The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2016, 02:54 PM   #1
mrdaputer

loading data e-xtreme bullets Hodgdon tightgroup

I am using 9mm 124grain rn extreme bullets using Hodgdon tightgroup. I go the Hodgdon reloading data center and all it gives me is for Berry's Bullets HBRN TP. It suggests 3.6 to 4.1. I don't believe extreme uses a hollow base. Is it safe to use that loading data? Where is a good place to get the info I need?
Old April 17, 2016, 03:00 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

If two bullets are identical except for the hollow base, as is the case with 38 cal 148 grain hollow base and bevel base wadcutters, and are loaded to the same COL (flush with the case mouth for the wadcutters) it makes no difference in powder space. The density of lead is the same, so if you remove some from the center of the base and put it on the outside of the base, you have simply moved it around, but not changed the amount of space.

If you use different nose shapes or COL's or bullets of different materials, then all bets are off.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 17, 2016, 03:12 PM   #3
mrdaputer

cool makes sense it is the same COL and nose shapes. Thank you for your input I just learned something new today.
Old April 17, 2016, 04:08 PM   #4
ka9fax

Hi, can you please explain Unclenick. If i have a Berry's 200g SWC or a Berry's 200g FP or RN, why will just changing the shape change the powder charge if its still same weight, and still a CP bullet.