The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 1, 2013, 10:24 PM   #1
tmorone

Illinois gun ban/confiscation

Someone just forwarded me something I hadn't seen on here before. Thought I would share it with you guys and get your thoughts.

http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/01/...-distract.html

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...dern-firearms/

Basically, the two articles say:

Senate President John Cullerton is planning to try and push a bill through the state legislature that would ban and confiscate ANYTHING semi-auto as well as pump action firearms/shotguns, lever guns even.

Obviously this law is a slap in the face to the 2A and the courts- but whoa. Big step. Anyone think it's remotely possible considering lots of IL is pro-gun if you don't count Chicagoland?
Old January 1, 2013, 10:27 PM   #2
Xfire68

Will never happen!
Old January 1, 2013, 10:36 PM   #3
XtremeRevolution

I'm not buying it. A total gin ban of any kind? After the 7th district court ruling even the concealed carry ban unconstitutional? Not gonna happen.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 1, 2013, 10:37 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
A total gin ban of any kind?
No, that was repealed in 1933.

I'm a little confused here. Didn't the Supreme Court rule that these weapons were protected from bans in 2008? Lemme check...yep. Yep, they did.

They also ruled Chicago's ban unconstitutional the very next year.

So, why try doing this? Oh, right: feel-good legislation to appease the masses and divert attention from the real problem, which is Chicago's inability to break down their gang problem.

Would the citizens of Illinois (remember that Chicago is not the whole state) vote for this? Heck, no. They might be persuaded by a more tightly-focused, lenient gun control bill, but this is too sweeping and ridiculous.
Old January 1, 2013, 10:49 PM   #5
Willie Sutton

Bogus Article.

The cited organization does not have any such article posted on their website.

Willie

Old January 1, 2013, 10:49 PM   #6
XtremeRevolution

I was extremely skeptical, but this is real.

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index...howtopic=32771

http://illinoiscarry.com/forum/index...howtopic=32803

Last edited by Tom Servo; January 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Excised Borderline Language
Old January 1, 2013, 11:03 PM   #7
tmorone

I thought it was bogus too, Willie. That's when I looked it up and found it on multiple news sites.
Old January 1, 2013, 11:18 PM   #8
TheoShooter

Yep, it appears to be true. We really do have some whacked out politicians in this state. I've already written to my legislators telling them my thoughts on this and I hope everyone else does to.
Old January 1, 2013, 11:24 PM   #9
XtremeRevolution

I too have gone through my two senators and one representative's site and filled out the e-mail contact form expressing my concern. I will be calling them tomorrow to do it again. This bill cannot pass!
Old January 1, 2013, 11:39 PM   #10
Patriot86

The NRA Lobbist for Illinois has told us over on Illinois Carry they are deadly serious about passing this. Goes to show you guys as long as antis exist our rights will be under threat.

Besides the ban all guns bill their is going to be a seperate "hi cap" magazine ban bill. You dont need to be a genius to see what they are shooting for here. Even is it passes the IL Senate it shouldnt have legs in the house. The Mag ban bill will probably be a compromise.

All if this could also still be a bargaining chip when a CC bill is passed in Illinois later this year.

Last edited by Patriot86; January 1, 2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old January 2, 2013, 12:30 AM   #11
XtremeRevolution

It disgusts me to think that this is even being proposted for whatever reason. I've already spammed every single state senator in Illinois with an email and I will be contacting my representatives and senators tomorrow by phone.

I would love to know what they constitute as "high cap." Is that referring to handguns, rifles, or both? Are they going to take away all "high cap" magazines from all police as well because they're dangerous? It's sickening.
Old January 2, 2013, 03:01 AM   #12
Jim March

Quote:
All if this could also still be a bargaining chip when a CC bill is passed in Illinois later this year.
EXACTLY.

This isn't a bill, it's a bargaining chip. They'll drop it in exchange for a stenchful CCW system: may-issue if they can get it, otherwise expect psych evals, long training, insane accuracy tests, etc.
Old January 2, 2013, 03:59 AM   #13
Buffalo444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim March View Post
EXACTLY.

This isn't a bill, it's a bargaining chip. They'll drop it in exchange for a stenchful CCW system: may-issue if they can get it, otherwise expect psych evals, long training, insane accuracy tests, etc.
Uh, this whole ban is a diversion that pro gunners dont have to go along with. The antis have to agree to some sort of bill (which will be much less strick than the last one proposed) or after 180 days, illinois becomes constitutional carry. The antis really dont have a leg to stand on now. The deck is stacked in our favor. This is pure panic mode by antis. And you KNOW if this gets passed it wont get enforced, and will get declared unconstitutional by the SCOTUS.

sent from the rust monster
Old January 2, 2013, 04:50 AM   #14
Jim March

Agreed. I never said it would work!

Old January 2, 2013, 01:39 PM   #15
Gary L. Griffiths

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=4367&...call-right-now

They've certainly got the Guns Save Life folks in an uproar! Might actually be a good thing, in the long run. I can see the Supreme Court sidestepping a ban on "assault rifles" but not on the handguns that they have already ruled are primary self-defense weapons.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old January 2, 2013, 02:18 PM   #16
Pilot

Don't fall for another extreme negotiating tactic to make any concession by them seem like a compromise. When they come out with stuff like this push for a roll back of GCA 1968, and the 1934 machine gun ban. Don't let them rig the debate!
Old January 2, 2013, 02:34 PM   #17
hermannr

This sounds like the same crop of stuff Ob and the senate pushed over on the house on the budget. There was no reason for the house to collapse, they have a solid republician majority, they just do not know how to stand together.

The pro gun people in the IL legislature can do the same, if they have stand together.
Old January 2, 2013, 02:40 PM   #18
Metal god

Is it just me , I think they should pass such a unconstitutional law . When something like a ban on all modern guns or how ever they word it is shot down by the SCOTUS it would be the equivalent to one more law insuring are gun rights . Maybe we should let congress do the same and get this over with once and for all .

I get it , it could back fire but from the way I understand it . It most likely will go in favor of the pro gun groups or in favor of the US citizen's .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 2, 2013, 04:12 PM   #19
Patriot86

@Metal if you call scores of people being killed in raids when they refuse to turn in "illegal" weapons a backfire then yeah letting this pass would back fire. Thousands of Illinois gun owners would be felons for refusing to comply. Tens or Hundreds would go out with a bang when the ISP came a knocking. It would be like Ruby ridge only every week.

The way I see this letting it pass and hoping a pro gun justice in the SCOUTS is not replaced in the mean time is a poor and risky choice.
Old January 2, 2013, 05:05 PM   #20
Metal god

That's kinda my point . Even the anti's would think thats going to far . Most certainly any moderates would think it was going to far . Ban them all , go house to house taking them . 80% of America would say NO , gun owners or not .

I would bet the courts would put a hold on the implementation until the the appeals ran there course and the SCOTUS would hear it quick .

Risky ? yes, but the gun debate would be over once and for all .

This is just a thought and is probably why I'm in construction and not a lawyer

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old January 2, 2013, 05:23 PM   #21
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Ban them all , go house to house taking them . 80% of America would say NO , gun owners or not .
While the implementation of actual confiscation would run afoul of the 4th and 5th Amendments in almost any conceivable circumstance, they don't have to go that far.

Simply outlaw the things, then hand out stiff sentences to those who are caught with them. That one would fly with a large part of the populace.
Old January 2, 2013, 05:32 PM   #22
nate45

This is all part and parcel to my, they are lashing out in desperation theory. All the court battles have been going against the antis. Illinois was their last CCW free bastion, now the court has ended that. They are trying anything hoping we'll concede some more ground. In reality though all we have to do is set tight and more pro gun rights are on the way, not less.

Don't give in Illinois gun owners. Surely to goodness if you could come three votes from passing CCW, you could hold off these extremists for six months. Then, if your CCW law isn't passed, victory is yours. The Chicago crowd has zero bargaining chips, zero. Don't give an inch to them.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:26 PM   #23
CLYDE71

Heres my thoughts on it. I do not like it one bit. So even if its just posturing or just crying wolf,they hope maybe one day that we will not care and these stupid laws will pass.

So is it really hard to voice your concern to your state reps and let them know that you will not stand for any such laws?

We have to stand together and fight this,weather its any state or federal gov, let them hear your voice.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:35 AM   #24
62coltnavy

You can find links to the bills now. One set is on TTAG, and I am sure Illinois gun rights groups have also posted it. The bill to ban weapons is a confusing maorass, primarily because it defines banned semiauto pistols in three different (and contradictory) ways, and shotguns in two. One definition bans all semiautos, another bans semi autos wih one evil feature like a collapsible of thumbhole stock (AR pistols) or a threaded barrel. The last seems to suggest that the law would only effet pistols capable of accepting magazines of greater than 10 rounds capacity.

Both the gun ban and the mag ban contain the same range limitation law, a law that require anyone using a range to have an FOID (even if just learning to shoot) and the range owner to be a FFL.

These bills were filed today (the first day of the end of the current session), sent to committee, voted out of committee withut discussion on a 6-3 vote, and are expected to be submitted on the floor tomorrow, ramrodding the whole thing through. Obviously Quinn will sign anything put in front of him. It is just as obvious that this bill will not pass judicial scrutiny under any elevated standard of review, since it's only rationale is that its preamble claims that these are permissable restictions within the ambit of Heller.
Old January 3, 2013, 02:44 AM   #25
Xfire68

Todd our NRA lobbyists says that it has a slim chance at passing (Needs a 3/5 vote) and not to worry?

I sure hope he is right!

The committee was stacked with Chicago anti gunners which reflected the 6-3 vote as did the same 6-4 vote on the hi-cap magazine ban.

It is such a shame that there are no educated people down state making the laws that we the people have to live by!

Just ordered 6 Gen 3 Pmags!