The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 26, 2014, 12:37 PM   #1
Sea Buck

Which Italian made BP revolver is the best?

I am going to get into BP shooting and have been reading the threads. I like the 51' Navy,the 60' Army, and the 58' Rem.Which manufacturer of these is the best. I really do not want one that I have to gun smith to get it to function safely.
Old May 26, 2014, 12:45 PM   #2
Trum4n1208

I've heard nothing but good things about Uberti, and Pietta is also apparently putting out some good stuff. If you're new into BP, look into the '58 Remington. Very sturdy and reliable.
Old May 26, 2014, 03:32 PM   #3
hartcreek

Man up

Watch Cabellas and wait for the Uberti Walker to come on sale if you can only have one.

The Walker is so heavy that 50 grains of FFF is just a gentle push and Uberti has reworked the loading lever retention spring so the lever stays in place with 50 grains.
Old May 26, 2014, 03:40 PM   #4
Trum4n1208

The Walker is fantastic. I started with one and loved it.
Old May 26, 2014, 04:09 PM   #5
Hawg

The Remington is the most user friendly for beginners but they're all good and not difficult to learn. I've had good luck with Pietta.
Old May 26, 2014, 05:03 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

IMHO

There is very little difference between Uberti and Pietta when considering their present products. I am a casual shooter. A purist or one who shoots a lot might declare convincingly that Uberti is worth the extra money.

I have not examined the Walker that Hartcreek is discussing and so I can't speak to his recommendation.

I have done pistol for pistol comparisons though and as regards a hundred dollars or so more value in the Uberti, I don't see it.
Old May 26, 2014, 07:16 PM   #7
deerslayer303

^^^^^^^Might want to listen to DOC, he has one of EVERY Manufacturer, model, authentic, non authentic, etc, etc. SO he might KNOW how the quality stands for each!!! I myself have had and own both pietta and uberti and I don't really see a difference. Not do I see the difference in the Taylors, Cimmeron's etc. Also made by Uberti etc. FOR said companies. But I'm still a greenhorn and my eye may not be as KEEN as some folks here. They WILL go bang and put a great big on your face.
Old May 27, 2014, 03:05 PM   #8
bushmaster65

My first was a Uberti Walker that eventually needed to have the cylinder gap opened a bit by a gunsmith. She is beautiful in her fit and finish though.
My subsequent pistols consist of uberti's, ASM, SM, and Pietta. IMHO, the older the pistol the more likely its fit and finish was wanting as mine fit that pattern. At this point, I don't think there really is much of a difference between the remaining two main manufacturers (Uberti,Pietta).
I do agree though that everyone should have at least one horse pistol (Walker/dragoon).
Either way, you're gonna have a blast.
Bush
Old May 28, 2014, 10:02 AM   #9
Sea Buck

Thanks for all the replies. Cabela's trip coming up I can see that. They have mosly Pietta products so I guess that's what I'll end up with, and the accessory kit. A further question would be the BP to use or can I go with the synthetics like 777 or Pyrodex ?
Old May 28, 2014, 10:08 AM   #10
dgerwin11

As a hunter of tin cans, I have no problem with Pyrodex P.
Old May 28, 2014, 01:19 PM   #11
bedbugbilly

I have both Piettas and Ubertis - both are excellent and all of mine are great shooters.

As far as models . . . is there anything besides a 1851 Navy?
Sorry . . . couldn't help it! :roll eyes:

I have had open tops (Colt clones) as well as Reingtons . . . both types are fine shooters. Lots of good models out there - take a look and see what strikes your fancy. I'm a wimp - I only shoot .36 cap and ball - and I favor the 1851 Navy - but . . . that's me . . . not you. I have a 1858 Remington in .36 and it is a great revolver - as Hawg stated - The Remington is a little bit more "user friendly" - especially for someone starting out. Easy cylinder removal, easy load, etc. and you don't have to worry about a wedged cylinder pin which can also give you a variance in cylinder gap.

I wouldn't really worry though - get what you like and go from there. It won't be your "only" C & B . . . there WILL be more as you develop the "addiction"!

Good luck and let us know what you end up with!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old May 28, 2014, 01:21 PM   #12
denster

You will be happy with Pietta. If you go the Colt clone route the Pietta arbor will be the right length, with a Uberti it will have to be lengthened. Stay away from the accessory kits they are a waste of money.
Old May 29, 2014, 04:06 AM   #13
Doc Hoy

Sea Buck

As regards powder, they all have their own qualities. Each has its devotees and each has its detractors. And, of course the devotees and detractors all have a convincing argument. With the low stock levels you may find yourself just buying what is available.

If you shoot a lot, you will decide upon which is the powder you like, or (like me) you will decide that your choice of three powders on the store shelf has a lot to do with the mood your are in.

I am a lousy shot, a haphazard handloader, use awful technique, don't shoot competition, and so any recommendation I would make would have no credibility.
Old May 30, 2014, 05:06 PM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
I am a lousy shot, a haphazard handloader, use awful technique, don't shoot competition, and so any recommendation I would make would have no credibility.
Quit bragging Doc.
Old May 30, 2014, 05:07 PM   #15
Doc Hoy

Sorry, Hawg....

Couldn't help it.

;o)