The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

View Poll Results: Would you like to see these stocks on the Market?
Yes, I love 'em! 9 15.79%
Yes, I'm interested. 15 26.32%
I am interested. Convince me. 7 12.28%
No, you can keep them. 26 45.61%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 20, 2011, 02:05 AM   #26
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

I just had a thought.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as the rifle is attached to the stock, without movement, accuracy and function remains the same, doesn't it?

What if, instead of making a bedding block that's bedded to the rifle stock, what if I had the bedding block seperate, with no movement tolerance in the stock, say it fits like a glove in a single cut out space, sandwhiched between the barreled action and the bottom metal.

Is this something worth pursuing or is it a no-go.

Last edited by LJ-MosinFreak-Buck; September 20, 2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old September 20, 2011, 08:24 AM   #27
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

Guess I'm just hearing crickets, lol.
Old September 20, 2011, 11:23 AM   #28
loose_holster_dan

those look just like stocks i've already seen before.

*edit*
sorry, should have read before i looked at the pictures. didn't realize you were specifically talking about those models. i like the idea of putting modern looking stocks on older rifles.

*edit*
you really need a good 3-d modeling software to excite people with this. give solidworks a try.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old September 20, 2011, 11:28 AM   #29
DiCarnage

Don't listen to the nay-sayers, man. You have a good idea, and you should go for it if that's what you wanna do. I ran into a guy at the local gun show selling K98's with custom wood furniture for $1,000 and he was actually making sales. What you have here is an entry into a niche market, and as the poll shows there's roughly 50% interest in your proposed product, which is great. As with any aftermarket product, you're only gonna be looking at a tiny percentage of the buying market, but there will be those customers that make your day worth it.
I know guys that have put $1000+ into aftermarket parts for their 870's, so your customers are out there.

BTW: CTD has your Mosin scope mount solution for 42 bucks
Old September 20, 2011, 11:50 AM   #30
Scorch

Quote:
what if I had the bedding block seperate, with no movement tolerance in the stock, say it fits like a glove in a single cut out space, sandwhiched between the barreled action and the bottom metal.
Is this something worth pursuing or is it a no-go.
Take a look at www.stockysstocks.com , they have a stock exactly like what you are talking about (AccuBlock stock), removable bedding area so the same stock can be sold for different rifles, just insert the proper bedding insert. It's a good idea, but you have to figure out how to make money on it or you will go broke trying to make people happy. And last time I checked, going broke was not a good business practice.

Last edited by Scorch; September 20, 2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old September 20, 2011, 12:38 PM   #31
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

I never heard of a commercial interchangeable bedding block, guess my idea would work, if it works on other rifles. I'm not sure I like the idea of having the same block for multiple stocks though, mainly because all recievers are different, and I plan on doing these for more than just a R700 or what have you.

My ideas are for the Mosin, the Mauser (which, if not mistaken, should cover the Springfield, to? Answer there?), and the K31. Though, there's a potential of more. Guess I could venture into the Savage and the Remington's, seeing as they're both entry-level F-class rifles (on level of accurization).

DiCarnage, I gotta thank you for the continued support! Means a lot!

My scope mount is something that I would like to do. That way, there is no serious modification to the rifle (drill and tap, yet another one of my ideas for a drop in rifle, which can be scoped WITHOUT modification) and I believe, if done right, has the chance to be fairly accurate. It is bolted to the bedding block, torqued down, though lbs./in. unknown at the moment (does it need to be specific?)

Loose Holster Dan: I do need some better designing software. But I'm working with what I have right now.

Scorch: Your point is seen, and I'll raise you that with good customer service, comes good business.
Old September 20, 2011, 01:37 PM   #32
savage1r

You can relax with the extended magazine because one has already been patented and is in the process of being produced by this guy:
http://www.datamancer.net/blog/
He's a good guy and a member of gunandgame.com as well as calguns.net. You could probably work a deal with him and then package out your stocks with his mags to make a sweet deal for mosin-modders.
Old September 20, 2011, 01:44 PM   #33
booker_t

Unrelated, if you're not able to spring for some CAD software, I suggest you try Google Sketchup. Might give you a better result than MS Paint, and real CAD files that can be exported to g-code, converted to DXF, and used for CAM.

http://sketchup.google.com/
Old September 20, 2011, 01:45 PM   #34
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

I am not going to relax, because in my opinion, I've got the better design, and I just need to get one fabbed up. Mine is detachable, like an AR-15 magazine.

I like datamancers work, don't get me wrong, I'd love a 10 round Mosin, but his isn't detachable. I want to do a detachable variation. If I'm limited to doing it to the rifles I build for my sole possession, sure, fine, no big deal. But AFAIK, he doesn't have the patent for a detachable box magazine.

However... The package deal would be a pretty nice idea... I'll have to look him up. Link to his site?
Old September 20, 2011, 01:55 PM   #35
savage1r

Far be it from me to tell someone NOT to do something they're interested in, I just assumed that it would mean you wouldn't have to spend that extra time working on the mechanics of the mag when you could utilize that time more for the stock production. You can reach his main site from the link I provided or just www.datamancer.net I believe.
Old September 20, 2011, 02:40 PM   #36
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

Thanks for the link and consideration, Savage.

I tried that Google Sketchup, not really a fan. Too hard for me to get used to. Plus, I can't even get one of the designs to shape how I wanted.
Old September 20, 2011, 09:33 PM   #37
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

For the sake of this to work in my favor, I will continue to try my hand at this, but I'm not sure how anything will work out.
Old September 20, 2011, 09:52 PM   #38
TXGunNut

Build one. A picture may be worth a thousand words but it makes a poor rifle stock.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old September 20, 2011, 10:27 PM   #39
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

Well I got some good news. I've got a nice oak log coming my way from a buddy who's in the tree service. I'll cut it down to a reasonable block before I let it dry and season. Anyone have any recommendations for how long I should let it season?
Old September 20, 2011, 11:07 PM   #40
shooter_john

You come up with those stocks for less than $100, and I'd likely buy a Mosin and one of your stocks, just to try it out. I've had a couple in the past, but always ran into folks that wanted them more than I did.
Old September 20, 2011, 11:36 PM   #41
kraigwy

So you take a $100 rifle, put on a 200 or so stock, an additional couple hundred in gunsmith services and you get a $50 rifle.

No Sir, not for me. I like the way my Mosin shoots now, Plus its CMP GSM Legal.

I though I would be in the minioity bu it looks like just south of 50% voted NO THANKS
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 20, 2011, 11:38 PM   #42
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

Thank you, shooter_john.

I plan on building two prototypes. One for a drop in rifle, to test accuracy gains from stock, and a second to see the accuracy potential of a target class mosin.

If anyone lives in the Council Bluffs, Iowa or Omaha, Nebraska region, and have another Mosin they want to donate for trials, pm me. You'll get your rifle back. Or heck, you could test the rifle yourself. All I have is an M44 for a Mosin, so I wouldn't be able to test the 91/30.
Old September 20, 2011, 11:50 PM   #43
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

Quote:
Kraigwy:
So you take a $100 rifle, put on a 200 or so stock, an additional couple hundred in gunsmith services and you get a $50 rifle.

I though I would be in the minioity bu it looks like just south of 50% voted NO THANKS
The stock isn't going to be in the $200 dollar range. Just goes to show how well (or lack there of) you read this thread, kraigwy.

These stocks are designed for pure, PURE, drop in installation. No gunsmithing needed. That's my job. I build the stock, I build the bedding block, you enjoy the rifle and it's expected accuracy gains.

I am quite offended that you think it'll turn a $100.00 rifle, which were made by the millions, into a $50.00 rifle.

Though, like stated. I'm not holding the proverbial gun to your head to make you buy it. Maybe I can change your mind down the road. Who knows. This stock is built for purpose. A nice accessory for someone who whats to change the look of their old warhorse, or have a stock that they can build a custom rifle off of.
Old September 21, 2011, 07:25 AM   #44
loose_holster_dan

i'm not sure if you've ever tried google sketchup. it's a free 3d modeling software by google. a little tricky to figure out, but it has to be better than paint.

http://sketchup.google.com/download/
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old September 21, 2011, 07:55 AM   #45
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

Downloaded that software last night. Been trying to make sense of it ever since. I just can't get the drawings to do what I want them to.
Old September 29, 2011, 04:16 PM   #46
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

For those of you who are following what I'm doing with these stocks, visit the album link to keep updated on some different design ideas. I'm making some headway into getting the materials, but a search for free supplies always takes a while (I'm unemployed so gotta make do with what I can get).

Also, if you'd like to keep informed on what's going on, visit the bottom link.

Custom Designs

THR Thread
Old September 29, 2011, 04:51 PM   #47
Ozzieman

I think they would make a very good business venture. A lot would depend on the quality and materials.
But for me no, the reasons are for old military guns, I like them original.
Old September 29, 2011, 05:36 PM   #48
tobnpr

I think you do need to hit a price-point.
Boyd's and Richards Microfit already offer stocks for the MN, so what you're proposing isn't really anything new, other than perhaps the tactical style.

I have a sporter in a Boyd's stock, bedded the receiver, and installed pillars. Shoots just over minute of angle with handloads.

I think if you can get in the $100-$200 range you might be a competitor.

The "thing" that separates a MN from the rest of the pack (Mausers,etc) is that they cannot be re-barreled with any degree of fiscal sanity. No one manufactures a pre-threaded and chambered barrel for them. All you can do, is find another 70 year old action with a decent 70 year old barrel...

I love my Mosin-Nagant, but I also recognize it's limitations.
Old September 29, 2011, 05:38 PM   #49
HKFan9

Quote:

Sorry but I have to agree with Kraig.

After all the labor.. money.. and tinkering... you could have just gone and bought a used Remington or a Savage... which will be more accurate.. and more ammo available.

What I am getting at is your going to end up with a rifle that isn't competition legal (a big selling point for the mosin) that wont perform the same as a modern design. So really you just have a labor intensive paper puncher.... which is fine if you want to tinker around for yourself.. but as far as making them for others... I would have a feeling your business would not last long.
Old September 29, 2011, 07:49 PM   #50
Hawk7173

I have a reputation of being kind of a traditionalist when it comes to rifle platforms, but I will say that I am impressed with the look of the first several stocks.

Tags
custom , mosin nagant , mosin nagant accuracy