The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 13, 2011, 07:12 PM   #51
egor20

I open carry on my property but as soon as I leave it I throw on a coat or a long shirt when I leave, We have OC/CCW in Virginia, so I don't worry if it prints, but then most people in my area are used to seeing guns, I just don't like to advertise.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 13, 2011, 07:37 PM   #52
ncpatriot

Quote:
it's perfectly legal to open carry in NC, but I think it's silly.
Check out the statute, "going armed to the terror of the public". OC in NC is very dangerous out in the general public. You could walk down a street, minding your own business, with a gun on your hip. Eat lunch, buy things, drop off your cleaning, etc. All is well, no problem. You turn a corner & some bedwetter sees you. She shouts "he's got a gun!". People panic, you are under arrest. The statute is very subjective. I have only OC in public twice. A jobsite involving a copper theft, 2 of them in fact. BAD neighborhood with thugs all around. I OC'd there but had owner's permission, generally didn't leave the yard or go to anyone else's house. I did have to park on the street some & carried no further than that.

I sometimes see store owners OC. They are relatively safe, their property & no one has to shop there that's offended. I used to see fishermen OC around lakes & rivers, haven't seen that in a long time now. Hunters sometimes OC in the woods.

I think OC is a good thing, along with CC. Each should do as he thinks best. But at this time, don't try to carry OC in general public here. TROUBLE.
Old February 14, 2011, 10:43 AM   #53
boredom

"gattop" is pretty silly, and completely up to the officer to determine if you are arrested or not. i live about 10 minutes from downtown raleigh (glenwood/nc state area) and a few people i associate with have been stopped because they were legally open carrying. now in order for the charge to actually stick, you must be considered a danger/threat to yourself and/or others, but its a thin line that id never want to cross. CC is the way for me.
Old February 14, 2011, 01:14 PM   #54
Twinsig

Alabama

theres an OC movement here in AL,
but once you get in a vehicle you must have permit.
Cant OC on horseback.
Cant OC on a bicycle.
Can be asked to leave the premises, disturbance, refusal = trespassing.
BG would consider you first threat.

So, FWIW, i guess its fine if you want to walk everywhere you go.
Not to mention, IMO, it might cause a sense of Commando-Mode-On.

I'd rather stick with covert OPs. When your weak, appear strong, when your strong, appear weak.
Old February 14, 2011, 01:42 PM   #55
Bulldawg55

Always carry, never tell!
Old February 15, 2011, 12:16 AM   #56
ncpatriot

Quote:
Always carry, never tell.
I generally agree. That jobsite where I OC'd was my only exception. There, I wanted it known I was armed. Carried crossdraw, where not all that obvious to a casual passerby, but OBVIOUS to someone approaching to bum money or shoot the bull.
Old February 15, 2011, 12:29 AM   #57
Rufus T Firefly

Re-Read the post from ncpatriot

Legal is legal, but do you want people screaming "gun" when you carry?

I heard a good story from a buddy at the store he works at. He was pulled over for a taillight on the way back from a training session he did.

He has a PTC. Open or Concealed in our state. He put his hands on the door in plain site for the Officer and told the Officer he had a concealed handgun. They dispatched another squad to handle the situation.

He was not obligated to let the officer know about the gun in our state. He was just trying to be a "good citizen".

I personally would not open carry. You never know what wimpy person will be freightened and start yelling.

I don't know your laws, but good luck if you open carry. Maybe that will change with public opinion. Just remember the current President won on trying to get more gun control.
Old February 15, 2011, 01:49 AM   #58
mellow_c

I support open carry. I agree with Mr.James in Post #4... and I second everything he said!
Old February 15, 2011, 02:01 AM   #59
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Just remember the current President won on trying to get more gun control.
Actually, he won on many factors. His past support for gun control was very, very far down the list. In fact, he practically fell all over himself voicing his "support" for the 2nd Amendment on the campaign trail in 2008.

That said, this whole shebang is taking place in "tactics and training." To that end, I'd like to suggest that if you plan on carrying openly, you really, really, really need to have a secure holster, and you need to get some training in weapon retention.

No, I can't cite a case in which a civilian's gun was lifted from him, but would you really want to be the first?
Old February 15, 2011, 10:58 PM   #60
HawkeyeNRAlifer

Although the press here wants to make it sound as if every joe will be carrying openly now that we have the "shall issue" law in effect, it's been the law for years. Our's has been a permit to carry, not just carry concealed. I don't carry openly and have seen only a couple of people do so over the years. I, like an earlier post, would rather not have to explain or discuss the merits of exercising my rights to a nervous nellie or a discombobulated liberal.
Old February 16, 2011, 12:07 AM   #61
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt. Pyle
Basically what I am asking, if you could open carry, would you?
You betcha.
Old February 16, 2011, 01:51 AM   #62
mcintosh

I CC, but OC or CC it's the Carry part that matters.

I have a few questions for those who oppose OC:

Do you present yourself as weak (an easy target trying to blend in with the other easy targets) or do you move confidently, making eye contact, like someone who knows how to handle themselves?
If the latter, do you believe that the same thug who is aggressive enough to target an OCer would pass over you? Why?

You can't have it both ways.
You can't be an invisible "gray man" who blends in with the sheep (to the point that you'd get to use your 'element of surprise'), but at the same time, look like you have your stuff together enough that you aren't targeted as a threat.
Any criminal who is aggressive enough to shoot an open carrier first is also going to shoot ANYONE who looks like a plausible threat first, gun or not.

Would it not be better to present a strong enough deterrent that they simply decide on their own that it's not worth it?

Many OCers report that they get asked whether or not they are law enforcement. Would the thugs not ask themselves this question as well? I am in no way advocating that citizens masquerade as LEOs, but how many of your garden variety street punks are willing to test their mettle against what they believe to be a cop?

I suppose it comes down to which scenario you're preparing for.
If it's the common mugger/7-11 robber, I would think that an armed presence (be it police, security, or OC citizen) would be enough to make them reconsider.
If it's the crazed, drug addled, maniac of typical SD related gun lore, how do you know he won't target you first anyway?
Old February 16, 2011, 07:40 AM   #63
hondauto

OC is legal here in CO(except denver itself)
I am in favor of OC,but CC is much better.
I don't like hassles and people are stupid.
So...CC dor me all the way
I do OC when in the woods camping or hunting though.
Old February 16, 2011, 07:49 AM   #64
sectshun8

I recently moved from VA, where I occasionally open carried a .38 revolver I had, to Colorado. Unlike what the previous poster said, OC is NOT completely legal in CO. Unless your outside most city limits, OC is a big no-no. I live in Golden and CCW is the only legal way to carry... but hey, you're still carrying

If I could OC here, I would, all the time... it's just not an option.
Old February 16, 2011, 10:27 AM   #65
Dr_Rich

My buddy who is really into gathering information...was telling me that here in Fl, they're talking about changing the rules a little bit about Concealed carry. From my CCW training class, they said your firearm must not show is any form or fashion. But being in Fl, 9 months out of the year, that can be a challenge with light cloths.

I wear baggies (board shorts, surfer shorts) an some form of tank/sleeveless shirt in the summer. This can prove to be difficult for concealing anything around ones waist. But the supposed new rule will allow small 'flashes' under those circumstances or minor printing. I really can't give my 100% approval on this, as I've not looked into it myself. But that would make for a sweet exception

But I know that strapping on your 6-shooter and boots would most likely be out of the question
Old February 16, 2011, 10:38 AM   #66
jcsturgeon

Well, I am not a wimpy person, I like and respect guns, own several and shoot often... but I get nervous when I see someone open carry.

Why?

Well, IMO open carry offers you no tactical advantage whatsoever. If there were an active shooter situation you would most likely be the first person to die and if not... the first suspect when cops show up.

Open carry is really just a way to pound your chest and flaunt your opinions on the second amendment and gun control in general. Shooters and non-shooters alike are turned off by the idea of someone open carrying, so not only is it not a tactically sound option but it does damage to the cause.

So... when I see someone open carry I automatically assume they just aren't that bright, and I know they have a gun, which isn't a good combo.
Old February 16, 2011, 06:13 PM   #67
WW2

BGutzman

I agree with you 100%.

I owe double on my house compared to what it is worth. So, as soon as I find a buyer I plan on moving to a safer, gun friendly state.

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old February 16, 2011, 09:44 PM   #68
Twinsig

in-alabama

Well, let me tell you this! Buddy, if i wanna OC dad-gum-it I AM! AND, I'm also going to WALK everywhere I go. BUT I gotta gun though! SO There! Time for me to go down to the shoe store and get some new SHOES....
caint ride no horse, caint ride no by-sickle, but I gotta gun, dad-gum-it...
Old February 18, 2011, 09:36 PM   #69
hondauto

chucky.. You are silly..
I don't advocate open carry unless it's in the woods.
I'm ok with someone OC'ing but it makes me nervous,because I am CC'ing
In general population OC is not necessary in my opinion.
It only makes people uncomfortable and serves little purpose..
In the woods,yes protection from the 4 legged critters who might harm is necessary.
Old February 18, 2011, 10:35 PM   #70
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I am in no way advocating that citizens masquerade as LEOs, but how many of your garden variety street punks are willing to test their mettle against what they believe to be a cop?
Enough that it's a serious problem. Many police officers are shot with their own weapons.

Those officers had training in retention. They had hand-to-hand combat training. They had good holsters.

I've seen some of the folks who open carry. They don't have any of that. If someone mistook one of them for an LEO, then it'd be a bad scene.
Old February 18, 2011, 10:44 PM   #71
troy_mclure

Quote:
Enough that it's a serious problem. Many police officers are shot with their own weapons.

Those officers had training in retention. They had hand-to-hand combat training. They had good holsters.
and most of these officers are attempting to subdue/restrain a suspect. which the average OC'er will not be doing.

i open carry frequently. have never had a problem. but have had many good conversations about my states firearms laws.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old February 19, 2011, 02:56 PM   #72
KenpoTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_mclure
and most of these officers are attempting to subdue/restrain a suspect. which the average OC'er will not be doing.
Most maybe, but not all...I remember a story from just the last year or so where an officer was targeted specifically so that the BG could get his weapon.

Aside from that, while a OC'er or CCW'er may not be trying to effect an arrest or to subdue/restrain someone, there are a lot of incidents that start as an empty-hand fight. If one's weapon is just hanging out there for all the world to see, most CC/OC'ers aren't going to have the skill to retain it (or to fight effectively in the first place).

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy_mclure
i open carry frequently. have never had a problem.
No one "has a problem"...until they do.

Matt K.
Old February 19, 2011, 03:35 PM   #73
smince

Quote:
No one "has a problem"...until they do.
But he won't, seeing as how he has that magic talisman hanging on his belt...
Old February 19, 2011, 10:05 PM   #74
youngunz4life

I think that is too over the top to condemn every OC as in saying they aren't bright as an example. Gunshop owners behind the desk OC sometimes, and I have no problem with that. Advocates who deal with the laws and the furtherance of gun rights(the real workers) OC, and this can be good. Also, people OC in their yards, woods, wherever. you might not have been talking about that, but OC has its place like it or not. I myself CCW, but I respect others that OC also.
Old February 19, 2011, 11:04 PM   #75
pmeisel

There are way too many different circumstances for a generalized answer to this question. For some places and people it makes sense. People should think about whether that is their situation.