and down and side to side is the time it takes a charging animal to traverse the average large living room.

For that reason, I carry bear spray (I use UDAP) in a holster when I'm woods walking - especially in spring. Bear spray comes in a hairspray sized can. The stream of capsaicin solution has a range between 20 - 30 feet depending on brand. Droplets of capsaicin from an undulating spray are more likely to land on an animal's nose and eyes than scoring with a bullet at the same range. Disrupting the sensory input the animal is using to target you is more likely to deter a charge than a miss with a bang. Perfect? No. But in my opinion the odds are better with the bear spray.
Old March 2, 2016, 09:24 AM   #47
drobs

Have you considered the AK47?
Poachers in Africa have no problem taking down any of the big five with them: Lion, Elephant, Cape buffalo, Leopard, and Rhinoceros.

A good old 30rd mag dump will usually drop them where they stand.

Worried about puny animals like Grizzly, Polar Bears, Mountain Lions, Cougars, Coydogs, and rabid Bobcats? - Do like they do in Africa - 30rd mag dump of 7.62x39.
Old March 2, 2016, 10:10 AM   #48
Ben Dover

Here in the northern Rockies, I carry a Glock 17 loaded with Federal 115 +P+ (9BPLE)

The only threat I'm concerned about walks on two legs.

Lotsa bears, coyotes and cats around, but I leave them alone and they leave me alone.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old March 2, 2016, 10:54 AM   #49
kraigwy

I spent 22 years in Alaska, if I was to go back it would be to hunt with some of my son (who's still there) or some other friends in which case I'll take a rifle. Probably my Pre-64 Model 70 in '06.

So I'll address cruising the woods here in Wyoming. Unless I'm hunting (which again would be with a rifle), I see no need to carry anything but my Smith 642 in my pocket like I carry everywhere else.

In reality the only thing I find in the woods, mountains, and prairies that could hurt me are rattlers. I've ran across several of them and had no problem dispatching the with my little 38s.

I often find my self wanting a cottontail or two for dinner while out and about and find the little J frame handles them quite well also.

When setting up camp, I drop the ruck and other gear. If I carried a heavy gun I'd drop it too probably, but my 38 is in my pocket so if I spot dinner its already handy.

As to a back up gun while hunting, I may have another rifle in camp just in case but if I need to back up my rifle, I'm gonna replace that rifle.

Yeah, I've had to dispatch wounded game in the past, the 642 works, had to put down horses, and it worked there too.

So basically I carry in the woods the same thing I carry everywhere else.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 2, 2016, 11:12 AM   #50
TimSr

Quote:
The biggest threat I could possibly run into would be a black bear. But the most likely attacker would be a hungry mountain lion or wild dogs, or humans I have personally seen multiple cougars here in Ohio and also Indiana where my dad lives, they are everywhere.
I don't think there has been a documented attack from any of these critters in Ohio in the last 100 years except for humans, which have done so quite frequently, so that is where I focus my attention.

Tags
animals , carry , defense , forest , woods