The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Which would you choose?
S&W SD9VE 25 24.75%
Tristar T-100 13 12.87%
Sig Sauer P250c 63 62.38%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 17, 2013, 08:23 AM   #26
3.Shot.Group.

My choice for a 9mm would be the Beretta 92A1
Old October 17, 2013, 08:38 AM   #27
jimbob86

Quote:
My choice for a 9mm would be the Beretta 92A1
3.shot- Did you read the OP?

Quote:
I'm wanting a good, reliable gun, under $400, for concealed carry, and something that my wife would be more comfortable shooting/using for home defense/possible carrying herself.
A full sized double stack duty gun is nearly nobody's idea of a CCW.

Even with a compact gun, you have to dress around the gun.

Muumuus and clown pants are not the height of current fashion.
Old October 17, 2013, 10:40 AM   #28
Noreaster

The Smith model you are looking at is known for horrible trigger pull. The Sig is nice and you can get different calibers and frames. In your price range I would serious look at an SR9 Ruger and or Sig SP2022, these may be close if you find one on sale.
Old October 17, 2013, 11:12 AM   #29
Arrrmaty

To all suggesting a Ruger SR9 or SR9c:

I did consider this gun, I actually handled it a lot, but unfortunately I didn't get to shoot it. In all honesty though, I didn't really like it. It didn't feel right in my hand, and the slide and mag operations were not smooth to me. I liked the trigger on it, but like I said before- I have a S&W Sigma 40, that by most accounts is one of the worst triggers ever, and I don't mind the trigger on it because I'm used to it and I know how to shoot with it. Any trigger will most likely be an upgrade from my sigma. Also, I know it can be had for 400 if I look hard enough, but since I didn't really like it to begin with I didn't want to put forth too much effort to find it under 400. Nothing against the Ruger, it just wasn't right for me

Thank you jimbob86 and everyone else who actually read my OP and the rest of the thread before recommending a full size pistol or something too far from the 3 I narrowed it down to.

For those wondering what a Tristar is:
Tristar is an importer of Canik's. A lot of people are familiar with the c-100, which is a clone of the CZ75. The Tristar version is the c-100 also. The T-100 is Canik's Sharkc, which is basically the same as the c-100 with more streamlined/modern styling I guess. Since CZ's are harder to come by as I've found, and a little more expensive, and all the reviews i found for the caniks and tristars were good, I considered this option. I was able to handle this one too and it felt really good in hand and operations were smooth too.1 year warranty comes with tristars.
Old October 17, 2013, 10:26 PM   #30
3.Shot.Group.

Quote:
3.shot- Did you read the OP?
Sure did, and I would still go with the Beretta 92A1 over the 3 that the OP listed. I'd be buying it for me though.
Old October 17, 2013, 10:33 PM   #31
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrrmaty
Thank you jimbob86 and everyone else who actually read my OP and the rest of the thread before recommending a full size pistol or something too far from the 3 I narrowed it down to.

Unfortunately, too many people, when asked for opinions about guns for YOU, decide to answer with what is best for THEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.Shot.Group
Sure did, and I would still go with the Beretta 92A1 over the 3 that the OP listed. I'd be buying it for me though.
I rest my case.
Old October 17, 2013, 10:45 PM   #32
Justice06RR

I've fired a friend's SD9 a few times. Its a good pistol, but the trigger could still use a bit of refinement. Not really a downside if you're already used to it.

Since you already have a SD40, go with the used Sig250. Trigger is better and I believe its a tad smaller than the SD pistols
Old October 17, 2013, 11:07 PM   #33
3.Shot.Group.

Quote:
Unfortunately, too many people, when asked for opinions about guns for YOU, decide to answer with what is best for THEM.
Then I'll ignore your questions from now on, since you're so anal.
Old October 17, 2013, 11:17 PM   #34
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.Shot.Group
Then I'll ignore your questions from now on, since you're so anal.
Apparently I offended you, despite you admitting the very thing I commented about a few posts prior. I used your quote because it encapsulated it most clearly.

I will say, though, that it happens fairly often in a lot of the "best gun under $500" threads. People will then comment based on guns that fit their own needs (I plead guilty myself). Which makes the OP's question different: he limited his list to 3 he liked, and then asked for suggestions between those three. Ignoring that request seems awfully rude, suggesting that the homework that the OP did to narrow his list was somehow "not good enough." We should be ENCOURAGING these threads, and honoring their decisions, instead of ignoring the work that has apparently gone on behind the scenes.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Again, not trying to offend you, just something I think we should be cognizant of as forum members to make the forum better.
Old October 18, 2013, 09:00 AM   #35
Arrrmaty

Final Decision

And the winner is:

Sig Sauer P250c

I am going to buy the used one because it's in great condition and it still looks brand new, maybe only a couple hundred rounds through it, plus it comes with 2 extra mags which will save me about $80. I decided on the Sig for several reasons (in no particular order)- it feels great in my hand, the trigger pull is smooth, it looks awesome, ultimate modularity, good price, and my wife likes the way it looks and feels.

Thank you all for your input and advice. I'll pick it up today, so I'll post pictures after I get it. And if anyone wants to see the original list of guns I started from I can post that too.
Old October 18, 2013, 10:27 AM   #36
3.Shot.Group.

Quote:
Apparently I offended you, despite you admitting the very thing I commented about a few posts prior. I used your quote because it encapsulated it most clearly.
No, Im not easily offended.

Anyway,

I was trying to point out that since he's buying a gun for his wife, maybe it would be best for him to let her decide which gun she likes best, being that there is a tendency for people to choose what they would want as opposed to what someone else thinks they would like.

I just hope the OP doesn't pic and choose his wife's clothes for her to.
Old October 18, 2013, 12:39 PM   #37
915A

All that matters in the end is you got what works best for you and your happy with it. You will always get outside suggestions in a " which one" poll. I am guilty as well. But in the end it's your choice and what works best for you. Congrats on the 250, I've considered one as well simply because its cost effective and the modularity of it is kinda cool. Cant wait to see pics.
Old October 18, 2013, 01:50 PM   #38
dave9969

It dont hurt that the Sig will likely retain its value for generations as they are known and respected maker of firearms for centuries. Not a bad idea to consider if you are going to keep it around. Your kids may well be thanking you in 30 or 40 years
Old October 18, 2013, 02:01 PM   #39
Uncle Malice

Quote:
respected maker of firearms for centuries
Not quite... but yes, Sig is well respected.

They were first introduced to the US in the early 80's, but originally started out in the late 1800's as a wagon company that decided to try to make a muzzle-loading rifle for the Swiss military. They didn't really start growing until the mid 1900's after the P210 was adopted by the Swiss in 1949. Even then, it was really only the development of the P220 in 1975 that got them started on their current successful path.
Old October 18, 2013, 02:19 PM   #40
papershoot

Deciding between three 9mm

I am very high on Canik's CZ75 type pistols. Very good single action factory triggers. No problems with ammo or failures to feed. If you ever decide you want to change the sights on a T-100, there are very few choices. The C-100 will take sights made for CZ's, with some minor adjustments, the T series won't. The sights on the Tristars do not suit me very well so I upgraded to Meprolights night sights made for CZ compacts, on my C-100.
The Tristar should conceal as well as the other pistols you are considering. I like the all metal feel verses the poly guns. I am far more accurate with my C-100 than I am with my S&W Sigma SD40VE. The Canik pistols are not very well known, so you won't get a lot of people recommending them. Being made in Turkey does not help the sales. I feel that the quality is excellent. You will be hard pressed to find a bad review on them. Lots of good info about them on original CZ forum/clone club. Some people there say the triggers are better than CZs. The Caniks have a safety instead of a decocker. The safety will be stiff, but gets better over time.
Old October 18, 2013, 10:08 PM   #41
jimbob86

Papershoot, can the Tristar be carried C&L, like the CZ75B?
Old October 20, 2013, 10:24 AM   #42
Impreza

Slightly used glock 19 ftw..Is the ruger sr as bulky as the p89?
Old October 20, 2013, 10:26 AM   #43
jimbob86

Quote:
Is the ruger sr as bulky as the p89?
No .... the grip, especially, is smaller.
Old October 20, 2013, 06:17 PM   #44
dave9969

Not quite... but yes, Sig is well respected.

They were first introduced to the US in the early 80's, but originally started out in the late 1800's as a wagon company that decided to try to make a muzzle-loading rifle for the Swiss military. They didn't really start growing until the mid 1900's after the P210 was adopted by the Swiss in 1949. Even then, it was really only the development of the P220 in 1975 that got them started on their current successful path

2013- 1850-99=163 +/- 50 years

pick many nits?
lol
get the sid
enjoy all the toys that they make for it
Old October 20, 2013, 09:12 PM   #45
Gruney

Sig is the pick of this litter

If the compact is too thick you can go with the subc which is thinner. There is the original frame with no rail, and an updated frame with a rail.

I think the other two are too big to CC. I would rather have a DA/SA with a hammer. I got a brand new Bersa 9 UC for $400 and it is a nice pistol. I would also love to get a CZ 75 RAMI but don't really need one. I really like a hammer on my pistols.
Old October 21, 2013, 07:37 AM   #46
Arrrmaty

Here is a picture as promised. I have mroe pictures, but I think something is wrong with the files, because they won't load.

Oh, and it has night sights, which I didn't realize before, so that's pretty sweet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5323.jpg (251.3 KB, 42 views)
Old October 21, 2013, 03:26 PM   #47
Uncle Malice

Quote:
163 +/- 50 years
They haven't been a 'well respected' maker for that long. 30 years ago, almost no one knew what a Sig Sauer was. That's my only point. I'm a huge Sig fan boy, just trying not to spread misinformation is all.
Old October 23, 2013, 04:20 AM   #48
papershoot

Cocked & Locked

jimbob86,

Yes, they can be carried cocked and locked. The CZ75 models mostly have a decocker, but all the Canik CZ clone models I have looked into, have a DA/SA action with a safety on the frame. Personally, I am more comfortable with the hammer down.
Old October 23, 2013, 06:02 AM   #49
Pilot

Quote:
The CZ75 models mostly have a decocker
Actually, by far, most CZ's have a frame mounted manual safety. The 75B which is their flagship, plus the SP-01 line are mostly manual safety. The newer models like the P-07, and P-09 can be configured either way by the end user.

Tags
9mm , s&w , sig sauer , tristar