The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 15, 2006, 01:50 AM   #1
dlefdal

Help with Ruger Please

Hey guys;

I own a Ruger P89 DC and have had it for many years now. I've shot thousands of rounds through it and have cleaned it religously via field stripping it only.

I'm one of my police dept's weapons inspectors and being such......I am kind of anal about having a clean gun.

I believe it is time to get into the trigger assembly and some of the smaller parts of this pistol. I do it to my Glock 23 once a year and have never done it to my Ruger........because I don't know how to tear it down past field stripping.

Does anybody know of any manuals or techniques to take the P89 DC down past field stripping? I'm fairly good at keeping track of things so I feel confident in doing it, once I get some direction.

Thanks guys
Old January 15, 2006, 02:15 AM   #2
joecad

have you tried?

http://thefiringline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19 this is harley noldens ......its on the first page of the firing line. i think that you may be able to find help there.
Old January 15, 2006, 11:48 AM   #3
Lycanthrope

You could just hose the trigger group out with cigarette lighter fluid.

I've torn the P89 down a couple times to polish some surfaces and remember the springs can be tricky to get back in. I remember cutting the head off a small nail to use as a slave pin and keep a spring in place while aligning the rest.

I didn't have a manual. If you can tear down a Glock or 1911, you can handle the ruger.
Old January 27, 2006, 03:27 AM   #4
tailgunner82

My suggestion, for a quick but highly effective fix, use Break Free Powder Blast to clean your gun out without full disassembly. However, the best reference for full detailed disassembly is "The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part 1 Automatic Pistols 2nd Edition Pages 447 to 458. Hope this helps.
GM2 Carlton USN