The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 30, 2010, 01:28 AM   #1
XD Gunner

Shooting Close to Home (in more than one way)

A coworker's son was shot a few days ago at a Gasoline Station. A couple of "thugs" walked up and bothered him and his wife for money, which they didn't have, frustrated one of them shot at his chest, but hit him in the left arm twice.

At first they thought he was going to lose his arm, but the Doc's have gotten bloodflow back into it and it seems everything is going to be okay.

If I remember this correctly, his wife said that, after he refused to give them money, he turned away from them and started to get into his van, one of them yelled something after him and when he turned, he was shot twice.

I live in a pretty small college town, as far as college towns go, Rarely ever hear of stuff like this. Turns out the Station owners "didn't see anything" but they called 911 immediately after hearing shots fired. I am glad I can carry a protective item such as my XD, although I don't think it would have done much good in a scenario like that.

If handguns cause crimes, mine's defective.- Eric Shelton
Old January 30, 2010, 08:14 AM   #2
mega twin

If a couple of thugs walked up to me,I would already have had a hand on my gun,and I definitley would not have turned my back on them!
Old January 30, 2010, 08:31 AM   #3
MTT TL

Here is praying for a speedy recovery for your friend's son..

When they get the drop on you it is hard. The chances of you not getting shot drop precipitously. Usually you are left with a bunch of bad options.
Old January 30, 2010, 09:13 AM   #4
Dwight55

I have a practiced line for that scenario, . . . "Hold on, let me write you a check, I don't have any cash on me right now"

Everyone I know relates the word "check" to big bucks, . . . so the thought is it will give the thugs an anticipation reaction, . . . and it won't alarm them when I am reaching back toward my back pocket

Anyway that is the plan, . . . and of course the *.exe of that plan is to bring the 1911 out, . . . and .................................... their next move will make the .................... determination.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 30, 2010, 09:56 AM   #5
MTT TL

Quote:
Everyone I know relates the word "check" to big bucks
I am thinking a criminal might relate the word "check" to "NSF"
Old January 30, 2010, 10:22 AM   #6
DogoDon

Sorry to hear about that, XDG. I second the prayers of MTT_TL.

I also had an experience of personal connection with a shooting recently . . . only in my case it didn't turn out so good.

There was a paralegal in a company my law firm does work for, whom I had corresponded with now and then. She was a nice lady. Anyway, in December I had sent her an email about a document I needed from her, and I didn't get a response. I didn't think anything of it. Then about a week or so ago, I sent her a reminder.

I got a response from her boss. He said, "I'm afraid I have some bad news. On December 21, Cynthia was out on her morning run and she was shot and killed."

I was stunned. I couldn't believe it. A link to the story about it is here. The murderer's roommate has gone missing. Anybody care to guess what happened to him? So sad.

DogoDon
Old January 30, 2010, 07:48 PM   #7
Rescue2

Quote:
I was stunned. I couldn't believe it. A link to the story about it is here. The murderer's roommate has gone missing. Anybody care to guess what happened to him? So sad.

DogoDon
The roomate has most likely been found... But not breathing...

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ng0129-ON.html
Old January 30, 2010, 08:54 PM   #8
DogoDon

My fears confirmed. Thanks Rescue2. What a nut case that guy was. Very sad.

DogoDon
Old January 30, 2010, 08:58 PM   #9
dondavis3

As you can see it can and does happen anywhere and at any time.

That's why we carry.

Sorry to hear about your coworkers son .. I hope he recovers.
Old January 30, 2010, 09:27 PM   #10
XD Gunner

Quote:
That's why we carry
That's what I told him, although I don't think it sunk in, and I'm not sure it would have helped him all that much in this situation, from what I've gathered, they shot, then ran. Thoughts and prayers are all appreciated of course. I think he is going to be ok, but I fear no one learned anything from the encounter.

Old January 30, 2010, 10:43 PM   #11
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
If a couple of thugs walked up to me,I would already have had a hand on my gun,and I definitley would not have turned my back on them!
We'd all like to think that, but maybe there wasn't clear evidence that these 2 were indeed "thugs" until after the fact. "Can you spare a few bucks?" is a far cry from "Hey man, gimme your money!" I'm afraid I've had to turn my back on a few that I was at least uneasy about, but not doing so would have meant walking backward, facing them as I slowly got into my vehicle, pretty much letting them know they weren't to be trusted. Actually, I've done that too, but only after words were exchanged that implied threat. I'm as paranoid as the next guy about this stuff, but even I am not in condition red most of the time.
Old January 31, 2010, 07:37 AM   #12
N.H. Yankee

I would rather loose a few dollars than my life, most LEO's will tell you just give them the money. If I was armed and wasn't at a disadvantage I may drop my wallet making it look like a nervous accident to get the upper hand strategically. No one says they aren't going to shoot even after they get what they want, but in most cases they don't. Hopefully a full recovery will follow, but there will be scars both physically and mentally.
Old January 31, 2010, 11:17 PM   #13
XD Gunner

I'm reasonably sure that no one knew the thugs had a gun, until he refused to give them money, and the one then shot him. I'm not so sure it was "armed robbery".

Old February 1, 2010, 09:40 AM   #14
ClayInTx

Ambiguous information here:

...bother him and his wife for money, which they didn’t have...

...his wife said that, after he refused to give them money...

It makes a difference in which case is correct.
Old February 1, 2010, 04:16 PM   #15
markj

Neighbor down the road had some thieves stealing from him at night, amounted to hundreds of dollars. Finally the day came, he was able to shoot and kill a bunch of them and eat them. Oh they was deer stealing corn and alfalfa.