The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 10, 2018, 08:00 AM   #1
kymasabe

Lightweight upper build ?? Parts advice ?

Well, I think I'm going to try to build a lightweight upper. Not super lightweight, just a little lighter than the PSA upper I currently have: (16 inch barrel, F-marked front sight, A2 flash hider, carbine length gas tube with Magpul MOE SL handguard).
So, I recently ordered an Anderson slick side upper receiver.
Ballistic Advantage is my first choice for barrel but might be out of price range for this build so was considering alternatives. RightToBear has an Anderson barrel that got decent reviews.

https://www.righttobear.com/Anderson...m-04-16lwt.htm
Barrels is pencil barrel, I've never had one before and am concerned about accuracy loss when it warms up.

Next, I have to find an affordable handguard. I like the Aero Atlas S-One I have on my other rifle but again, might be too much for this build, need something similar, light, affordable, m-lok.

Update: I just discovered MAS Defense so I'm going to check out their barrels/products as well.
Input ? Suggestions?

Last edited by kymasabe; October 10, 2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old October 10, 2018, 08:26 AM   #2
Charlie98

I had a lightweight upper built at RRA, with a light mid-length barrel. The one thing I can say is the forearm gets HOT after about 2 or 3 mags... hot enough that I now wear a tacticool glove (an old motocross glove I cut the fingers off of...) to hold the silly thing. This with a standard forearm setup, Magpul covers.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old October 10, 2018, 08:42 AM   #3
riffraff

I have an Aero 16 inch upper with a pencil barrel and 12 inch Atlas guard. Its light and was real practical to just buy that way. On sale at the moment too I think.

That is a BA barrel as its aero. Only real downside is a pencil barrel gets notably hotter than a standard barrel after a quick 100 rounds. It is a very light easy handling fun rifle, mine has a romeo5 and laser, radian raptor ch, and a fab 7 position forward handle (which I put on all my ARs).
Old October 10, 2018, 08:45 AM   #4
riffraff

Only thing I think I'd like to do is swap the stock out for a magpul.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lightAr.jpg (171.1 KB, 7 views)
Old October 11, 2018, 09:08 AM   #5
Charlie98

I guess to address the OP's question about accuracy loss after the barrel heats up...

1) I've not found a significant change in POI with my RRA upper, but I'm shooting it offhand or with the forearm resting on a sandbag.

2) I also have a DPMS Oracle carbine... I don't know what the profile of the barrel is, but I can tell you there was a significant change of POI when I was slung up.... like 5" low and left at 100yds.

I think the barrel heating up is a relative non-issue, but any torque applied to the barrel from a rest or sling is... with a narrow-profile barrel.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."