The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 12, 2019, 09:03 AM   #1
riffraff

Anything wrong with a Sig P227 ?

I'm real interested in getting a .45, started doing my research a bit - I like/prefer Sig, I like their exposed hammer DA/SA w/ decocker setup, and have a 226 & 229 today that I'm fond of..

Upon looking at current models I see options are basically the P220 and that is it (except if you want a 1911, but I prefer the other design)..

It looks like up until recently they made the 227, which was staggered stack version of the 220, but have since stopped offering it. The 227 looks really sweet, I see they are available fairly easily factory new, but that they are no longer a current model (haven't yet checked the Sig store, very well may be one on the shelf as well)...

My question is - was there some reason they ditched that model? Seems odd since it was really a more updated 220 that added capacity (looks like it holds 14 if you want).. Anyone know of a reason the 220 lives on and the 227 is being shelved?

Thanks!
Old June 12, 2019, 10:46 AM   #2
Roughedge

I have one and the grip is a tad big for my hands, they say its the same as a 226 but it not. I would carry my 220 but it a limited edition and I want to keep it NIB. Now I have a reason to get another 220.
Old June 12, 2019, 11:45 AM   #3
jr24

When it first disappeared from the website Sig claimed it wasn't actually disconyjnued, at least according to Sigtalk a while back.

I looked into the 227 a bit when it came out and did like it fine enough, feels pretty close to a 226 (but I like the 226 better) and shoots well as long as you don't try to use the 14 round mags (which were very hit or miss with reliability).

But, at the end of the day, it's thicker than the 220 and doesn't fit most hands as well with only adding 2 rounds. Ultimately I stuck with the 220 and 1911 for my .45 needs. If they had managed that size with a 12 round mag I think it would still be around.

At least that's my opinion
Old June 12, 2019, 02:42 PM   #4
riffraff

Well thats good info thanks guys..

I think if 14 round mags are NFG then my choice is a better fitting pistol in 10 versus 12, I will prefer the 220.
Old June 12, 2019, 08:30 PM   #5
dgludwig

I replaced my Model 220 with a Model 227, mostly because the grip felt better in my hand; the couple of extra rounds were icing on the cake. The E2 ("Enhanced Ergonomics") grips on my Model 226 feels much the same as the grip on my Model 227. On occasion, I carry the Model 227 comfortably concealed in a Galco "King Tuk", iwb holster.
I really like this pistol and would recommend it to anyone wanting a well-made, utterly reliable, da pistol, assuming it fits well in your hand.
Old June 12, 2019, 10:55 PM   #6
riffraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
I replaced my Model 220 with a Model 227, mostly because the grip felt better in my hand; the couple of extra rounds were icing on the cake. The E2 ("Enhanced Ergonomics") grips on my Model 226 feels much the same as the grip on my Model 227. On occasion, I carry the Model 227 comfortably concealed in a Galco "King Tuk", iwb holster.
I really like this pistol and would recommend it to anyone wanting a well-made, utterly reliable, da pistol, assuming it fits well in your hand.
My 229 is some upleveI version, came with these low profile gritty grips - love them. My 226 is a tacops and its got grips on it made to be a little wider, is OK but on my list of chit to do is to go for the slimmer versions Ive seen.

Ive got wider shorter fingers and hands, 226 is perfectly GTG but I dont wish for a wider grip at all.. for +4 rounds seems like a good compromise but if all I actually get reliably is +2 doesnt seem worth a trade off. Odd though Sig couldnt make 14 rounds work or would sell a mag that wasnt reliable for that matter.
Old June 13, 2019, 09:30 PM   #7
disseminator

I bought the 227 when it came out a few years back. The 14 round magazines NEVER worked right and that is well documented. SIG never addressed it at all. They did swap mine out for 10 rounders though.

I would not buy it over a 1911 or a P220. If someone wanted to trade me a 220 for it, I would do so assuming they were of comparable features and condition.

I find the P227 to be a bit finicky. Some ammo works perfect, other brands jam every few rounds. I have several P226's and a P229 and they have NEVER had a malfunction in thousands and thousands of rounds while the P227 does regularly.

I would not carry it for self defense because of this. That said, I like the gun and it is very accurate like it's kin the P220. ( They have the same barrel and slide )

My opinion: get a P220 or a 1911 instead.

Old June 14, 2019, 10:23 AM   #8
riffraff

Thanks for that too. Gotta be a 220 then, some day I may pickup a really pretty 1911, and would almost definitely be a Sig if so, but for practical purposes I like the DA trigger and decocker controls.
Old June 14, 2019, 05:09 PM   #9
disseminator

You'll be glad you got the P220.

I just got a SIG 1911 Emperor Scorpion and it's great.

Definitely wont be my last 1911 but I'll never sell it either.
Old June 14, 2019, 07:44 PM   #10
dgludwig

riffraff, do a search on the SIG Model 220 and you'll learn that plenty of people have experienced feeding problems with this pistol over time-just like every other gun ever made (looking at you, Glock ). Before I sold my Model 220, I had fired hundreds of rounds through it with no problems. I have fired thousands of rounds of very different ammunition configurations through my Model 227 and Model 226 pistols with no problems. I have no reservations whatsoever relying on my Model 227 for defending my life under any circumstance.

If you look hard enough, you'll find very SIG ever made to have given problems to any one individual over time but to suggest that the Model 227 is intrinsically a "jam-o-matic" (not saying that anyone necessarily is alleging that) just isn't true in my experience.

When it comes time for you to "pick up a really pretty 1911", give the SIG models TTT and STX a look-see. Really handsome SIG-made 1911 pistols, imo.

Last edited by dgludwig; June 15, 2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old June 14, 2019, 10:00 PM   #11
RsqVet

It was 20 or so years too late to really capture interest and market share.

I shot one. Liked it enough but not enough to add it, already owning 220's in a few configurations.

If one wanted a metal frame, hammer fired da / sa gun it would be a choice. No one complains about extra rounds but honestly the 220 grip size does fit me better.

never shot enough to see an issue but given the 220's reliability would not expect it to not be decent or better unless something really went sideways.