The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 18, 2011, 11:25 AM   #1
longfellow

Tackdriving Single Six project?

I'm bored with rolling around naked in my money so I thought I'd have a custom Ruger three screw SS rimfire built.
Here's my question, given that the convertable models will have a less-than-ideal groove diameter for the 22LR in order to accommodate the 22Mag, and given that the older fixed sight models that came in 22LR only would have good groove dimensions but non-adjustable sights;

Option 1; Get the adjustable sighted convertable and have a new barrel fitted. Good barrel, good sights. Done.

Option 2; Get the fixed sighted 22LR only model and have a set of Smith and Wesson or Bowen adjustable sights installed. Good (existing) barrel. Good sights. Done.

Ed
Old August 18, 2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Clifford L. Hughes

Longfellow:

I have a 1956 vintage Ruger Single Six that has an old Micro sight. With it I have killed many jack rabbits. I have never seen any use for a 22 mag in a 22 revoler.

Semper Fi.

Gunner sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retiree
Old August 18, 2011, 12:44 PM   #3
Scorch

I'm with the Gunnery Sergeant on this one, 22 Mag in handguns is a waste. My advice would be to get one with adjustable sights and install a good barrel. If you decide to get a 22LR model with the fixed sights, install a good barrel on that one too. You would be amazed at how much better a pistol will shoot when you put a good barrel on it.