The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 10, 2010, 09:45 AM   #1
fhwiggins

CCW Permit

Can someone tell me how difficult it is to pass a concealed carry course. I am taking one here in Louisiana and was curious as to what to expect.
Old February 10, 2010, 02:07 PM   #2
AcridSaint

I don't know about LA, but it was not hard here. Watch a video, take a short "test" and shoot a few rounds COM at varying distances out to about 7 yards I think. Some places only require that you pass an NRA pistol course.

All that being said - if you plan to carry a gun then you should probably already be confident enough with it to not worry about passing the concealed carry course.

If you feel like you could use some more instruction, there are many weekend handgun courses out there that will turn you into a whole different shooter. Some of them will also qualify as your CCW course. This will set you back a few hundred dollars, but in the end I'd say that's worth it if it means that you can stay alive, keep your weapon and know when it's appropriate to use it.
Old February 10, 2010, 02:14 PM   #3
grubbylabs

For us in Idaho we only have to pass a back ground check which I think is a little week. I think there needs to be at least a law coarse so you know what is required and expected.
Old February 10, 2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Icopy1

In Ohio it's 6 hours in a classroom and 6 hours on the range. You shoot at various distances, reload and shoot again. If you've had much trigger time, it's a breeze. If you're a new shooter, then it's valuable training. Consider it handgun 101.

I would recommend bringing your primary carry piece and carry ammo. Plus, a backup weapn just in case and FMJ for both weapons.
Old February 10, 2010, 02:25 PM   #5
knight0334

Ya gotta take a course for a carry license? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? lol

I thought all you had to do is go down to the courthouse, fill out the application, smile at the camera, hand over $25, and walk out with license in hand... (note the sarcasm.. lol ..thats how it really is in PA)
Old February 10, 2010, 02:37 PM   #6
Stevie-Ray

The courses are a snap, and if like Michigan, are not telling you anything you don't already know if you are into guns at all. If you've never picked up a gun in your life, of course, they may open your eyes, especially the legal parts. We had to spend about 8 hours in class, an hour at the range, no specific course of fire. Very early on, when Michigan wasn't yet shall issue, we had to fire 60 rounds at a range. Not really sure where that came from, but that was the course. They can be rather enjoyable, or a big PITA, it really depends on the instructor.
Old February 10, 2010, 02:37 PM   #7
Cremon

Here in Georgia, you just have to pass a criminal background check that you pay for (total cost for the permit today in GA is $47 and takes about 6 weeks). I don't necessarily agree with that but I have no doubts about my own competency with a pistol.
Old February 10, 2010, 07:47 PM   #8
88KEYS

Permits

Most States require some type of training, at some point they should get the requirements similar so more permits will be valid in other States. Like a drivers license is valid in other States, more are now accepting out of State permits. I know some guys at my club have permits from the States that are recognized in the most places. They apply as a non resident and it cost a few hundred bucks but they can carry in the places they travel.

One of the few benefits of being a retired cop is HR-218; it was part of some of the steps taken after 911, to allow active and retired civilian Law Enforcement to carry nationwide with a few requirements. The law requires that you have a current certification from the Criminal Justice Academy, issued from the State of the person’s residence. Also police identification from the agency you retired from, indicating you are a retired cop.

The law has been tested by some anti gun locations, several people have been charged with carry law violations. Also there have been several shootings and charges we made for the carry violation, the ones I know about were justified. Including one in a shopping mall an Officer from another State saved many lives when a kid with an assault rifle opened fire. He held the kid off with a 3” 45 with one magazine in fact the final minutes his gun was empty. The local police arrived and the shooter was shot and killed by a SWAT Team.
Old February 10, 2010, 09:31 PM   #9
z28pwr

Every state is different. Here in Texas it was a 6 hour class with and both the written and the firing test were easy.
Old February 10, 2010, 10:12 PM   #10
sakeneko

Each state is different. In Nevada the course was six hours -- three to four in a classroom, then a couple of hours on the range qualifying with the guns listed on your permit. I found the written test easy, but I've always found written tests easy. The shooting test was quite easy as well, probably because it isn't a test of much beyond your ability to handle the gun safely and hit what you aimed at when at close range.
Old February 10, 2010, 10:13 PM   #11
CobraCommander

Quote:
and the firing test were easy.
I wholeheartedly agree, the live-fire portion of the TX CHL course is not difficult for anyone who is somewhat proficient (and is almost identical, minus the timed reload, to the minimum the state requires that law enforcement agencies administer to their employees.) That being said, three people in my class failed to qualify, so the student at least needs a passing familiarity with the weapon he intends to use.
Old February 11, 2010, 11:42 AM   #12
fhwiggins

Thanks everyone, I am very good with all of my guns. I was curious about the different jurisdictions and whether or not they tried to throw you some tricks or blind side you with something.
Old February 11, 2010, 01:38 PM   #13
Doyle

Here in FL, the state doesn't specify the level of proficiency training. Some courses are quite good and the students will leave truely educated. Then, there are the "gunshow" courses. The students sit through a lecture, take a test that any monkey could pass, and then shoot one round downrange. As long as that one round doesn't hit the instructor, you get your certificate and the state considers you "trained".

Last edited by Doyle; February 11, 2010 at 02:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old February 11, 2010, 02:01 PM   #14
DogoDon

I took my certification course last month here in Mecklenburg County, NC. It was a breeze. We had about 5 hours of class instruction and then had to shoot about 50 rounds at the range, at 7 yards. It was pretty darn easy. The class instruction included safe gun handling, but focused primarily on the laws having to do with concealed carry, and when use of deadly force may be legally justified.

DogoDon
Old February 11, 2010, 02:54 PM   #15
grubbylabs

Well it is almost that simple here in Idaho to Knight only we pay some 60 dollars and have to wait 90 days for a background check