The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 1, 2004, 11:16 PM   #26
gifted

Just about everyone is making them. Very nice for direct fire support, and can apparently be used as indirect fire support, making it more flexible than a mortar. Having looked around at them a while back, it seemed to be a new thing. Don't know if it's good or bad.

If you watch the news, you'll see a good number of Mk-19s on the HMMWVs. And I was told once that they have teething trouble, requiring some amount of adjustment before being able to be fielded.
Old December 4, 2004, 10:57 PM   #27
CQBArms

Wanna buy one

ANyone that can legally own one, let me know I think we can put the only M19 that is transferable in the US in you hands for something like $200K plus a fee.
Old December 5, 2004, 05:01 PM   #28
gifted

Last I heard it was going for more than 450k. I might be mixing it up with a minigun though.
Old December 5, 2004, 10:44 PM   #29
PMDW

last I saw miniguns were around 250K anr the MK19 was 350K. That aws a year or so ago, so I imagine it's much higher now.
Old December 6, 2004, 11:34 PM   #30
Gothiq

mk-19

just an aside the mk 19 can fire m203/m79 rounds but not the reverse much like the 38 special in 357 mag but not vice versa issue the fun thing in the marines with the mk 19 was watching the WMs having to put both feet on the breech plate and yank with both hands to cock the buggers LOL

"if my memory serves its been awhile"
stats:
date adopted 1980
length 103 cm
wt empty 35kg
wt loaded with 50 rd belt 55kg
cal 40mmx114mm
muzzel vel 787 fps
burst radius of he rd 10 mtr
min armimg range of explosive rds 13m
effective range 1600m (indirect fire 400 m direct fire)
max range 3100 mtr
rate of fire 350-375 rpm

as an aside the first fa 40mm adopted bt the us was the drum fed m 174e3 adoted in 1972 it fired standard m/79 rounds from a 12 round drum and was meant to be man portable much moreso then the mk 19
Old December 11, 2004, 07:22 PM   #31
abelew

Gothig you are right about the mk19 being able to shoot m203 rounds, but not the reverse. Mk19 rounds are much higher pressure (HEDP) than m203 rounds (as the m203 has an aluminum tube). Trying to shoot a HEDP from a m203 would be the most amazing KB possiable I think
Old December 29, 2004, 03:08 PM   #32
USMCbulletsponge

Mk19

Boys, I can assure you there are few finer joys in life than lighting up an alleyway or building full of little muj badguys scrambling for their life while you press the thumb release unleashing a steady stream of grenades. ooooh. i get giddy just thinkin about it. its hard to decide which is more fun. shooting badguys with the mk19 or the 50cal. the mk19 makes alot of smoke and dust so its hard to see where all the little bits of people go. of course badguys still "pop when ya shoot em" with the 50cal, too...often leaving a badguy's lower half just sitting there wondering where his upper half has gone to.
Thank You, God.

WEAPONS COMPANY...KEEPIN IT REAL.
Old December 29, 2004, 05:32 PM   #33
gifted

Would you have to manually cycle the Mk19 for each 203 round you put through it? It seems to me you probably wouldn't have enough pressure to do so.
Old December 29, 2004, 05:33 PM   #34
PsychoSword

What happens if you get a squib load while rattling off in full auto
KABOOM!!!!

Old December 31, 2004, 09:07 AM   #35
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
What happens if you get a squib load while rattling off in full auto
KABOOM!!!!
The fuzes are spin-armed.
Old December 31, 2004, 10:37 AM   #36
FirstFreedom

USMC bulletsponge - hilarious. Anyone else remember that character from "Full Metal Jacket" - the badass dude that Joker had a run-in with, who was in the unit that he was assigned to, in the last scenes of the movie? And the chopper door-gunner dude as well, for that matter. USMC, I can almost picture you firing with a madman's grin....tee hee.
Old December 31, 2004, 01:59 PM   #37
USMCbulletsponge

203 /m19

Gifted, my special friend...the MK19 does not fire the same 40mm grenade used in the 203. you COULD fire the 203 round through a MK19 but it would not extract and you would have to pry the empty casing out with your fingers or a leatherman. not very practical. i can also shoot battle rockets through my M16, but there's not much reason to. on the MK19, you rack it once and press the butterfly thumb release (trigger), you're now condition 3, rack it again and you're in conditon 1. Mess this up, and you're blowin up the humvee in front of you. once in condition 1 you only need press the trigger and you can send 40mm linked grenades right through the sheet metal of a car, then explode. if you get to close to your target the grenades wont arm and its like a giant 40mm slug. its not the same show as exploding grenades but its still plenty fun. i heartily recommend this to anyone at home.
Old December 31, 2004, 02:05 PM   #38
USMCbulletsponge

Joy in your hearts!

Freedom...I don't know why it is, but there is a very special joy one can experience while here on earth. All you have to do is find some truly, truly bad people...then punish them with all the powerful weapons God and government has bestowed on you. Try this sober at first. Just to get the hang of it. then feel free to add something that says "you," to create your own style of vengeance. Enjoy!
Old December 31, 2004, 04:21 PM   #39
gifted

I figured something like that, USMCbulletsponge. Be a real bad time when you have to do it.

Went to a turkey shoot once, we got there too late to see the guns go off, but we got to watch them extract a grenade from a mk19. EOD stuck it in a lump of C4, took it out on the range and let her go. Quite the firecracker.
Old January 4, 2005, 02:28 PM   #40
tanstaafl4y

The term HEDP (used in an earlier post) refers to "High Explosive, Dual Purpose" Meaning Personel and lightly armored vehicles. This is in contrast to HE which is for anti-personel (Also effective against "comercial" type vehicles). Just to throw out a another acronyms I learned during my 9 years on active duty HEAT=High Explosive Anti Tank.

The Ammo for the MK-19 is higher pressured than the M203 ammo. The MK-19 Ammo has a high pressure and a low pressure area inside of the caseing. The high pressure area withstands 40,000 (Forty thousand) psi. It is difused to the low pressure area.

1)Lets see how I can describe this. Take a McDonalds Supersized cup and place in on the countertop in the normal fashion.

2)Take 2 childs-sized cups poke 7 holes in the bottom of those cups. Place one into the other and twist so the holes are not aligned with each other.

3)Put the child-sized cups upside down and inside the supersized cup

4)Put a big potato on top of the supersized cup and voila! you have an improvised model of the MK-19 round.

The area inside of the childs cups is the high pressure area and the area under the potato is the low pressure area.
Old January 5, 2005, 01:05 PM   #41
FirstFreedom

If I join the US Mil, I want to be in USMCBulletSponge's unit! You're one of a kind sir...lol.
Old January 13, 2005, 05:04 PM   #42
shaggy

For those of you seriously interested, a registered and transferable MK19 GMG was recently advertised for sale on sturmgewehr - I think the price was $600,000. (+tax & shipping)
Old June 9, 2005, 01:09 PM   #43
M198

a mk19 for 600 grand? in my experience with the mk19, it jams too easily (especially in iraq w/ a lot of dust flying around), a little too bulky, only has 25 round belts, and is not my prefered method of engagement. of course, i like to be a few mile away shooting my howitzer, but i did do convoy security missions in baghdad. now on the issue with the tft, it would take too long to get the correct data on the gun given the t/e that you have is not defective, plus you have to compensate for diff. of elevat. and so forth. now with the mortar not being able to do direct fire, the 60mm mortar has a hand-held mode and can be shot direct fire at a target in the hand operated mode given you put the bottom on something sturdy like a wall or tree. now with shooting a mk19 round from a m203. its like tripling the powder in the round. the m203 breech cannot stand the pressure that will be put off, and it will mess your hand up.
Old June 9, 2005, 06:20 PM   #44
Fred Hansen

Quote:
Thank You, God.
Amen!!!

"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old June 9, 2005, 07:35 PM   #45
TPAW

And you can still get on a plane with a pen or pencil. Makes a great weapon. Especially if pushed into the eye and right into the brain! Through the ear is just as deadly. I saw it happen to a guy one time. You don't die instantly, but you are immediately rendered a vegatable.
I remember it from the Army many moons ago.
Old August 30, 2005, 05:29 AM   #46
mrclark439

mk19

I have a single MK19 round if anyone wants it
Old August 30, 2005, 07:33 AM   #47
fal308
Staff Alumnus

If you're in the USA and the round is not registered, you have something that is worth a hefty fine and quite a bit of time courtesy of Uncle Sam's "hotel".
Old August 30, 2005, 08:54 AM   #48
3 weelin geezer

Yeah, and I have a couple of pinapple grenades. One sits on my desk. Those who think I should not have it, can take a number to complain. Gotta go------> ZOOMMMM!
Old September 6, 2005, 01:22 AM   #49
CypherNinja

tanstaafl4y:

How's that?

Dunno what round it is (if its even a US round), but its all good, right?
Old September 6, 2005, 06:57 AM   #50
STLRN

M198

You are a Gunnery Instructor at CPen? Are you at ATS?

Indirect with it is pretty easy, you adjust it in just like you do arty. The FO has to understand that, its dispersion is pretty big because of lack of dampening on the Mk64. Drift really isn't big till you get to around 1800 meters, beyond that you have added it to the first adjust burst, but just like a Adj mission you don't readdress drift with subs. QE is a little harder to get on the initial adj round since they don't have gunner's quadrants, but what I have used in the past is to put the M2 compass on the feed tray prior to firing an adjusting burst and than using the elevation wheel on the TE for subsequent adjustments.