The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 4, 2021, 08:03 AM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

Gunbroker and "ghost bidders.."

Internet legend has it that a seller advertises a product on GB but nearing the end of the listing, it hasn't brought what he expected.

He can't simply cancel the listing. (Can he?)

So, he creates a false GB identity and raises the price. The listing runs out and he hasn't lost money on the actual sale of the gun.

But, he still pays a GB fee?

I'm only asking because I'm bidding on a particular gun and now that it's about to expire, a "NR" bidder raises the price to an unrealistic level. It might not be the seller. But it might be.

It just doesn't seem worth it. Unless he can claim the "winner" never followed through?
Old October 4, 2021, 09:30 AM   #2
kenny53

I would think either the seller or the sellers buddy could drive up the price. On the other hand I was selling some things on E bay and was every disappointed is the bids until the last twenty minutes and the offers soared. Auctions are a funny thing and people can get caught up in the bidding and end up paying more then the item is worth. Good luck in your bidding.
Old October 4, 2021, 10:41 AM   #3
ballardw

The general term is "shill" bidding. And Gunbroker has a policy about it:
https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-...icate-Accounts
Old October 4, 2021, 11:40 AM   #4
stinkeypete

Contact the seller. If that bidder is a troll and doesn’t pay, maybe the seller will accept your offer. While it’s good to be wary, it never hurts to talk to a seller on the telephone, voice to voice.
Old October 4, 2021, 06:34 PM   #5
Logs

Seller can end auction before it ends. Buyers can also back out pretty easy on GB so you have to be careful. I have had a few NR buy stuff with no issues, but I bet there are some trying to scam.

If you are a seller you don't want to have a 2nd account to bid because you will be charged fees and it takes about a month to get your funds back after filing for a non-paying bidder.
Old October 4, 2021, 07:55 PM   #6
ATN082268

It is pretty easy for someone's friend to drive up the price on an online auction and almost impossible to prove. If that friend somehow wins the auction, they just don't pay and the item is listed again.
Old October 5, 2021, 05:57 AM   #7
BornFighting88

Not that I have ever wanted to, nor do I ever plan to. But I don’t understand the ease of backing out of a GB bid. Every single time I place a bid on something, they make a fuss over the fact that it is a binding contract that you agree to pay if you win. Blah blah blah, won’t bore you with the knowns.

Care to explain??