The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 19, 2017, 12:36 PM   #1
Trooper Joe

"New" S&W .32 long, 1950 era, revolver

Just picked up this nice made in 1950, Pre-Model 30, 5 screw "I" frame, .32 long.

Chambered in the .32 S&W long cartridge.

This is actually a "5 Screw" "I" frame revolver. What great workmanship.

Since I have been known to carry .32 cal auto loaders for my pocket gun, I may actually carry this with modern ammo (In addition to this Magtech hp ammo, I have some Buffalo Bore hard cast wc and swc ammo coming.)

This is an all steel frame weighing in at only 19.9 ounces loaded (17.9 oz empty), it will be actually fun to shoot. Yes, I am going to shoot this gun. The 100 year old .32 hand ejector (5th change) shown below will not be shot. In fact, I just sprang for the $75 letter from S&W for this gun.

Man I love these .32's. If I keep this up, I may actually look for a more modern .32 H&R Magnum or a .32 Federal Magnum revolver to keep these oldies company.

Trooper Joe
Old May 19, 2017, 03:40 PM   #2
Cosmodragoon

I've had a lifelong appreciation for .32 S&W Long. It has been accurate and fun to shoot in every revolver I've tried. I still see older guns in decent shape at very affordable prices at gun shows and in pawn shops. I don't see many of these Smith and Wessons though. Great find!

Being a little less loud than some of the modern center-fire cartridges, I kept a target revolver loaded with it in my desk drawer for years. Yeah, it isn't very powerful but it sure beats a .22! I got a good price on the Magtech 98 Grain Semi-Jacketed Hollow Points a few years ago so I stocked up. I wouldn't count on expansion but it seems a decent round for caliber without beating up on older guns.

The .32 H&R Magnum is a great little cartridge that never got the credit it deserved. (I hear some lackluster gun offerings hurt popularity back in the day too.) It generally achieves .38 special power levels and packs an extra shot in a lot of guns.

The .327 Federal Magnum carries this concept to its natural limit. Depending on barrel length, you can get between 9mm and .357 magnum power levels. The six-shot LCR is about the perfect pocket revolver in my opinion. It has also breathed a little life into the other two cartridges since you can load them in the modern guns. Michelle over at Gun Talk loves the .32 S&W Long in this role.

Last edited by Cosmodragoon; May 19, 2017 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling error...
Old May 19, 2017, 04:44 PM   #3
tallball

Nice one! I like 32's a lot. My I frame is over 100 years old and still shoots well. I would feel perfectly comfortable relying on 32 magnum for SD, and 32 long is way better than a 22. The main thing for me is that 32's are fun to shoot.
Old May 19, 2017, 05:15 PM   #4
Hanshi

I've owned several, a Colt Detective Special, a couple, at least, of S&W 4" barrel and one 2". I liked them but just never warmed up to them as I had hoped. So now I have a big can of primed .32 Long brass and nothing to shoot them in.
Old May 20, 2017, 02:59 AM   #5
TruthTellers

The Magtech .32 HP's won't expand from a handgun, but I've found it to be a very accurate load. Would be my top choice for defense if Buffalo Bore isn't available.
Old May 20, 2017, 10:02 AM   #6
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Just picked up this nice made in 1950, Pre-Model 30, 5 screw "I" frame, .32 long.
Wow! That piece is nothing short of spectacular!

Is the finish original? I can see no signs of a refinish.

Beautiful piece.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:24 AM   #7
J4Cub

Trooper Joe,

A very sharp pistol (my birth year) and excellent pictures. Thank you for sharing.
Old May 20, 2017, 01:03 PM   #8
smee78

Love your new addition, congrats on finding an excellent piece. I found a new appreciation for the 32s during the last 22 shortage and it is now my preferred plinker round. I would love to add a Ruger LCR 327 to the addition, maybe someday I will find one.
Old May 20, 2017, 02:20 PM   #9
Soclosenotnear

beautiful! one of my favorite calibers also.
Old May 20, 2017, 04:18 PM   #10
Trooper Joe

Original finish and appears to not have been fired (that is going to change).

Trooper Joe
Old May 21, 2017, 10:51 PM   #11
Cosmodragoon

The regulars here have heard it before but I'll share it again. When I was a younger man, I split a millipede in two with .32 S&W Long. It was an almost impossible shot and the little fella was hard to see against the old dirt road. It was a perfect hit. I turned the little squiggling dot into a small plume of earth. I walked over to see two equal halves wriggling, one on each side of the chip in the ground. I don't think I could have done that with any other gun in any other caliber, even when I was young enough to do it at all!
Old May 22, 2017, 05:37 AM   #12
CajunBass

That is a pretty little thing, ain't it?

My LGS has it's twin sister in the case. It's been there for at least a month I guess. Nobody seems the least bit interested in it the clerk tells me. He said it's waiting for me to take it home.

I keep telling myself..."It's a 32." Then the other side of my brain says.."So? It's not like you'd shoot it all that much, if you ever do."

I'm going to have to check the S/N. And "hope" it's not a 1952 model.

Thanks for weakening my resolve.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 22, 2017, 06:27 AM   #13
Siggy-06

That revolver is in really nice condition. Perfect size and weight for a CCW piece. I haven't come across any in .32 in my area.
Old May 22, 2017, 07:32 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

Very nice transitional I frame improved example.

A few years ago I happened on a very nice early 1970s Model 30-1 (IIRC).

I couldn't pass it up for slightly less than $300.

I've thought it would be very fund to get one of the S&W Model 631s... I don't much like stainless steel, but that's the only finish they chambered the .32 Mag in.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 22, 2017, 01:02 PM   #15
heyjoe

The Smith and Wesson 431 and 432 are aluminum alloy frame revolvers chambered in 32 H&R Magnum. The 331 and 331 are scandium framed revolvers chambered in 32 H&R magnum.