The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 25, 2019, 08:18 PM   #26
Siggy-06

You want a 9mm load exclusively for shooting into or out from vehicles, go with a 147 +p hard cast. One of the outside “ranges” I got to shoot at had plenty of targets to test loads, from tv sets to cars.
Old May 25, 2019, 08:37 PM   #27
wild cat mccane

Federal/Speer is owned by Vista Outdoors and already tested this for you. Jk, they did it for law enforcement as the largest ammunition company in America. What do they know as a sister company of ATK which puts rockets in space...

https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/wound_ba...omparison.aspx

Contrary to what people think, when metal is harder it is becomes more likely to shatter. Ie the strongest chain is Grade 120. Grade 120 lifts more than any other Grade, but nick it or physically attack it? Destroyed. So Hard Cast usually gets thrown around like it's depleted uranium. It ain't. Hard Cast easily shatters (break up) on hard surfaces. Then you just lost your mass forward of the break.

Last edited by wild cat mccane; May 25, 2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old May 25, 2019, 08:46 PM   #28
KyJim

Quote:
Federal/Speer is owned by Vista Outdoors and already tested this for you. Jk, they did it for law enforcement as the largest ammunition company in America. What do they know as a sister company of ATK which puts rockets in space...
I had forgotten all about that site. Thanks for the link.
Old May 27, 2019, 02:00 PM   #29
wild cat mccane

No problem.

Pretty much don't have to read anything in this thread but that link.
Old May 27, 2019, 02:10 PM   #30
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
No problem.

Pretty much don't have to read anything in this thread but that link.
Phew, man going forward we can save all sorts of time. Rather than have people discuss and share their opinions and experiences we can just do Google searches.

Sarcasm aside that is a useful link. I do think there's other information in this thread still worth reading (and no I'm not so vain as to mean my own).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; May 27, 2019 at 02:22 PM.
Old June 3, 2019, 09:22 AM   #31
Spencer267

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post

https://le.vistaoutdoor.com/wound_ba...omparison.aspx

Contrary to what people think, when metal is harder it is becomes more likely to shatter. Ie the strongest chain is Grade 120. Grade 120 lifts more than any other Grade, but nick it or physically attack it? Destroyed. So Hard Cast usually gets thrown around like it's depleted uranium. It ain't. Hard Cast easily shatters (break up) on hard surfaces. Then you just lost your mass forward of the break.
Holy jesus!!! I checked out for a little while revisted to find this link. A lot of useful information here. Many thanks!