The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 3, 2012, 03:55 PM   #1
thebrassmonkeys

Panic Buying at Tampa Gun Show

Hi Folks went to Tampa Gun show yesterday knowing was first after recent election results but still amazed.

One vendor sold $50k of ammo first morning. Every reloading stall sold out of Varget (every size )within first 30 mins of show opening. Guys that would usually discount for cash or bulk all saying 'that is the cash price'

All 9mm gone some 223 at 33% over the October price and 50% over the online black friday pxs.

saw some gun dealers ( not ammo guys) offering individual boxes of PMC Bronze 9mm at $25 plus tax !!!

hope sanity returns soon.
Old December 3, 2012, 04:09 PM   #2
UtopiaTexasG19

The event as you describe is the exact reason I started 4 years ago accumulating supplies.
Old December 3, 2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Xfire68

No one can be sure but, I will guess that your going to see this for the next 4 years!
Old December 3, 2012, 06:30 PM   #4
DaleA

Ha!

I'm not worried, I've still got my Y2K stash!

(Maybe all these 'panics' aren't really real...)
Old December 3, 2012, 06:45 PM   #5
Dr Big Bird PhD

I'm stashing up for when North Korea invades like the Red Dawn remake
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old December 3, 2012, 07:05 PM   #6
1 old 0311-1

The event as you describe is the exact reason I started 4 years ago accumulating supplies.

I started a bit sooner.

Old December 3, 2012, 10:21 PM   #7
Captains1911

Quote:
No one can be sure but, I will guess that your going to see this for the next 4 years!
Not if it goes similar to that of the 2008 election, where things were back to normal by summer. Hysteria and speculation are our worst enemy right now.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:30 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

The day after the election, I had customers complaining that one of our competitors had doubled price on all magazines over ten rounds. The dealer's excuse was that demand had skyrocketed and supply was exhausted.

Out of curiosity, I called the dealer and asked them how much they were getting for Glock magazines. They quoted me $60 and gave me the same excuse. While I was on the phone with them, I had a distributor's site on screen showing over 300 available for immediate order at the same price they've been all along.

There's been a backlash against that dealer, and people have long memories when it comes to this sort of thing. The only ammunition shortage that will happen is the one we create, and even that will be short-lived.

TL;DR: supplies have not dried up, and there is no reason for price hikes.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:09 PM   #9
carguychris

Quote:
The only ammunition shortage that will happen is the one we create, and even that will be short-lived.
+1. FWIW I have seen very few signs of panic buying in my local area. The LGS's still have plenty of standard-capacity mags and EBRs, and the big-box discount stores still have plenty of ammo.

Ironically, I think one of the main factors is that people remember what happened in 2008 and saw this one coming. I personally bought several thousand rounds of .380ACP and .22LR and several cases of small pistol primers months before the election. Even if there's no panic, I'll be comfortable knowing that I don't have to buy more anytime soon.

However, I would like to take this opportunity to plead with my fellow enthusiasts: There Is No Shortage, So Please Don't Spread Rumors And Create One. Remember, there are new shooters out there who need ammo. Think about this before you buy all 10 boxes of 9mm at your local Walmart; do I need 10 boxes RIGHT NOW, or can I make do with 5?
Old December 3, 2012, 11:12 PM   #10
bbqbob51

We are our own worst enemies.

Everything around here in gun shops and Walmart remains unchanged, plenty of most everything and for about the same price as 6 months ago. Of course that would all change if some clown decides to break the back of his credit card and clean off the shelves of all the 9mm, 45acp and .223, etc. Then when others see the empty shelves they react and buy everything they can get their hands on.
The result will be shortages and price increases. If my memory serves me right, pretty much nothing happened after the last election...except the shortages mostly caused my us. Sure, there are some fervent anti gun politicians like Diane Feinstein but they are in the minority. Gun control is really not that important to most and they know it is toxic if they drink the anti gun koolaid.
Old December 3, 2012, 11:21 PM   #11
bish

I saw the car line on Sat morning to get into it and it was nuts. Glad I skipped this one.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Old December 3, 2012, 11:41 PM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

Well, you can take some comfort in knowing that it's not going on everywhere. The big show in Dallas a couple of weeks ago was pretty normal. Lots of ammunition and lots of firearms and mostly reasonable prices.

Even the online ammo sellers I've been watching seem to be doing pretty well in terms of keeping ammo in stock.
Old December 4, 2012, 07:38 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
There's been a backlash against that dealer, and people have long memories when it comes to this sort of thing. The only ammunition shortage that will happen is the one we create, and even that will be short-lived.
Well stated Tom.
Old December 5, 2012, 04:36 AM   #14
Flopsweat

It's hard to find small pistol primers in my area but everything else is available and not overpriced.