The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 28, 2001, 12:20 AM   #1
PreserveFreedom

How much?

What's the going rate on a Mossberg 500? I am interested in the 18" barrel with the five round tube and factory pistol grips. It will be strictly home defense and not for hunting so I don't need the longer hunting barrel or stock.

Old June 28, 2001, 04:32 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Can't help you on the price, PF, but...

The 500 is a good weapon,maybe not as longlasting as the 870 but hard to wear out in one lifetime.

However, there's lots of old threads on why most "Serious" shotgunners pass on pistol grip only shotguns. A little research here may prove illuminating...
Old June 28, 2001, 04:38 AM   #3
PreserveFreedom

Well, it's not exactly for me. It's for my fiance. Since I converted her, she understands the overwhelming need for one to posess a firearm. She isn't, however, into recreational shooting. The plan is for her to not aim, but to point in the general direction of an intruder with a tube full of 00 Buck and blast the threat away. If I had to guess, she will probably shoot it about once per year. More if we have intruders. It will be more like an insurance policy that she can get around the house with in her hands.

Old June 28, 2001, 06:26 AM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Up to about 10 yards, the shot spread only reaches 12 inches or so. Still have to aim that puppy. Hooking her up with a 12 ga and pistol grips is a good way to keep her from practicing.

A 20 ga with pistol grips is sort of manageable, but still a bit much. Much better to get a 870 or M500 youth 20 ga SG and let her practice. If she has to, she can always tuck the butt under her arm.

Most of have tried (me three times - I'm slow) pistol grips on shotguns and have concluded that they are a major adverse training challenge. You can get proficient, but it takes three or four times the effort.

Giz
Old June 28, 2001, 06:27 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

PF, some common misconceptions about shotguns include one you just typed.

"Pointing in the general direction and blasting away"....

At typical HD ranges, the load hits as a semi solid mass. Spread is not a factor, and the shotgun MUST be AIMED to do the job.The big advantage to a shotgun for HD is not spread, but the incredible amount of energy it can dump into a target.

Measure the longest shot possible in your domicile, add a yard for GPs. Then, shoot at a stationary target at that distance. Bet ya the pattern's less than 5" across.

Next, for a complete tyro, the shotgun is the wrong choice. I found when instructing that the only folks moving past minimum competence (Load, unload, fire, make safe) were those folks that shot recreationally. IOW, a shotgun's an excellent close range defensive tool for those that LIKE shooting shotguns, and did so regularly.

A better choice for a female who will not practice as much as anyone should would be a 38 or 357 revolver, starting with light loads and working up to the hotter stuff later. And maybe a shotgun later also. Many women become fine shots, but it takes dedication and practice, practice, practice.

And,whatever you and she decide to do, a few lessons from a competent and qualified instructor are well worth the money and time. Many folks who shoot well have little idea of how to train someone, and oft have bad habits they pass on.

If you do decide to get the shotgun, start with light loads, and go for good form from the very start.

HTH....
Old June 28, 2001, 02:38 PM   #6
PreserveFreedom

I do plan on getting her a 38 as well, but not yet. Part of the problem is that she is only 20. She is also sitting behind me telling me about how bad she wants one. I have learned that when the woman wants a gun, you buy her one. If it doesn't work out, I'll be glad to take it off of her hands.

Old June 28, 2001, 03:14 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

OK, PF, get her whatever gun she wants.She'll feel more comfortable with a gun she picks. You might want her to read this thread before deciding. Your call...
Old June 28, 2001, 03:38 PM   #8
C.R.Sam

As usual, Dave is right on. I would like to throw in a couple of points from a slightly different angle.

In the house, bedroom etc.......the shotgun is about as cumbersome as a rifle...........and it must be aimed nearly as precisely as a rifle to be effective.

The advantages of a shotgun include less likely to kill the neighbors house and contents AND superior stopping power if the shot is correctly placed.

To be effective, one must practice with whatever weapon is chosen. If the weapon is enjoyable to shoot, one is more likely to practice. Recommend shooting before purchase.

Sam
Old June 29, 2001, 02:36 AM   #9
PreserveFreedom

The way I look at it, if she turns out not to like the gun, it will become part of my collection. Another reason for picking the Mossberg 500 is because I know that there are an ample number of spare parts and upgrades out there. Right now, she has no intention of killing any animals for the sport/hunt. However, if she decides she wants to go goose hunting a few years down the road, I can stick the dowel in the magazine tube to limit the capacity and acquire a 28" barrel that will screw right in. Also, if she gets to where she wants to shoot from the shoulder, I can always add a shoulder stock. A friend of mine has one and I think it came with both the long and short barrel as well as the stock and riot grips. If I found such a setup for a few dollars more than just the shotgun, I would definately get her that. I do promise to make her train with it. Up until several months ago, she was one of them that could care less about wether or not guns were banned. I have since showed her their importance and I promised her she can have any gun she wants. She isn't crazy about them like me, so in her lifetime, she will probably own one shotgun, one revolver, and one semi-auto pistol. Right now, she is using my single shot, break open 20 ga Savage with a cut down 18" barrel while I am at work. We just both want her to have more than one round. I do appreciate all of the concern for wether or not it is the right home defense gun for her. If it's not, we'll have to shop more. The main reason for our choosing the Mossberg 500 over the Remington 870 is that it's really the only pump action shotgun I have experience with. I currently own two shotguns. One is an antique bolt action Mossberg 20 ga and the other is the above mentioned Savage. I've handled my best friends Mossberg 500's (he has several) many times and They really feel like an extension of my arm. She has fired one of his as well and she loved it. I have thought about getting her a 20 ga to make it more manageable, but in case her needs expand later, I want the greater ammo versatility available from the 12 ga. Thank you all for all the suggestions so far. I'll let you know as things develop. It will be a little while before we scrape together the change to buy one anyway.